Legends of visual design

If we are talking "legends" then one has to include Zingali and Brubaker but also Gary Czapinski, a pioneer in his own right.

In the Winter Guard Arena there's Zingali, Sal Salas, Karl Lowe, Scott Chandler and Mike Gaines to name just a few. All of them changed the activity in their own way! :lol::lol::lol:

Zingali gets my vote!

As for 1991 I think it was kind of ironic that the Cross to Cross was his last design.

1992 he had not gotten a chance to write any drill that could make it to the field due to his passing. Kind of easy to tell from the videos when he stopped... sure wish he would have been around for my age out year!!!

From what I gather from my Star friends that marched 1991, Zingali did not write the cross to cross ending. He told the marching members essentially, here is the first cross and here is the second cross and you can do what ever you want in between with 56 counts and change where you are in the last set if needed. If you look, every little group of eight people or so have thier own distinct personallity. But there is some irony to that show and his passing. You gotta know that he lives on and helping our current drill writers from time to time. The activity misses a man like him.

If we are talking "legends" then one has to include Zingali and Brubaker but also Gary Czapinski, a pioneer in his own right.

In the Winter Guard Arena there's Zingali, Sal Salas, Karl Lowe, Scott Chandler and Mike Gaines to name just a few. All of them changed the activity in their own way! :lol::lol::lol:

AND JAY

the way St Anthony's could just "glide" for 7 minutes.........

Then go to Raiders "Patty Hurst" drill was ground breaking....they no longer marched forms....

From what I gather from my Star friends that marched 1991, Zingali did not write the cross to cross ending. He told the marching members essentially, here is the first cross and here is the second cross and you can do what ever you want in between with 56 counts and change where you are in the last set if needed. If you look, every little group of eight people or so have thier own distinct personallity. But there is some irony to that show and his passing. You gotta know that he lives on and helping our current drill writers from time to time. The activity misses a man like him.

uhhhh... i'm not trying to say you're not right, but it seems like if he just let everyone do what they wanted to do a collision would be bound to happen... i also heard that he didn't write it out. but i heard that he just kind of went down on the field and moved people around four counts at a time and told them where to go... but i don't know. you could be right.

I can't believe no one here has mentioned Todd Ryan. That man is absolutely one of the greats and is on the same level of Zingali.

Its a shame he doesn't recieve the recognition he deserves. If there was one man who shouldve been in the DCI hall of fame long ago, its Todd.

And for those who say Zingali/Star this and Zingali/Star that.....Todd helped Zingali...yatta yatta yatta...

Not to take away from the brilliance and the accomplishments of Zingali, but think about the achievements of this guy first. Not to mention, Todd Ryan is an incredible example of what sincerely fiendly people should be like.

Makes me sad to think that he isn't recognized for what he is.

Edited by ZSDAvenger

I believe that Sara and many others here might agree that as talented as George was, he was even a better person than his designs. I know, hard to believe. Even at the height of his genious he would still blush when you gave him a compliment (I guess depending on who it was). Being humble was only part of what I mean about the man, but to know him was to love him. And I believe he loved people unconditionally. I certainly felt it, and felt it the very first time I laid eyes on him. He had a connection with some people that went beyond the heart. He was just a very, very different person. A little quirky in a beautiful way.

Not to say he would always be nice and sweet, when he wanted something done, he was on a mission, and he believed everything was a possibility, and anything was possible and he could and would push like no other, with respect and love and wouldn't stop until he got what he wanted. There was just a way about him, an almost sweet innocence that can't be explained. His passion was so strong I thought he'd burst and split in half at times.

As well, religion, the bible, crosses and the rosary, etc. were always a very huge part of George's life.

Edited by LancerFi

I can't believe no one here has mentioned Todd Ryan. That man is absolutely one of the greats and is on the same level of Zingali.

And for those who say Zingali/Star this and Zingali/Star that.....Understand that Todd Ryan was the Visual Caption Head/Designer for Star of Indiana from 1989-1993. And it was TODD who did the Cross drill for '91 Star.

That's not the story I heard about the cross to cross drill. I wasn't there, maybe someone who was there can tell the tale. It involved George teaching it on the fly one night in Boston before the Lynn MA show. (Which I was fortunate to attend and see the move for the first time.) So are you claiming that Todd wrote it and Zingali was out in that parking lot individually moving people to their spots and charting the move on the fly - teching Todd's drill? Cause that's not the story I heard.

And no offense to Todd Ryan, but what has he done drill wise that you can document that puts him on the same level of Zingali? I've always heard Todd was a great tech and cleaner, but nothing about his original drill design. Enlighten me... I'm honestly curious - having not seen much drill design post 1991 at all, so I hope you don't take my comments as an insult. I just am interested in what makes you say what you are saying.

Edited by SaraNYC

I beleive that Sara and many others here might agree that as talented as George was, he was even a better person than his designs. I know, hard to believe. Even at the height of his genious he would still blush when you gave him a compliment (I guess depending on who it was). Being humble was only part of what I mean about the man, but to know him was to love him. And I believe he loved people unconditionally. I certainly felt it, and felt it the very first time I laid eyes on him. He had a connection with some people that went beyond the heart. He was just a very, very different person. A little quirky in a beautiful way.

Not to say he would always be nice and sweet, when he wanted something done, he was on a mission, and he believed everything was a possibility, and anything was possible and he could and would push like no other, with respect and love and wouldn't stop until he got what he wanted. There was just a way about him, an almost sweet innocence that can't be explained. His passion was so strong I thought he'd burst and split in half at times.

As well, religion, the bible, crosses and the rosary, etc. were always a very huge part of George's life.

Very true Nancy.

And I know that I spent the entire summer of 1985 marching my ### off so I would not get yelled at by George. Oh, how terrifying that would have been!!! :huh:

But off the field? What a beautiful man.