Thoughts on 2005 DVD

Aaw

Did they just start doing that this year?

Nope....happened in 2001 to Glassmen and 2004 to the Cavaliers....just two I can think of right now. Not to mention the 1989 Blue Devils!!! b**bs

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

DISCLAMER:

I just wanna know if I am the only one to think what you find after this disclamer... I don't wanna hear anything about the cadets' kids, the fact that they deserved it or not (becasue all of the kids on any field of any show deserve it, just for the effort and dedication they put in what they do), about how cool the door was... whatever...

I finally (and I say finally) got the DVD and this is what I think:

- I absolutely LOVED the drum speak, I think that was one of the coolest things I've ever seen on a football field, but...

- integration of guard:

the guard is ALWAYS around or next to the rest of the people on the field... but they never "mix" them with other sections... like cavies did, for example. does anybody knows if "drill" integration is something a judge should consider?

- brass sound:

I can tell that that wasn't as good as cavies' one... even from the DVD. there's not much more to say... and I'm not talking about a different way to sound, it's about quality, but I guess this is the hardest point to make evident...

- speed:

the ballad is soooooooo SLOW... and it's a HUGE part of that show. this is not about bpm, it's about how long it takes to give the sensation that something is changing... I see a lot of snakes collapsing into squares and squares generating snakes but... even when bpms get interesting it takes so long to see a direction change... cavaliers' show changes A LOT every 8 steps, even when the metronome is not that impossible (think about the first part of movement 1).

DISCLAMER:

I just wanna know if I am the only one to think what you find after this disclamer... I don't wanna hear anything about the cadets' kids, the fact that they deserved it or not (becasue all of the kids on any field of any show deserve it, just for the effort and dedication they put in what they do), about how cool the door was... whatever...

I finally (and I say finally) got the DVD and this is what I think:

- I absolutely LOVED the drum speak, I think that was one of the coolest things I've ever seen on a football field, but...

- integration of guard:

the guard is ALWAYS around or next to the rest of the people on the field... but they never "mix" them with other sections... like cavies did, for example. does anybody knows if "drill" integration is something a judge should consider?

- brass sound:

I can tell that that wasn't as good as cavies' one... even from the DVD. there's not much more to say... and I'm not talking about a different way to sound, it's about quality, but I guess this is the hardest point to make evident...

- speed:

the ballad is soooooooo SLOW... and it's a HUGE part of that show. this is not about bpm, it's about how long it takes to give the sensation that something is changing... I see a lot of snakes collapsing into squares and squares generating snakes but... even when bpms get interesting it takes so long to see a direction change... cavaliers' show changes A LOT every 8 steps, even when the metronome is not that impossible (think about the first part of movement 1).

Guard: No, I thought their guard was integrated very effectively throughout the show. In the ballad they had the whole "chess" thing with the drumline going on, in the machine section they were dancing with the drum solos and such, and in the closer they were integrated pretty effectively as well.

Brass: I thought their trumpets sounded terrible - but I think that about most Gino lines. But the Brass Performance caption isn't necessarily about the whole ensemble sound - it's about the uniformity of technique, articulation, phrasing and dynamics. Personally, I thought BD had the best brass sound of 2005 (and of most years) but I didn't think they deserved to win brass.

Speed: I loved the ballad... I didn't think it was too slow - the drumline was double-timing for a lot of it and gave the drill some sense of motion.

It sounds to me like you're just looking for people to agree with you that cavies should've won. I'm not sure if you were one of those green and black flag-waving, die-hard cavies fans that booed when they announced Cadets' score or just someone who honestly thought they deserved to win. Regardless, I think cadets were the clear winner this year.

-Integration of Guard

I think drill integration is considered in Visual effect. But it's really up to the visual designers, I see what you mean when the Cadets kept the guard seperate from the rest of the corps. It just has to be accepted as style of the drill writer. The Drill writer decided to keep the guard seperate with the cadets and the cavaliers' drill writer decided to mix them in. It's just a perspective of style I guess. I don't see how this has much to do with score. If you're looking for a specific type of integration as something a judge SHOULD consider, that's limiting the designers freedom. As long as it brings out effect, then that's whats to be considered in my opinion.

Brass Sound-

It's a Gino Cipriani hornline. Listening to his hornlines over the years, you can tell his type of playing. It's definitely not bad, it's just different. Theres much more to the brass score than sound.

Uniformity of Method

Technical Proficiency

Uniformity of Sound Quality

Timing and Rhythmic Accuracy

Pitch Control

-speed

The ballad isn't that much of the show. The total show is 12:00 long. The ballad is about 2:30-3:00 long. It's too personally subjective of an opinion. I can't really make a comment on that.

Brass: I thought their trumpets sounded terrible - but I think that about most Gino lines.

I think the diction use of "terrible" is a little harsh.

I think the diction use of "terrible" is a little harsh.

i'd put it somewhere in between SCV 04 and Cadets 00 as far as harshness of tone is concerned (SCV 04 being the better one)... just listen to the drum tape - there are points when he walks by the trumpets and it's just..... bad. i don't know. there's no doubt that Gino lines are loud...

It sounds to me like you're just looking for people to agree with you that cavies should've won. I'm not sure if you were one of those green and black flag-waving, die-hard cavies fans that booed when they announced Cadets' score or just someone who honestly thought they deserved to win. Regardless, I think cadets were the clear winner this year.

Of course anyone that booed must of been a Cavaliers fan....thanks for reminding me!!! <**>

Stop it.

Of course anyone that booed must of been a Cavaliers fan....thanks for reminding me!!! <**>

i wish my signature still said "75% of DCP-ers could not pass a 12th grade reading comprehension test."

simply because i said that i thought he was "one of those green and black flag-waving, die-hard cavies fans that booed when they announced Cadets' score" doesn't mean either a) that everyone that booed was a cavaliers fan or b)that all cavaliers fans booed. i'm just going on what other people have said about large groups of cavies' fans being visibly disgruntled and not afraid to let their displeasure be heard.

Edited by TTitans909