Colts

True, I wouldn't want someone marching by me like that, but still things have changed in that respect. I guess alot of things have changed, people's mannerisms, etc.. That just wouldn't have been tolerated where I marched because it was a different time back then, I guess is what I'm saying.

It's understandable now, but just wild reading it.. :).

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Speaking strictly for the brass section, yes all spots are up for grabs.

Clearly I would love to have all the vets I can, I it makes the corps better, and a tighter unit short and long term. From what I saw of the Colt vets this weekend, nobody is taking anything for granted. They know what they have and are taking care of business. Nobody on my staff is looking to "clean house."

The expectation is as the corps grows, the vet membership grows with it, that is nothing new. The expectations are high, from myself and them. Frankly I was most impressed with everything I saw and heard. The potential for growth is there, the true desire for greatness is there.

In the rare (!!!!!) case that something like what is being kicked around would occur, it would not be out of caprisousness, there would be a solid reason for it. None of us are stupid enough to just walk in and willy-nilly start disrupting the progress that the corps has made in the past couple of years. Again, speaking for myself and my staff, we are respectful of what has gone on. Personally, I am grateful and tickled pink to have the opportunity to get my hands on this horn line, especially after the last couple of HARD YEARS that Chuck and I spent trying to make the Troopers a viable Div. I drum corps. (I might add that I have a good chunk refugees from Wyoming with me again this summer, again very grateful and tickled pink)

I am very fortunate to walk in on a situation that was a good one before I showed up, and I have Mike Bolla, Tom Lazotte and last year's staff to thank for that, not to mention Chris Tomsa.

I will say this, to be a Colt this year is maybe more competitive than it has been in years past. The standard is being set by the veterans. They are hungry and so am I.

*Just a personal observation on this topic and others I've read. There seems to be a mispersception of Div I drum corps that they have become some sort of uncaring, unfeeling, competitive mad...thing. This is my 24th year in drum corps, it has not changed much from when I marched in terms of the family aspect. Members still develop the same bonds as we did 20 years ago. I have been in the Crossmen, Carolina Crown, Blue Knights, and Troopers organizations as an instructor. The people who have been in charge of those groups are all about the kids experience above all else. Some are have been better at it than others, but the same desire to do right by them has been there.

I look at the amazing progress Crown has made since '02. Knowing the integrity of the fine people involved over there, they most certainly would never sacrifice their core beliefs and philosophies, as it relates to the members, to get a number. Somehow, I get the impression that the persception is out there that competitveness and real compassion for the members are exclusiove to one another. Not about Crown...let me make that clear, but about Div. I in general. I yse Crown as an example because they are a group that has improved their competitive standing. I know Kevin Smith and I know the commitment of the BOD to the members is first and foremost, always.

For whatever reason, and maybe it is our fault for not communicating that to the rest of you who's connection to drum corps is this service and are no longer able to be involved on the intimate, day-to-day level I am, but it is always about the students who come to us. At least with the groups I have been involved with, that is all I can speak to...however....knowing a great deal of the other folks around the league, as it were, they are no different. Nobody is getting rich of doing drum corps. We do it for the same reasons the people before us have, because we love it and we love the people we do it with.

Jason Buckingham

Brass Caption Head

Colts

Edited by Amil Muzz

I am glad they changed that rule before 2004.... as I understand it, there was tension within the corps because of that rule. It was based on the idea of "family", and that you can never be kicked out of a family... but some people abused that security, and it hurt the corps. I'm not speaking for anyone but the few Colts I know, though... I'm not judging what they choose to do, but it didn't seem to meet much resistance. My seat partner my rookie year would practice Cavies audition music on the way to shows... I wanted to punch him. bottom line is, you want the people in your corps to really, really want to be there because they love it. Not because it was easy to get into, or because they had a guaranteed contract, or because they weren't allowed to audition anywhere else for fear of getting cut.

Sounds to me as if the earlier guideline was conceived in the belief having members committed to Colts outweighed the prospect that "open" auditions would secure better talent and/or performance. The new guidelines suggest the current regime expects the opposite.

I don't know which is right. I suspect in a year such as this where it might be possible to glean some extra talent that previously might have gone to Troopers, "open" auditions might be wiser. That would be all the more true if you had reason to believe the nearby Wisconsin/Illinois corps had plenty of returning vets and wouldn't take too many new faces.

In the end, though, the key for any corps is to retain its best talent. Success is the best way to do that irrespective of open auditions or veteran priviledge.

HH

I love all of what you say here, Jason.

From the perspective of a marching member -- which wasn't too long ago (1992, lol!) -- I would welcome such a challenge. I would know coming in that I would need to step things up and continue to "bring it" each and every camp, rehearsal, lunch break, etc. I would also know that my veteran bretheren, who all have confirmed their commitment by not trying to go to another corps, are doing the same thing. Together, the entire organization -- policy on down -- has commited to a higher level of excellence, and that's exciting to me as a marching member.

