What happened to Court of Honor?

Does anyone know if the debt will be taken care of so the name can be used again? :bleah:

Drum corps in Georgia will be hard pressed to gain a foothold again on the junior level for quite some.

Some history to explain things for you.

After Finals were held in Atlanta in 1984, quite a few corps left schools trashed and there was pretty major fallout from a housing standpoint for quite some time for Spirit. One major metro Atlana county eventually completely banned any "overnight housing" due to problems related to that situation.

Even if principals were unaware of the situations because band directors/students/boosters cleaned up/fixed up as much as possible, many football coaches and band directors at that time were the ones left to deal with the fallout from some negative treatment of facilities. As we moved into the later 80's and 90's, guess who moved into Administrative positions making decisions about use of facilities?? Those same coaches and band directors who had such a negative experience.

Add to that, the fact that the administration of Spirit burned some bridges with the music education community in the mid to late 90's and you had a very negative "vibe" for junior drum corps in Georgia for quite some time.

When Court of Honor was founded, I was asked to run the educational side of things with the understanding that I was to have total control over the educational/performance side of things. I had no desire to deal with the management side of things and made that clear. I was willing to offer advice but I knew if I accepted the request, that I would have enough on my hands trying to run a "startup corps" from the educational end of things without having to worry about the logistical side of running the corps.

After getting the feeling that many of the hard feelings towards Spirit might have eased, I agreed to take on the educational side of the corps after feeling quite confident that things were being handled in an above board manner and there were long term plans for solid financial footing. Until shortly before it's demise, I, along with almost everyone else associated with the instructional side of things was led to believe that those things were true

When it was founded, I along with a couple of other local music educators, put our reputations on the line with the music education community for how the corps would be handled, treat facilities, treat kids etc...... The first year was rough to get going, as we had to overcome some of those leftover "negative vibes" from the problems with Spirit under the management of the mid to late 90's. With the success of the first year and some "proof in the pudding", other local students, parents and directors took notice. I was able to attract some other quality staff members for the second year (when I could actually pay them SOMETHING, rather than asking them to donate all their time AND expenses as they had in the first year) and as more people took notice, the quality of the corps membership improved.

The second year was incredibly successful from a performance standpoint. Without going into any detail or laying blame, it was most definitely not successful from a financial management standpoint. Some very well meaning people were in over their heads in a multitude of ways. Eventually, the financial roof came collapsing in on them.

I left the organization immediately after the corps performed in Denver in '04 due to some disagreements with management over how the educational side of the corps would be run in the future. After processing things over a period of time, I've come to the understanding that those disagreements were most likely caused by me asking "big picture questions" that no one had the answer to as much as by how those issues were being framed at the time.

Unfortunately, in the attempts that were made to try to salvage the organization moving into the '05 season, many students, band directors, parents, staff members, music companies, college and school administrators began asking the same questions I had begun asking in August of '04. Most were left feeling betrayed, un-informed and left with a VERY bitter taste in their mouth when the corps finally admitted it's financial situation and folded in early winter '05.

My understanding is the debt is fully cleared. Most unfortunately, to get to that point, it involved bankruptcy for one individual and the acceptance of a large financial loss on the part of the only other board member.

Because of the "negative vibe" now associated with that name in the Georgia area, I cannot imagine anyone wanting to take that name again were they attempt to start a corps. I also can guarantee that many of the same music educators, school administrators, music companies etc... that were so willing to help the last time would be VERY wary to move in that direction again. Some of them have felt as if they were "burned twice"..... by Spirit, at some point before they departed for JSU and once again by Court of Honor when those people/organizations had finally relented and "taken the plunge" to support drum corps in Georgia again. It has even caused some tension for me with some vendors and friends to this day because I personally asked them to help us out and they were burned when things went down.

There is a group that has expressed an interest in starting a junior corps in Georgia again. They have spoken with me about whether I would be willing to help them if they make the decision to move forward. The key players have been extremely successful in the various ventures they have involved themselves in over the last decade or so. That includes from a fiscal, management and results standpoint in each venture they have undertaken. I have, however, advised them against it for at least the next decade because so many people have had such a negative view of the last two incarnations of junior corps locally. For students wishing to participate in junior corps, there are certainly viable options for them with both Spirit and Crown only a few hours away and Memphis and Teal Sound within one days drive. For those looking to "build experience", there are two "All age corps" willing to accept anyone with the right work ethic in the Metro Atlanta area. All six of those corps have had staff, volunteers and membership join them from the very talented students, staff and dedicated parents that were "Court of Honor".

