DCI Honor Corps Video...ouch

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey, that tenor player's a #### good friend of mine. Thank you for stopping all the bashing of him. I played tenors with him and he's a great kid, just there's a lot of stuff going on right now, so thank you all for chilling out.

Anyways, this looks to be awesome. I can't wait to watch it!

Also, the Disney thing, it's a cut scene during commercials called Disney 411. I was napping and that came up, I heard DCI, sat up (mind you I was asleep), screamed "Hey! My best friend marched in that!" drooled over the Madison Scouts player, then went back to sleep. I was at my friend's house at the time and she told me this. I kinda remember seeing the TV...

how is the LER guy inside the scouts and cavies guy???

the performance in the DCI.org video is not the performance that will air on ABC. The video on dci.org is simply of the corps participating in a normal, everyday Disneyworld parade down Main St., not the ABC Xmas Day parade.

Doesn't the idea of taping a nationally broadcasted parade at night with low lighting seem kind've silly to some of you?

Not to mention, it has always been a parade shown in the morning. As far as the general public is concerned, it's a live parade, so they would have to tape it during the day in order to keep people thinking that it's live.

High School District and State ensembles meet for 1 day and can attain a pretty good quality performance by the evening. I don't see this type of preparation with the Honor Corps. Why wasn't the music passed out earlier? This was planned a long time ago, and I don't want to blame individual members for it, I just think it might be a bad idea to bring attention to this lack of preparation.

yes everyone claims that bands and drum corps are almost the same, but every time i see a marching band, i don't see a drum corps. you have to remember that bands are trained to learn a new show on the fly, drum corps aren't. we learn one show per year (2 if you are guard and do the winter season). so yeah of course some marching band can throw it together faster.

Seriously, add a few clarinets and it's right in line with a low end high school band. I think most fans and members expect more. These kids are better than that and deserve to be presented in the best possible light. In my opinion DCI dropped the ball on this one.

I very much resent that comment! we worked our a**** off for that weekend. the group wasn't even together for 24 hours before we did that performance. you can sit there and mock, but why don't you come out and do it next time and see how it feels when someone says you might as well have been "a low end high school band". that's just plain rude.

What is the saying though "Any publicity is good publicity"....

I'm sure with it being the first year of this for DCI, they will iron out things in the future regarding passing out music and other details involved. It was a parade for goodness sake, and I'm sure the kids who did it enjoyed it, and they got to spend time at Disney World.

It was not finals.

I completely agree. DCI now knows what to expect from Disney, all of the arrangements and hassels will just be routine so I'm sure things will be smoother next year.

-----

As for this whole thing, personally I had a great time, learned a lot about what it's like marching in a larger corps, what it's like doing a movie like film shoot, and how to just roll with the punches thrown at you. It was a great experience.

At one point Dan A. was going around asking everyone how they would describe DCI as a whole. At the beginning of the weekend I don't think I would have had a very good answer, but by the end of the weekend when he asked us, I said "a community". It didn't matter what corps or div you were from, no one cared, we were a family regarless. It was nice!

As for the publicity thing and how people would view us, I have a little story to tell you.

The day that we were doing the filming, there was a lot of standing around and waiting. Well at one point Disney had the guard just doing drop spins as a background to Regis and Kelly. After we were done, I overheard a little girl say "Mommy that's soo cool". Now we are talking drop spins people, nothing fancy, yet that little girl was impressed. Who cares if it's not finals ready, we were not out there advertising to the people that already know all about corps and know what it should look like, we were advertising to the millions of kids that DON'T know what corps is. If that girl thought it was cool, how can you believe that there will be no other kids just like her.

One last thought for you drumline bashers out there... When the movie 'Drumline' came out, everyone and their brother that didn't know corps thought it was an awesome movie and what they did was soo cool. Yet ask any drum corps kid and they will stand there and most likely mock the movie. If 'Drumline' can impress people, then we should have no problem.

I know this post was longer than ever, but thank you to everyone who has complemented the corps, not chewed us to pieces, and has actually read my whole post. :P

You know... the performance wasn't THAT bad. I enjoyed it, seeing multiple corps come together in such short time to put it together (must be hard, when each corps has their own style/techniques)... That's what it's all about. Yeah, it probably could have been better, but who cares, they took care of their job at hand at that time, and entertained!

what technique teaches to play out of time.?

I suppose you never got out of synch with your corps or band when you had less than a day as an ensemble, right?

How about you do it next year and then talk smack about it?

Honestly.. I've defended a lot of kids who march these days but your comments are just plain arrogant. You talk like some of the worst armchair quarterbacks we've got around here.

Way to represent! ^OO^

...not :angry:

Stef

I can't wait to see this on Christmas Day

:angry: YAH FOR THE DRUM CORPS COMMUNITY

^OO^ ^OO^ ^OO^ ^OO^ Great Job guys for pulling it together to put on a great show

Drop the LER guy, ya'll. I admitted it was wrong of me to call it out in the first place. You know the kid has the heart and dedication, if for not other reason than, he's there. He would have just completed his 4th year of corps and I'm pretty sure still going. Has the heart. So let it go.

Totally uncalled for............ <**> I have seen the video many times and it seems the tenor player just didnt have a handle on the music. Given some more practice time, I'm sure things were tightened up. :)

*Note the beginning of the video "DCI Honor Corps FIRST PERFORMANCE"

I'm sure you couldn't play your music perfectly during everydays, why blast him for having one day of practice?