Texas Corps?

JTE

I have read a lot of recent threads regarding corps auditions and it is my understanding that most of the top corps hold tryouts in Texas in order to cater to the large talent pool that are a result of top notch music programs in the state of Texas. I went to High School in Houston and performed in a band that was close to 200 if not more. There was never any big push from staff or any recruiting for DCI any of my years in High School in Houston. I know first hand of the potential this state has to offer as far as musicians and love for anything that involves a football field. Why do extremely talented young men and women of Texas have to continue to travel thousands of miles to participate in an activity that logically would be a success right here in the Lone Star State?

I know there were corps like Sky Ryders and Lone Star but I don’t think either of them were capable of taping the resources that this state has to offer. Can anyone explain why Drum Corps hasn’t been more popular in TX?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This has been discussed numerous numerous times.....there are a couple junior drum and bugle corps programs in the division 3 level as well as some DCA corps currently operating in Texas.

So in answer your question:

1. Look for one of the aforementioned "numerous numerous times" posts....

and

2. Just give it time, it will happen.

It's too hot!!, jk i was thinking the same thing, if Texas had a div 1 corps it would be smoking, I know revolution here in san antonio is pretty up and going, but too alot of people the thought of paying alot of money and effort for div 2 corps just doesnt sound too appealing, i think if revo turned in div 1 theyd be on fire.

I can not explain why corps are not successful in Texas, but there are currently two corps in Texas. Revolution from San Antonio and Trinity from Seguin that are active corps in division II/III status. Both corps are actively seeking membership for the 2006 season.

Revolution DBC

Trinity DBC

I feel that these organizations do not receive a greater interest because they are not Powerhouse Division I organizations. But that is just my opinion.

Thanks,

Ronald

This has been discussed numerous numerous times.....there are a couple junior drum and bugle corps programs in the division 3 level as well as some DCA corps currently operating in Texas.

and

I have done a search on Texas and Drum Corps and didn't find much discussion on this topic. If you could be of farther assistance in help locating said posts then I would enjoy reading them. :)

I understand that there are some DCA and division II corps, but I think that Texas is more than capiable of financing and staffing a championchip DCI Jr corps. I understand it is not usually a quick preocess, but I am not sure that I see the seeds for the fruit to come.

I can not explain why corps are not successful in Texas, but there are currently two corps in Texas. Revolution from San Antonio and Trinity from Seguin that are active corps in division II/III status. Both corps are actively seeking membership for the 2006 season.

Revolution DBC

Trinity DBC

I feel that these organizations do not receive a greater interest because they are not Powerhouse Division I organizations. But that is just my opinion.

Thanks,

Ronald

Thanks Ronald for you input, and I agreee with you completely. In this activity you are only respected if your corps "pays it's dues" working its way up through divison II and III. But at the same time kids would rather spend their time and money to march in the "Powerhouse Division." I would much rather see a "Bill Cook" type make something happen. But that is just my opinion.

Most of the Bluecoats, if you'd like to count that. Over 50% of the corps....

Texas is NOT a fundraising friendly state. For example: no bingo allowed. That right there puts a huge dampner on things.

and

My exact feelings. In time I am certain Texas will be well represented in DCI's Top 12.

It is my feeling that the success of a drum corps has little to do with how many talented kids live in the state, but the willingness of ONE person to make starting a corps happen. This ONE person should be dynamic enough to rally some troops, but the person has to put much time and effort in. It is my feeling that a DIV 1 corps could succeed in Texas if an individual with moxy would start one. The talent pool in the state would just be a bonus.

Let's also remember, Texas is a big ### state. What's the real difference between a kid driving accross Texas for 8 hours and a kid driving from Virginia to Boston or From Delaware to Ohio? I not sure bingo has much to do with fund raising in DCI, how many corps rely on bingo any more? As far as I know, neither YEA! or the Jersey Surf have ever had one bingo session.

Also, I believe drum corps are populated by kids that come from decent bands but not awsome programs. In my experience, many great kids in average bands want something more. I personaly never achieved success with my bad high school band and sought out drum corps to achieve a level of musicianship my school never could. When I look at my corps year book, many of the kids came from average schools, it always seemed the TOB champs never sent a ton of kids (but did send a few). Maybe the kids in the great bands don't need drumcorps?

<edited for filter circumvention: bluestarcontra>

Edited by bluestarcontra