Do drum corps charge too much?

Is the price right?  

88 members have voted

1. 1. Is the Fee for an average Division 1 Drum Corps???

• Too high.
    • Just right.
    • Too low.
  2. 2. Does the cost of drum corps factor into your decision to march? Include your other costs like airfare and no job for the summer.

• Yes. I take it all into account.
    • No. It is my dream to march.
    • I haven't thought about it...... mom and dad are paying.
  3. 3. Have you decided to not march or march in another corps due to the cost? (all costs included)

• Yes. I can't march where I want because of all the cost.
    • No. I will make it work. There is always a way.
    • Mom and dad will pay for anything.

I think most corps are very fair with their fees

however, give me one good reason why the Cadets costs so much?

The Cadets ARE expensive, but from what I have seen, their corps fees have probably only increased about $200 - $250 over the past 10 years. It seems that now a days, most corps are charging between $1200 - $1500 for corps fees when 10 years ago, fees were HALF that.

I think if you take into account all of the things that a drum corps provides for 2 1/2 months (food, travel, housing, competition, instruction), you'll find that its comprable and actually a deal compared to other similar summer activities (i.e. european marching band tour trip).

However, I guess in deciding the value, and whether its too much, you need to take into account the alternatives that are available to youth today. There actually are alternatives out there that also provide a rewarding and life changing experience.

Also, while I dont think there are people out there that make millions from DCI...there are people who have made a pretty penny. You think Michael Cesario (a man so prominent he has his own collection) designs uniforms for free?

There are also some designers that have been able to land some gigs at some great programs (and high schools can pay a lot) becuase of the reputation they built in DCI.

Edited by shostahoosier

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

ANother good way to look at costs is--

Instead of looking at the "sticker shock" approach of one big dollar amount, look at what you are getting for your dollar!

Also, compare the cost of a SEASON of drum corps to what music and sports camps charge for a week or two!

Yes it costs money to do drum corps. It takes planning and effort to overcome this obstacle. I would be unimpressed to find someone go and march a different corps solely on the reasoning of money. But then again, I am a bit of an old fart who marched in an era where it wasn't uncommon to see people marching in the same group for 5, 6, 7, or more years.

Just my thoughts! Take 'em or leave 'em.

Tacco

most corps are anywhere from 600-1200

however, Cadets are closser to 2000 and up

most corps are anywhere from 600-1200

however, Cadets are closser to 2000 and up

Cadets are around $1,700 (give or take a few) if you dont include spring training, but the price of their spring training really hasnt risen dramatically over the years, nor has their corps fees.

By most corps you must mean Div II/III because lately I have been hard pressed to see a Divison I corps charge less then $1200 for summer tour.

Edited by shostahoosier

You gotta look at it from a realistic way... You go to the best summer music camp in the country and you will spend an arm and a leg... but that summer music camp will probably only be around 2-5 weeks long and you are spending a good $3,000 on the low side... Drum Corps is about 10 weeks long and you are spening half that.. Drum Corps is an awesome deal... it is just starting to average out among the other "music camps" in the country.

From a members standpoint... too much.

From a realistic standpoint... I'd say it's pretty accurate for what they're charging given food and fuel costs these days.

When there's a will, there's a way.

Sometimes, its hard to keep the will, when you've gotta get payed.

-Kevin

Ok, enough of that. If you wanna march a corps, finding money for the corps isn't as difficult as it appears. You can find lots of help in your local neighborhood (especially if they are used to you coming around with marching band fundraisers) there are corporate sponsors, parents, family and friends. The hardest part is knowing that you also miss out on all the money you could make if your worked full time during the summer that you wanna march. In the end, it is much better to just march! B)

however, give me one good reason why the Cadets costs so much?

Face it...they're a 9 time champion and have not been below 4th for the last 15 seasons. Of course that can also be said for the Blue Devils, but I have no idea what their dues amounts are.

Kids that go to Cadets are almost guaranteed a certain amount of success. They are always staffed by some of the leaders in the country in their respective areas of expertise. The corps has pushed the envelope more than any other corps in history, IMHO, and that is worth something.

Besides...if dues were TOO high, they would not have a full corps. As long as they continue to fill the ranks with tons of kids auditioning, then there's no problem. If it's too high for a potential member, you've got several others to choose from that are a few hundred dollars less. It depends on how badly you want to march in a potential champion.

Just like in retail...you pay more for Nike or Reebok than you do other brands. When you are at the top, your value is higher...whether the corps sees it that way and asks for a higher financial commitment from their members varies slightly from top corps to top corps.

hm.

I understand it takes alot of money for a kid to march... It makes it hard for kids like me to have to pay for such a thing... I'm lucky I found sponsors, and my parents want to pay for it as well.

I think the fee is not to high for the puropose, but maybe to high for some peopel to pay. I think DCI (the organization) should try opening up, and helping out individual corps a little more, ecspecially the ones that lack members, and end up having to overcharge the kids that do march (Jester comes to mind.)

~>conner

I think DCI (the organization) should try opening up, and helping out individual corps a little more, ecspecially the ones that lack members

It is not in the charter of DCI to help individual corps, especially in the financial sense.

DCI is simply there to organize the activity. It's up to the corps to support themselves.