Colts

I just checked out the Colts website and it says that all spots are open for auditions.

Did they not have a policy where a returning member retained their spot and any newbies would only be trying out for vacant positions?

If true, does that mean the Colts are playing with the big dogs and may move up a position or two with better talent in the ranks since nothing is guranteed to returning members (whom may not be the best talent)?

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's been my experience that all spots are usually "open", meaning no gurantees. In most cases a vet who WANTS to come back is a no brainer, so why not let all the auditioners feel at home by stating they have as good a chance as anyone? Heck, even if a corps has a policy of vets are automatically in, any vet not cutting the mustard (would have to be seriously not cutting it, like not showing up) would be ask to leave.

This just a good marketing tool, and a good way to keep vets on their toes during the winter months.

In their most successful competitive era (approximately 1993 - 2001) the policy was:

All vets are guaranteed their spots assuming the following:

1) Said vet makes a committment to the corps by the first camp (either by attending or sending in fees and reserving the spot)

2) Said vet did not try out for another corps

If the vet did not communicate with the corps, the spot was up for grabs -- meaning they would have to audition for a spot if one was open.

If the vet tried out for another corps, they were no longer qualified to march for that season with the Colts, even if they did not make a spot in that other corps.

Usually the first reaction is "wow, that's harsh". . . but the reality is, the corps built a power in tiny little Dubuque, Iowa during this time. . . a feat yet to be matched or surpassed.

Chuck Naffier

Part of the team that already did it there. . .

In their most successful competitive era (approximately 1993 - 2001) the policy was:

All vets are guaranteed their spots assuming the following:

1) Said vet makes a committment to the corps by the first camp (either by attending or sending in fees and reserving the spot)

2) Said vet did not try out for another corps

If the vet did not communicate with the corps, the spot was up for grabs -- meaning they would have to audition for a spot if one was open.

If the vet tried out for another corps, they were no longer qualified to march for that season with the Colts, even if they did not make a spot in that other corps.

Usually the first reaction is "wow, that's harsh". . . but the reality is, the corps built a power in tiny little Dubuque, Iowa during this time. . . a feat yet to be matched or surpassed.

Chuck Naffier

Part of the team that already did it there. . .

so, what your saying is...

if one of your vets went to try out for another corps, and didn't make it, but wanted to come back... they won't be able to march, even if they try out like a normal new person?

~>Conner

so, what your saying is...

if one of your vets went to try out for another corps, and didn't make it, but wanted to come back... they won't be able to march, even if they try out like a normal new person?

~>Conner

I'm saying that's what they did when I was there in the 90's.

The reason that guideline was put into place was because all during the 70's, 80's, and early 90's, the Colts were literally bleeding members to Top 12 programs around the country (during that time there were former members of the Colts in almost every Top 12 program).

It worked.

People who wanted to be part of the corps loved it -- they knew they could look to the people on either side of them and count on them to be there for the whole experience. That was mightily important in building the program that had historically existed somewhere between 35th and 20th. And. . . it wasn't something the vets were unaware of. The corps was VERY upfront about the policy. It was brutally honest, and it made people who wanted to go elsewhere truly understand the reason they wanted something else. . . and made those who stayed truly have a sense of accomplishment, building a program from nowhere to Top 12 status 6 out of the last 7 years of the 1990's.

Whether they still do that or not. . . I have no idea. I do know they've only been in Finals one time in the past 6 seasons.

Chuck Naffier

Colts Alum (Sometimes proud, sometimes not)

Both of the rules Chuck is reffering to were decided to be removed prior to the 2004 season. Yes any vets spot is up for grabs. No the Colts will not just bail out on you if you are a vet and show knowledge and AN ATTEMPT to gain more knowledge. The rule is in place so that the kids who are vets just do not slack thinking I have a spot who cares. This is in place to get more talent in the door to raise the bar. We have been told recently the only difference between 24 and 1 is what you expect to when people walk in the door and I believe it. A vet who was good in 05 but hasn't practiced in 4 months will not help but hurt the corps, musically, in the leadership category and in other stages.

The other corps policiy, it has changed, not exact behind the logic.

I hope that has answered some questions

Probably worth throwing in that the DM spot is the only spot that isn't open to first year members. That can only goto a vet, but of course that is understandable.

Wow things sure have changed since I marched. :ph34r:

A vet used to be something to strive for not something with "guidelines" and rules...

Unfortunately, there are some vets (today and even back in the day) who took their spots for granted. They would skip rehearsals, be delinquent in their member obligations, show up in the spring thinking that they were entitled to a spot, they didn't know their music when they came back, or their chops were in terrible shape.

I don't know about you, but I don't want someone like that marching next to me. I could care less if they marched for ten years.