Deepest Regrets to the Martin Family

Cru2u

It is with great sadness to announce the passing of Harvey D. Martin Jr on January 10th.

Harvey David Martin Jr., 78, died peacefully January 10, 2006 at Carolina’s Medical Center in Charlotte, NC. Harvey was born in Gloversville, NY August 11th 1927. He is preceded in death by his parents Harvey and Ethel Martin Sr. and sister Gail McKee. He is survived by his wife Shirley of 58 years, four sons, Harvey David III, Garry A., Timothy M., and Scott A. Martin, Niece Chrissy Lieberman, eleven grandchildren, and three great grandchildren. Mr. Martin worked as a sheet metal worker at Local #46 Rochester, NY. He was a dispatcher for the Greece Volunteer Fire Department (NY). He was involved in numerous Marching Drum and Bugle Corps and a member of the Rochester Crusaders Senior Drum and Bugle Corp hall of fame. Mr. And Mrs. Martin moved to St. Augustine FL and subsequently to Charlotte, NC to be closer to both their children and grandchildren.

Services will be held at McEwen Funeral Services on Park Road in Pineville, NC on Saturday January 14th at 2pm. A celebration of Mr. Martin’s life will be held at the DCA World Championships in Rochester, NY on Friday September 1st between 4-7pm. In lieu of flowers the family requests that monetary donations be made to The Harvey Martin Drum Corps Scholarship Fund c/o 66 Old Stone Lane, Rochester NY 14615.

Harv was a GREAT Guy both in the Drum Corps world and in his personal life where he was always offering advice and cheerful comedy......you will sorely be missed! :( An announcement with details to his Celebration of Life plans for DCA weekend will be announced soon. God Bless his family in their time of loss!

Wow...that really sucks. Harvey will be missed by many drum corps people.

My sincerest condolences to Shirley and the rest of the Martin family.

Donny Allen

Donny Allen

Ditto. Swan's gotta be feeling very low. 2 of his best buddies have crossed over recently. Now Harvey and Gus are partying and he's still down here.

:(

Donny Allen

Ditto here too. So sorry to hear such sad news. My best to the Martin family!! R.I.P. Harvey.

Guess my first recollection of Harvey was when the Phoenix hornline played PINES OF ROME to him over the phone when he was in the hospital back in late '75, or early '76. A real friend of drum corps and a nice guy. My best to the family.

Mike Covell

Guess my first recollection of Harvey was when the Phoenix hornline played PINES OF ROME to him over the phone when he was in the hospital back in late '75, or early '76. A real friend of drum corps and a nice guy. My best to the family.

Mike Covell

Talking to Scott Martin today we were talking about that time in winter of 1975-76 that Harv was the 1st triple bypass performed in Monroe County and how well he responded to give him another 30 years of Life......It had to be his zest for life and wanting to be here for Shirley and his family!

God Bless, Harv! :angel:

My deepest sympathy to all the Martin Family, and to Mrs.Martin I want to tell you how much Mr.Martin meant to many of us that had the pleasure and the privilage and honor of knowing this great man most of our lives. Mr.Martin will always be remembered as a pillar of courage, and the amount of respect he deserve as a husband and father could never be measured.

My deepest sympathy to all the Martin Family, and to Mrs.Martin I want to tell you how much Mr.Martin meant to many of us that had the pleasure and the privilage and honor of knowing this great man most of our lives. Mr.Martin will always be remembered as a pillar of courage, and the amount of respect he deserve as a husband and father could never be measured.

I am glad that Sharon and I had the chance to visit with Harvey, Shirley and the Boys in Winston/Salem and again in Scranton this summer.

Harv was one of the driving forces that allowed Phoenix to achieve what they did in 75-76. It will take a long time to get over this one, it's like loosing a favorite uncle.

Sharon and I would like to extend our deepest sympathy to Shirley, David, Gary, Tim and Scott.

Make room in heaven's drum corps, here comes one of the best.

Benny

Edited by bariforhire