What happened to Court of Honor?

Rob,

Thanks for that story. There were a bunch of talented kids and staff people involved with that corps.

For several reasons however, that's the first time in a while thoughts of Court of Honor had made me smile. Glad you enjoyed that show and those kids. They were all very special and many of us were very sad to see that opportunity for kids to have the drum corps experience die.

As has already been mentioned, many of those kids went on to march elsewhere. As a matter of fact, I just got an email tonight from my former flute section leader (I was her HS BD as well as one of her drum corps instructors) who marched Baritone for us at CoH. She just got her contract to march in the 2006 Spirit hornline this weekend. She went from the weakest player in a Div III hornline to a spot in a top 12 drum corps and there are MANY more success stories like that to share from the membership of those two years worth of CoH.

Best wishes to all those kids as they continue their careers.

Later, AA

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But other than the CorpsVets, Georgia is pretty much empty of drum corps, especially junior corps.

There might not be a junior corps in GA now, but you're still closer to two Division 1 corps than many people are. Of course it depends on where you are located in GA, but Jacksonville, AL and FT Mill, SC are not incredibly far away. Think about kids in some other states where their closest corps is 3 or 4 states away.

Back in my day, I lived up to two hours away from Atlanta and I made the drive every week. Back in the early 80s, we had hornline rehearsal weekly. So...if you have the desire, you have not one but two corps within your reach, not to mention the CorpsVets which are right in Atlanta and are quite competitive in their division of DCA.

I may have missed this in the first post, but what do you (original poster) play?

There might not be a junior corps in GA now, but you're still closer to two Division 1 corps than many people are. Of course it depends on where you are located in GA, but Jacksonville, AL and FT Mill, SC are not incredibly far away. Think about kids in some other states where their closest corps is 3 or 4 states away.

Along those same lines...you also have Memphis Sound up in Tennessee. Our camps are held about 7 hours away from where you live, but it's worth it! I drive 5+ each way for camps and it's only once a month, so it's not that bad. We have had and still do have a few members from Georgia, so you *might* be able to find a ride (check our forums) and you definitely wouldn't be the only Georgian there.

We had our first rehearsal camp this last weekend and things were going great, so depending on what you play (or spin)...if you're interested, there's definitely room. I believe we may have a couple of spots left in the hornline, depending on which section you would be interested in, and a few spots left for Guard. Unfortunately, I think the drumline and front ensemble is practically set if you're a drummer.

You can check out all the information at:

www.MemphisDrumCorps.org

Either way, good luck with whatever you chose! Marching corps is a great experience and you definitely do not want to let it pass by. If you can't make the drive to another corps this year, stick with CorpsVet - they're a good corps, as are many "senior" corps. DCA is full of talent and exciting shows, just like DCI.

--------

About CoH though, they were awesome! The members were very friendly and a lot of fun to hang out with. We shared a housing site with them in Denver for finals in 2004 and shared a "free day" in Estes Park together. One morning their hornline woke us up to either our on-field or theirs...I really can't remember, seeing as how I was still half asleep. lol The next morning our drumline woke them up by playing our cadence. It was such a surprise when they barely missed finals that year, but that definitely didn't dampen their other accomplishments. They were a great corps with a great show. As mentioned earlier, their kids are marching other places - we have a Soprano that is going on her second year with us, having marched Court before they folded.

Edited by SoonerFan04

I play mellophone. I've actually played clarinet for about 7 years but decided a few months ago that DCI was so amazing, and it couldn't let myself not do it. So a few months ago I borrowed a mellophone from my school, bought myself a UMI 1736 mouthpiece, and started practicing and getting help from some of the top brass players in my band. I'm sure where I'm lacking in playing ability, I can more than make up for in marching ability, musicality, and determination though.

I play mellophone. I've actually played clarinet for about 7 years but decided a few months ago that DCI was so amazing, and it couldn't let myself not do it. So a few months ago I borrowed a mellophone from my school, bought myself a UMI 1736 mouthpiece, and started practicing and getting help from some of the top brass players in my band. I'm sure where I'm lacking in playing ability, I can more than make up for in marching ability, musicality, and determination though.

I know what you mean, I saw my first live show in 2003. I had seen drum corps on TV before, but not in person until I saw The Cavaliers, Magic of Orlando, Boston Crusaders, Blue Knights, etc. at the Broken Arrow, OK show. Once I saw the Cavies...I knew I had to march. Someone who was on drumline with me for 2 years while I was in high school was marching Memphis that summer ('03), so as soon as November rolled around I found my way to auditions. I'm going on my 3rd year this summer (age-out in '07) with Sound.

Determination and attitude is the key without a doubt! If you want to march bad enough, you WILL find a place to march. The attitude of the individuals is what makes the corps successfull, regardless of the outcome of that season score-wise, so you're already on the right track.

Like I mentioned, we still have spots in our hornline at Memphis if you are interested. However, I believe the only ones left are Baritone and Contra according to the website. Ever consider marching Bari? B)

I hope you find a place to march this summer, you'll love it. Good luck!

thanks robroy and soonerfan04! it's great to know that people still remember court of honor. the members in 2004 (and im sure 03, but i didn't march then) were all really great, determined people. after the corps folded, we all had to go our separate ways, but on tour when we do get a chance to meet up at shows, it's as if we never left eachother. i live in ga as well and spirit is less than two hours away. I've heard that marching corpsvets is a really great experience too.

I am not sure where you are in Georgia, but if you have difficulties traveling out of state and just can't manage to join a junior corps, come by and visit us at CorpsVets. I am an assistant program coordinator and a drum major for the corps. For my day job, (hehehe) I am the band director at Rockmart High School. This has been our primary home for the CorpsVets for at least six or seven years. We are located in NW Georgia. I have three of my own high school students marching in the corps, with two more considering. You would not feel out of place. Feel free to email me if you have any questions. gregory0729@aol.com

Alliance is in Georgia also, and came in 3rd in class A