Thoughts on 2005 DVD

Aaw

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[...] and yes, the ppl who booed at Indy were mostly all cavalier fans

who's talking about indy? we are talking about finals...

It sounds to me like you're just looking for people to agree with you that cavies should've won. I'm not sure if you were one of those green and black flag-waving, die-hard cavies fans that booed when they announced Cadets' score or just someone who honestly thought they deserved to win. Regardless, I think cadets were the clear winner this year.

no, I wrote what I think about cadets' show (btw, the music in the ballad was pretty good... Let me add this to my previous post) and I was wondering if I am the only one with that opinion, because it SEEMS to me that a lot of people are considering cadets' show the best one just because they got the highest score...

the boos were so loud that I honestly think it was more than "those green and black flag-waving, die-hard cavies fans", I think it was a huge part of the crowd. and the fact that they booed not only whe the score was announced, but in happened even louder when the high brass was gievn to them (right before cavies and phantom were announced winners of that caption) I don't like boos and I think that was a horrible response from the crowd for the kids, but it happened...

Regardless, I think Cavaliers were the clear winner this year.

There are a few things that bother me about what I saw on the 2005 DVDs.

1) "Drum Major so&so is your corps ready?"

DM turns around (several could not even do a proper about face) looking all bad a**, salute, take their hat off, and then give a ceesy, ****-eating grin/smile.

2) Drumlines in their features standing with feat apart and rocking back and forth.

3) Tenors playing primarily with sticks vice mallets. This problem has been around for several years, but has gotten worse. AFAIK Cadets were the only Quad line to use mallets as their primary implement.

-Integration of Guard

I think drill integration is considered in Visual effect. But it's really up to the visual designers, I see what you mean when the Cadets kept the guard seperate from the rest of the corps. It just has to be accepted as style of the drill writer. The Drill writer decided to keep the guard seperate with the cadets and the cavaliers' drill writer decided to mix them in. It's just a perspective of style I guess. I don't see how this has much to do with score. If you're looking for a specific type of integration as something a judge SHOULD consider, that's limiting the designers freedom. As long as it brings out effect, then that's whats to be considered in my opinion.

Yet the style of Jeff Sacktic and the Cadets through the years has been to integrate pretty well. Which is why it shocked me to see how little they did so in 2005. Add that to what I've seen from virtually every DCI champion since the advent of the tick system, and well, I guess it puzzles me as to why they can integrate so little and be rewarded so much. It's inconsistent with what I've seen rewarded in the past from the judges -- as recently as 2004, to be honest. Now in no way am I saying that there was a conspiratory agenda being put on display by the judging community with this one, I'm just saying-- the lack of integration severely affected my enjoyment and appreciation of the show. I don't anticipate the 2005 Cadets being on my repeat viewings list. I dig the CD however. :)

Edited by rut-roh

DM turns around (several could not even do a proper about face) looking all bad a**, salute, take their hat off, and then give a ceesy, ****-eating grin/smile.

Yeah, I don't get that either. Especially in corps that don't even have that style (laid back, personable, etc.) when their shakos off, i.e. Boston. It's not like the rest of the corps lightens up when they don't have their shakos on, so I don't get why the drum major does. A lot of the other DM's make it look really unnecessary and forced, and I really understand why it's becoming "standard" in DCI.

....but in happened even louder when the high brass was gievn to them (right before cavies and phantom were announced winners of that caption)

The fans didn't boo because the Cadets won high brass, and I think that's pretty clear to everyone in attendance/on DCP. It's quite obvious that they were boo'ing the error that was made, in announcing the wrong winners.

I disagree with most of the rest of your post, but that's not my point.

2) Drumlines in their features standing with feat apart and rocking back and forth.

3) Tenors playing primarily with sticks vice mallets. This problem has been around for several years, but has gotten worse. AFAIK Cadets were the only Quad line to use mallets as their primary implement.

konzertagentur_trojan_primas.jpg

One of my favorites of these is from 02, in which Glassmen DM Kyle Snavely winks at the audience.

DMs are an interesting lot...