Recruiting Ideas

This thread is just to chew the fat on what has/does work and what is a waste of time.

I'm not sure how this would work for DC, but as a recruiting effort my high school got together with the junior high and middle schools and played a huge concert together for friends and families. I think it was also a bit of a fundraising idea in that they charged for the tickets and split the monies. Has this ever been done with a DC and a highschool for a field show/football game or anything? I think it sounds like fun!

This thread is just to chew the fat on what has/does work and what is a waste of time.

I'm not sure how this would work for DC, but as a recruiting effort my high school got together with the junior high and middle schools and played a huge concert together for friends and families. I think it was also a bit of a fundraising idea in that they charged for the tickets and split the monies. Has this ever been done with a DC and a highschool for a field show/football game or anything? I think it sounds like fun!

I don't know if it's such a recruiting tool, more a PR tool, but the Reading Buccaneers are normally the halftime entertainment at the Berks County All-Star football game in the spring. I just know because of seeing it in advertised in the local paper, for more info on that Jeff Zehner could probably help you out!

When I marched with Erie last year, we did a concert in a small local amusement park during the summer. This was to promote our fundraiser we were doing, as well as to definitely pull in some hidden talents that didn't know we were there. Gary Matczak could probably help you too!

Edited by ErieSopMike

Lancers Alumni try to give a standstill every year at a local HS band show or concert. Because our membership is locally based (almost all members live within 20 miles of Hanover) it's our way of getting the word out to potential members.

Carolina Gold recruits in the fall at area band competitions many times there are two/three competitions in one weekend. In the winter, we recruit at indoor guard shows. This year, the corps will be utilizing a "brass ensemble" which will perform at indoor venues, art openings, and community events. The corps also holds a family/friends fundraiser and has gotten one or more high school bands involved. Great idea about doing a concert with a/few high schools.

Lancers Alumni try to give a standstill every year at a local HS band show or concert. Because our membership is locally based (almost all members live within 20 miles of Hanover) it's our way of getting the word out to potential members.

That's a great idea, most of our members are spread out though. We do have a "brass ensemble" working on some things for events.

Edited by spiniki

Carolina Gold recruits in the fall at area band competitions many times there are two/three competitions in one weekend. In the winter, we recruit at indoor guard shows. This year, the corps will be utilizing a "brass ensemble" which will perform at indoor venues, art openings, and community events. The corps also holds a family/friends fundraiser and has gotten one or more high school bands involved. Great idea about doing a concert with a/few high schools.

From what I hear it's been working. I've heard the hornline is already bigger than it was last year. I miss you guys and wish you all the best. I look forward to riding down this summer and checking y'all out.

MoKeefus

That's a great idea, most of our members are spread out though. We do have a "brass ensemble" working on some things for events.

Every now and then I see a post that reminds me of the changes over the years (OK decades :( ) and this was one of them. Keep forgetting that today even the smaller corps have to reach out to a large geographical area to get enough members.

Brass Ensemble is an idea I never heard of before and sounds great to me. Especially in Sr/Alumi corps where far away members, jobs and school get in the way of gigs. The real mess is when a gig falls on a week night.

mon valley express goes to local hs band competitions, and indoor gaurd and drum shows, a few times we have gone to the one local DCI show in early-mid june. even if we're not recruiting we'll talk to people in the stands at shows. our members tend to pull in alot of their friends.

and there is always the way i was brought in along with a few of my friends "the draft". :ph34r:

i was basicly told that since the group was in my town and like 3 minuts from where i live, and being that i was a horn player if i didn't show up to practice the brass instructor was going to drag me out of bed and down to practice. and he told a coupple of my friends that he lived by them and knew where they lived to and that he would be at their house at __ on a saturday.(he was also my band director.) and being the 16 year old that i was back then with out thinking i went "ok".

Edited by krazyivan

:ph34r: dragging neighbors out of bed for practice sounds like a good idea...

too bad none of my neighbors play brass :(

MBI does a lot of full-corps and section recruiting at high school events. Last year we did two preview Bando shows, one for a local HS who was having their end of camp sneak peak for the parents (my alma mater, Irondale) and we also did the District 11 preview Bando show. It's the first show for all the northern Metro schools in the Twin Cities with us finishing up (I don't think anyone is judged). These serve two purposes for us, one as a recruiting tool and another as a chance to perform our show in August when we typically have few opportunities in the Midwest.

Also last year different sections of the drumline helped out with clinics at the MN Day of Percussion. The bassline and cymbal lines gave three clinics each all in one day as a full line and current and former members of the snare and tenor lines also gave individual clinics. Drumline turnout has been pretty good the last few years which could have as much to do with the level we're currently playing at than our recruiting efforts, but every little bit of exposure helps.

Funny story: When we agreed to do the clinic we were told there would be about 10-30 kids at each one and that we should speak on a beginning, intermediate, and expert level. Well, as the first clinic starts, about a HUNDRED kids file into our TINY room so we had kids in front, behind, and all around us with all five of us and our drums crammed in there. The third clinic had more than that! I had a very informative clinic planned that everyone was very bored with until we played a fours exercise and our streetbeat to tremendous applause. Mental Note: fours = good clinic memories