DCI 2002

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BD 02 . . their terrible "rendition" of Channel One Suite. That just made me angry.

Ah yes. Wayne Downey's Variations on a Theme by Bill Reddie.

Ah yes. Wayne Downey's Variations on a Theme by Bill Reddie.

:lolhit:

:laugh:

Edited by LaSqueegee

IMO Friday night was one of the best nights of drum corps I've seen in years. First BD came on and whereas Thursday it was sort of lackluster, Friday was magical. They connected with the audience in such a very personal level. My family who rarely gives standing ovations for any corps, stood up almost as fast as I did. Up to this day I have not yelled and jumped out of my seat that fast for any show.

After that the Cadets came on and they threw down their best performance of the year. Their emotional performance had us out of our seats in no time as well. Both BD and the Cadets had a lot of punch that year in terms of sound. I think it's something in the Madison air.

Then the Cavies came on and simply made everyone's jaw drop to the ground. I still feel all three corps gave their best performance Friday.

It was just one of those special nights where the audience was feeding off the corps. Wasn't that the night the Royal-Airs played as well after the show?

Anyway, great memories. Saturday was just as a good. The Cadets and Devils were the crowd pleasers that year along with Madison and the Cavaliers made you appreciate the activity on a whole other level.

The DVD's show just how good the Cavies were ahead of the other corps in terms of execution and design. What the DVD's don't capture is the energy these shows had. It's one of those "had to be there" moments.

YES! I completely agree. I just turn it off after House on the Rising Sun (or is it Land Of The Rising Sun?)

House. And I agree as well, except I wouldn't even watch the beginning. The ONLY reason I'd watch that show, is for House of the Rising Sun.

Cavies 02, very much > BD 02. Look at BD's opening drill move, in the circles! Lack of clarity of form of that nature cannot be found anywhere in Frameworks. Perhaps if BD's show entertained me at all, or I enjoyed their music selections, I would feel differently (just to mention that I don't say this ONLY because of cleanliness), but that's how I see it.

I didn't like BD's sound that year, either. 2001 BD has admittedly grown on me, but I don't see the same thing happening with their 02 show.

I like BD, but 2002 is probably my least favorite show of theirs, ever. I also think that 2002 is the weakest BD hornline of this decade.

Ok yeah, exactly. I like '05 more, and I'm not even a very big fan of that show. From the era of their distinguishable music selections (aka basically ENDING with the '02 show), that show consists of my least favorite repertoire since '89, IMO. (sorry to those who like the '89 show.)

And, if you might remember, did anyone see Blue Devils early in the season? I remember watching them thinking to myself "THIS is Blue Devils?" They were terrrible early on. They cleaned up fairly well by the end...

I saw them at Jacksonville, AL, one of their first performances of the year. You are dead on - THAT was not the Blue Devils that we know. It looked ragged, sounded weak and thin, and they didn't perform with their usual swagger and bravado.

Fast forward to Murfreesboro several weeks later. That was a HUGE difference! Charts re-written in spots to be more crowd-pleasing (a few soprano solos with octave jumps into the stratosphere never hurt!), drill was tweaked and performed much cleaner, the drum line racks were a cool spectacle (don't remember them at the AL show - ???), and the confidence and showmanship was back!!! And the guard was selling their part quite well. I had poor-mouthed them before their Murfreesboro performance, but I was glad to eat my words a short time later!

There were too many re-writes (which were very necessary for them to do) for BD to win that season. They ended up with a great product and performed it well, but Cavies had the entire package from the start of the season and never let up off the gas pedal. Congrats to BD for not throwing in the towel and giving us a great show! Congrats to the Cavaliers for giving an audio/visual presentation of a "Green Machine"! It looks like we'll be seeing more Machine from them this year, also!