Good intentions are never enough. One must surround themselves with experienced, talented people in ALL facets of ANY organization and then turn them loose to do their job. Some people make the mistake of trying to run the business end well and "make it work" instructionally. Others try to go the opposite direction, hoping that the success of the corps will drive the success of the financial management end. Neither works, it must be a partnership of excellence and that is why long term success in all facets, (financially/managerially/instructionally) is so rare in this day and age.

Court of Honor was a wonderful idea and it was VERY well intentioned. I stay in touch with many of the kids, staff and parents that were involved and many have moved on to great things. It was good while it lasted, but due to the many problems involved with it's demise, it is my humble opinion that it should remain as it is now; a memory, positive in many ways for those who participated or witnessed those kids performances.

Best wishes and I hope that provides a little more insight,

Later, AA

Edited by nhsalan

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:bleah: Wow. :bleah:

Yeah, Probably more information than you wanted.... LOL

As is the case in most of these kinds of situations, there are a lot of reasons that the corps didn't survive, many of which I won't delve into here. That truly is just the "brushing the surface" version.

Let me clarify two things, one at the request of someone else and one for myself.

The current management and staff at Spirit had nothing to do with the problems that were caused by the management of the mid to late 90's. In all actuality, the move to JSU and eventual "taking over" of the corps was neccessitated by some of the same problems that caused such negative feelings among the music education community in Georgia in the 90's.

Second, I have never believed (as some others actually do) that the management mistakes that were made involving Court of Honor were ones made out of any deliberate attempt to defraud anyone.

In my opinion (and the opinion of many others closely associated with the corps) though they were driven by some personal issues, they were truly mistakes made by people who "meant well" but just (as one of our former very loyal volunteers put it to me) "Didn't understand how much they didn't understand" if that makes any sense.

Best wishes to all the corps that will field this summer and a special bit of good luck to all those students, parents and staff who shared those two rather incredible seasons with us.

Later, AA

I'll second that way. Cool background information, although unfortunate at the same time. Was the trashing of schools that occurred in 1984 an isolated incident, or did it happen a few years around it without notice? If it was a single case, what prompted it? Also, when did Spirit move to Alabama?

I'll second that way. Cool background information, although unfortunate at the same time. Was the trashing of schools that occurred in 1984 an isolated incident, or did it happen a few years around it without notice? If it was a single case, what prompted it? Also, when did Spirit move to Alabama?

It wasn't SPIRIT that trashed a school in '84 it was MULTIPLE other organizations that were housed at schools in the Atlanta area the week of DCI Finals (Finals were held at Grant Field in 1984). It happened that week in 1984 and was a problem for Spirit in finding schools willing to house us for years after that, even though it wasn't US that had caused the problem.

Had it been Spirit in that era, the corps marching caption head/corps manager Brad Caraway would have swept up any of the offending trash using the members responsible for the trash as his broom. :bleah:

That was the sad part, Spirit actually had a great reputation for leaving the places they stayed well kept.

Spirit moved to rehearse in J'ville in the later 90's. I actually took Bill Duquette (the director at that time) to Jacksonville to meet Ken Bodiford (the band director at JSU) and work out the details of the corps using the University as a rehearsal home even though the corps remained "based" in Atlanta for several years after that. I honestly don't even remember what year that was.... Sorry. The corps literally was absorbed by the University as performing ensemble of the Music Department beginning with the 2001 competitive season.

Later, AA

:blink::laugh: Crawling up in a fetal position sucking thumb. :huh: :( :blink:

Sure is something to take to heart and avoid repeating. :( Thanks for the raw details. I'll try not to have any bad dreams tonight. :sshh:

I was a member in '04 and Ill never forget that summer and what we accomplished.

And none of us that taught you will ever forget you or what you accomplished either Kayla. I'm not sure anyone could be prouder of all the success each of you has found since moving on other than your parents.

Tell them I said hello,

See you on the road this summer, A

And none of us that taught you will ever forget you or what you accomplished either Kayla. I'm not sure anyone could be prouder of all the success each of you has found since moving on other than your parents.

Tell them I said hello,

See you on the road this summer, A

Who are you working with this summer? Rumor has it you may be a judge?