Talk About a Great Opportunity

OK this is a seriously long shot but all help would be helpful:-

In the Atlanta olympics the Cadets made an appearance in either the opening or closing ceremonies (or Both), as the the UK has the Olympics in 2012 how would you go about trying to present a drum corps from the UK ( in either the opening ceromonies or closing) to put DCUK on the map to the world ???

PS this idea came from my daughter who is what I consider to be a half decent melophone player !!!!!

OK this is a seriously long shot but all help would be helpful:-

In the Atlanta olympics the Cadets made an appearance in either the opening or closing ceremonies (or Both), as the the UK has the Olympics in 2012 how would you go about trying to present a drum corps from the UK ( in either the opening ceromonies or closing) to put DCUK on the map to the world ???

PS this idea came from my daughter who is what I consider to be a half decent melophone player !!!!!

My best suggestion is contact George Hopkins and ask him how the Cadets' appearance came about.. Maybe he knows who to contact or how to go about it?

Good luck!

Stef

Just don't let them dilute the activity by putting a great entertainer like Bill Irwin in a role that is completely foreign to what we do...

And BTW, didn't SCV perform at the 84 Olympics? Anybody? I remember reading about it beforehand, but it never gets talked about. Is that because it didn't end up happening after all?

Edited by tommytimp

Just don't let them dilute the activity by putting a great entertainer like Bill Irwin in a role that is completely foreign to what we do...

And BTW, didn't SCV perform at the 84 Olympics? Anybody? I remember reading about it beforehand, but it never gets talked about. Is that because it didn't end up happening after all?

I believe that SCV was invited but declined because it interfered with their tour schedule.

Don't forget...that appearance was not The Cadets-plus-some-guy-named-Bill...

It was a star turn by Bill Irwin using The Cadets in the supporting role of being "his band".

Mike

I love this site for so many reasons :-

(1) your so helpful

(2) you come up with the best ideas

and (3) your all #### bloody nice people

PS I now have to put your Ideas to DCUK

• 2 weeks later...

In the Netherlands, they held the paralymics (olympics for desabled) in, i think 1989.

A group of people planned to make the biggest, all Dutch, drum & bugle corps, ever!

They wrote to every drumcorps and people could sign up for this project. They held several practice day across the country and held a three day camp and the performed three songs (+drill) on the openings day.

It was a great day. i.e: 40 cymbals, 50 soprano's 50 snares etc. etc.

Maybe this is a good idea for the UK corps?

I can forward you some information about the people who set this up back then.

Don't forget...that appearance was not The Cadets-plus-some-guy-named-Bill...

It was a star turn by Bill Irwin using The Cadets in the supporting role of being "his band".

Mike

Exactly what I mean...Why the ####?