Spirit/Crossmen Love

Probably a coinsidence. Spirits show was all about broadway musicals, why not mix in some themes from different shows?

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

WOW!! Thanks for the story, Malibu! Luckily for Crossmen, I understand they had one of the very best tours, vehicle-wise, ever this year (thanks Mr. Gallagher). Maybe not to such a degree, but corps helping others still happen. I know this past tour, Driver John from Crown helped The Cadets. A Crossmen bus driver had a dog that was suffering from dehydration in Texas and many corps members and staff "passed the bucket" around to help raise some money for a rather expensive vet bill.

I'd love to hear about other stories of corps helping others. Good thread!

Spirit and Crossmen had that bond that formed in the late 70s. As a member and staffer from the early 80s to the early 90s, I can attest that the bond sort of skipped a few years. Not that we were rivals or anything, we just didn't have that closeness that they had shared before. We did continue to give the Crossmen Award every year to the member or support person that was the most helpful behind the scenes. Freddy even exlained at our banquet when the award was given why it was called such and about the bond that was created. So, even though we had very little interaction with each other for a decade or so, we did still hold them in high regard. However, in the last few years since Spirit's resurrection in 2000 (which did include a return of many former Spirit people that would insure that the corps new more if its history), the two corps have re-kindled that bond and have remained close since.

I wish we had continued that bond in the 80s, but honestly, I don't remember touring with Crossmen much. We had a bond with Cadets and Suncoast (which could be defined as a love/hate relationship) that lasted a few short years, and both were quite memorable.

I'm glad the corps have found their way back to each other. It is a story that defines the spirit and integrity of the people that you find in drum corps.

The Crossmen actually played a very important role in the formation of Spirit of Atlanta.

They did a performance somewhere, a year or two prior to Spirit's inception that was witnessed by one of the head honchos of the Atlanta T.V. affiliate, WXIA channel 11, which would become the corporate sponsor that bankrolled the start of Spirit of Atlanta. This executive was so impressed with the Crossmen's performance that he remarked something to the extent of "Wow, we need to have something like that in Atlanta!"

And the rest, as they say, is history.

Are you the guy who made the mistake of riding on "Herbie" (bus 3) one night? That was a normal night for us! :drool:

Yep, That was me. Jim Ott and Freddy came to get me. But it wasn't a mistake. It was a blast. B) Were you on that bus? What a party !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by Jimisback