I say, "Go Colts!"

Speaking strictly for the brass section, yes all spots are up for grabs.

Clearly I would love to have all the vets I can, I it makes the corps better, and a tighter unit short and long term. From what I saw of the Colt vets this weekend, nobody is taking anything for granted. They know what they have and are taking care of business. Nobody on my staff is looking to "clean house."

The expectation is as the corps grows, the vet membership grows with it, that is nothing new. The expectations are high, from myself and them. Frankly I was most impressed with everything I saw and heard. The potential for growth is there, the true desire for greatness is there.

In the rare (!!!!!) case that something like what is being kicked around would occur, it would not be out of caprisousness, there would be a solid reason for it. None of us are stupid enough to just walk in and willy-nilly start disrupting the progress that the corps has made in the past couple of years. Again, speaking for myself and my staff, we are respectful of what has gone on. Personally, I am grateful and tickled pink to have the opportunity to get my hands on this horn line, especially after the last couple of HARD YEARS that Chuck and I spent trying to make the Troopers a viable Div. I drum corps. (I might add that I have a good chunk refugees from Wyoming with me again this summer, again very grateful and tickled pink)

I am very fortunate to walk in on a situation that was a good one before I showed up, and I have Mike Bolla, Tom Lazotte and last year's staff to thank for that, not to mention Chris Tomsa.

I will say this, to be a Colt this year is maybe more competitive than it has been in years past. The standard is being set by the veterans. They are hungry and so am I.

*Just a personal observation on this topic and others I've read. There seems to be a mispersception of Div I drum corps that they have become some sort of uncaring, unfeeling, competitive mad...thing. This is my 24th year in drum corps, it has not changed much from when I marched in terms of the family aspect. Members still develop the same bonds as we did 20 years ago. I have been in the Crossmen, Carolina Crown, Blue Knights, and Troopers organizations as an instructor. The people who have been in charge of those groups are all about the kids experience above all else. Some are have been better at it than others, but the same desire to do right by them has been there.

I look at the amazing progress Crown has made since '02. Knowing the integrity of the fine people involved over there, they most certainly would never sacrifice their core beliefs and philosophies, as it relates to the members, to get a number. Somehow, I get the impression that the persception is out there that competitveness and real compassion for the members are exclusiove to one another. Not about Crown...let me make that clear, but about Div. I in general. I yse Crown as an example because they are a group that has improved their competitive standing. I know Kevin Smith and I know the commitment of the BOD to the members is first and foremost, always.

For whatever reason, and maybe it is our fault for not communicating that to the rest of you who's connection to drum corps is this service and are no longer able to be involved on the intimate, day-to-day level I am, but it is always about the students who come to us. At least with the groups I have been involved with, that is all I can speak to...however....knowing a great deal of the other folks around the league, as it were, they are no different. Nobody is getting rich of doing drum corps. We do it for the same reasons the people before us have, because we love it and we love the people we do it with.

Jason Buckingham

Brass Caption Head

Colts

Sounds to me as if the earlier guideline was conceived in the belief having members committed to Colts outweighed the prospect that "open" auditions would secure better talent and/or performance. The new guidelines suggest the current regime expects the opposite.

*The Colts return rate is 70% this year and this policy has been there for a season or two...that number says a great deal I think. In any relationship when commitment is equal from both parties things are better.

I don't know which is right. I suspect in a year such as this where it might be possible to glean some extra talent that previously might have gone to Troopers, "open" auditions might be wiser.

Glean, is a good word for it. The biggest problem, besides not filing 990's, the Troopers have had the last couple of years was numbers. The small numbers of Troopers refugees is not enough to change anyone's policies, however I had 6 Troopers at Colts camp, that is 1/5-ish of the horn line from last year.

As both a member (1987-1991) and a part of the management, Operations Director, of the Colts (1992-2000) I was able to be a part of the shaping of the try-out rule. As Chuck wrote previously the corps was used as a stepping stone to the other top-12 corps in the region. It was frustrating as a member to have fellow members talk about how they had been cut by Madison and were going to try-out for them again next year. The corps was a perennial 20th place unit. After the 1989 season the corps imploded. Many members did not return or were not asked back. 1990 brought the beginning of the Bridges, Naffier and crew era. At that time the directors and the corps membership leaders wanted to establish this rule to ensure the Colts were the destination corps, not the stopover-for-a-few-months-until-my-favorite-corps-takes-me corps. At the time most members of the Colts could make a spot with any corps. It was rare someone did not make another corps.

