Switch from G to Bb

Just a quick question from someone who COMPLETELY missed all of this when it happened.

This year was my first following DCI since @ 2000, and my first year following it closely since I marched (yikes!). I was around during the *gradual* switch from two to three valve G horns. I played both of my DCI years on a two-valve DEG Dynasty II G soprano bugle (what a beautiful, flawed instrument it was!). Most groups seemed to have had a particular "philosophy" that drove how they chose which sections (or parts of sections) to replace first. It took most lines several years to make the switch completely. Those were awkward times, the flash of a bluish-silver chrome contrasting with a brightly polished and more mellow silver.

But it seems to me that a mixed line of G's and Bb/F's would be much uglier to manage. Did corps mix 'em up, or just do it in one move (like a band-aid--RIGHT OFF!)? If they did it all at once, how was this financially feasible?

Did some corps resist, and hang on to G's for a while? I know Troop still did (not sure if it was tradition or finances?), but did anyone try to hold on to the old G tradition for awhile?

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

well in 2000 cadets and BD did a hard switch... the next year i believe cavaliers and vanguard followed suit... 03 saw phantom switch and 04 madison gave way to changepretty much all corps have done the hard switch while there is still a market for G's in the senior corps realm.... the only exception would be colts that took a number of season so switch.

well in 2000 cadets and BD did a hard switch... the next year i believe cavaliers and vanguard followed suit... 03 saw phantom switch and 04 madison gave way to changepretty much all corps have done the hard switch while there is still a market for G's in the senior corps realm.... the only exception would be colts that took a number of season so switch.

The big years for switching seemed to be 2003-2004 when most of the DI corps who had not already made the switch found a way to do so. The Colts, as noted above, had begun using Bb tubas a couple of years before getting the rest of the hornline on Bb horns for the 2005 season. The reason for this was that the corps needed new contras AFTER the wholesale switch to Bb was underway. While they could not afford to re-equip the entire hornline at that time, they realized that buying new G contra basses would be an unwise choice in equipping a competitive hornline.

Southwind, newly independent from it's affiliation with the Madison Association, also fielded Bb horns for the first time in 2005. The only Division I G bugle 'holdouts' last year, and correct me if I'm wrong, were the Troopers and Pioneer.

I'm pretty sure the only D1 corps on G this past year were Pioneer and Troopers. So many D2 corps are on Bbs now too. G bugles are dying out fast. Last year I'm almost positive Bluestars and Spartans were the only remaining G bugles for D2. I don't know if it'll change for either of them this coming season either. Correct ME if I'm wrong. But how do you think the brass scores would compare to others if these four corps switched over to Bb in their divisions? More competitive?

Don't feel bad, I asked this question too..here's the thread if you're interested. Some pretty interesting History here.

Final switch

This doesn't count since it was just for a soloist, but the 2001 Glassmen were in G except for the solo flugelhorn, which was B-flat. I'm really glad I didn't have to be the one switching from lead G soprano to B-flat flugel (or vice versa) right in the middle of the show.

In 2002 the entire hornline went to B-flat/F.

Bandettes are and always will be Gs!

Here's a rough chart of the years corps switched to Bb (feel free to add to it or correct any error) :

Blue Devils-2000

Blue Knights-2003(?)

Blue Stars-N/A

Bluecoats-2002(?)

BAC-2002(?)

Cadets-2000

Cap. Reg.-2004

Cavaliers-2001

Crown-no clue

Colts-Tubas in 04, Everything else in 05

Crossmen-2001 (?)

Esperanza-no clue