The policy did not exclude members from other corps, it made, as Chuck stated, the returning members figure out if the Colts were right for them, to see if they wanted to be a part of building a program and being a building block for the future of a great organization. The policy seemed to work given the high number of multiple year (3 years or more) members in the 90's. (I am not in-the-know to know what the current retention rate is) It is doubtful the try out rule had much of an influence on this rise in membership and standing. The commitment of the members in the 90's was the reason for the success. As a result of this retention the competitive side of the corps also succeeded. With the competitive success came more potential members. With more potential members the possibility of a higher talent level became available. The added exposure of a being a finalist corps also brought more talent to the corps. All the while, like most corps, the family aspect, not competition, was stressed.

It is a different discussion about an "open" audition versus members gaining a spot automatically. All corps want to have a talented membership. In the 90's, with the Colts, it would have been a very rare occasion for a talented individual to be denied a position in the corps. The Colts did not offer specific positions. You were offered a membership in the corps. If a soprano spot wasn't open you may be offered a mellophone spot. No room in the bass drums, we would love to have you in the pit. Welcome to the organization. Here are 127 of your best friends, you just have not met them yet.

Both policies worked for that era of the corps. It is a new era for better or worse. Having spent a few days with the corps last summer the commitment to making the Colts the best corps possible is still there, from both the membership and the staff. If there is enough concern over how the membership is selected and retained the management will listen to the members to mold the corps to their liking, just as was done 15 years ago.

George Auffert

Colts

Mellophone (1987 - playing a position in the corps, not my first instrument choice)

Soprano (1988-1991)

Operations Director (1992-2000)

Housing Coordinator (2001)

Volunteer (2005)

It is a different discussion about an "open" audition versus members gaining a spot automatically. All corps want to have a talented membership. In the 90's, with the Colts, it would have been a very rare occasion for a talented individual to be denied a position in the corps. The Colts did not offer specific positions. You were offered a membership in the corps. If a soprano spot wasn't open you may be offered a mellophone spot. No room in the bass drums, we would love to have you in the pit. Welcome to the organization. Here are 127 of your best friends, you just have not met them yet.

Both policies worked for that era of the corps. It is a new era for better or worse. Having spent a few days with the corps last summer the commitment to making the Colts the best corps possible is still there, from both the membership and the staff. If there is enough concern over how the membership is selected and retained the management will listen to the members to mold the corps to their liking, just as was done 15 years ago.

George Auffert

Hi George!!!! :) Was glad you could come out with us for awhile last year!

We still do not offer specific positions within the corps - last year we got to tour with too many high brass players and not enough low brass players (difference of three I think). We asked around, and two members stepped up and took up the contra and one a baritone. Quite a switch, but it all worked out.

I think the new "rule" was partly implemented because the vets wanted to push each other in the off season. It's definitely working - kids are coming in more prepared then ever, and I like it! They're really starting to push the staff, and that's a good thing.

I'm excited for this year - each section at the dog and pony yesterday sounded (and in the case of the guard - looked) better than ever. Now I just gotta fix all the posture in the hornline, teach technique, etc!!! Can't wait. B)

LeAnn Splitter

Visual Tech 03-06

Soprano (2nd) - 01-02

Chuck and George:

Since I know you guys and you were there when the policy that I speak of was first implemented--your insight is invaluable. (Ahh Chuck the days when Gene (that is the person who is the leaf on the Fruit of the Loom commercials) and I were in the gymasium lobby in Fort Madison in early June 1983 calling all leads to fill up the ranks in 83 and counting all the people who use to march now marching with another (top 12) corps was frusterating--yes the Colts were a stepping stone to make it in the big time. Like George said, when you and Jeff got on board the Colts moved up and I was very proud. And yes George I remember the 89 season and the implosion--just like it was 10 years earlier in 79.)

My last question is--and maybe I missed it, but is the policy still the same regarding if a vet tries out with another corps are they barred that year to return to the Colts?

I think (after aging out 19 years ago) that is a great policy--would have not set well when I marched when I tried out and made the cut with a top 12 corps, only to return back to the Colts in 82 from the prodding of some great vets (thank God that they did)--and am so glad that I did (that is come back to the Colts.) My experience in drum corps in general, but the Colts specifically, has aided me gargantually in my professional life.

Jason--give us a kick ### season this year. Though I live in far west Texas (the last frontier) I am going to make it a point this summer to see the Colts as many times as I can. I have a real good feeling about the Colts this upcoming year. I spoke with my Dad yesterday, who lives in DBQ, and who is not a drum corps conneissuer (sp?), who mentioned the Colts camp this past weekend and what he heard. This from a man who does not mention anything until he sees the Colts over Memorial Day Weekend. Something is up.

J

Chuck and George:

Jason--give us a kick ### season this year. \

I spoke with my Dad yesterday, who lives in DBQ, and who is not a drum corps conneissuer (sp?), who mentioned the Colts camp this past weekend and what he heard. This from a man who does not mention anything until he sees the Colts over Memorial Day Weekend. Something is up.

J

MUAHAHAHAHAHAHA.....

JTB

Edited by Amil Muzz