star 1992

My memory of that year was that Star's hornline was indeed wonderful, and the performance level was incredible, but that the show did not appear to be intended to entertain. I can remember thinking, the arrangements were so dry that the corps could actually play the National Anthem in a company front with the stars and stripes all over the place, and draw only mild applause. I think if you're going to wave the flag and do the patriotic thing, you have to put some old-time spirit into it, or its just going to seem contrived.

By contrast, Cavaliers never seemed as tight as Star, but the show was a musical masterpiece - I wanted to see and hear it again and again. The arrangements were captivating, and very entertaining by contrast. The ballad had the crowd in tears. I think that's why people wanted Cavies to win. Although 92 Cavies wouldn't be on my short list of strongest corps I've ever seen, it is on my short list of most breathtaking shows I've ever seen.

Who deserved to win? Hmm, if you're going on just performance, yeah Star. But I was happy to see the most entertaining show get the nod in a close contest. In fact, I remember being glad they won so I could enjoy the Cavies' music one more time (in encore).

Thanks for the compliments. I'm sorry, maybe I sound like someone decrying racism at all turns, but I just don't believe there was no bias...especially when you consider we were in the midwest. We got much better responses in the South and East Coast all year. We had WWII vets in their VFW uniforms bawling and saluting us at the end of Amber Waves. Contrast that with the crickets that could be heard after major hits at a DCM show.

A perfect example of the bias is to listen to resonse given to the Troopers that year. They also played Flag of Stars (our closer) and they went ape shhhheeeart because they were The Troopers. Maybe my tastes are just very different from the average DC fan (and they probably are), but I thought their arrangement was trite and watered down. I know this will sound offensive, but I didn't think their performance was all that inspired either.

I think this is the first time I've heard Jimmer's arranging style called "dry," but of course, everybody has their own favorites. Canadian Brass liked his Amber Waves arrangement :P I guess I like more challenging music. I thought Cavies arrangements were elementary. All the tough parts were given to the pit.

I will say this. I didn't particularly like our music choice. I thought the opener was pretty cool and fun but I just don't like Flag of Stars all that much. I really liked Amber Waves and Chester hmm...not my favorite piece (except for the chorale). I thought Jimmer did the best he could with the source material he was given. I really wish we hadn't tried to placate everyone and gone ahead and played Rite of Spring that year. They would've really loved us then :P

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really wish we hadn't tried to placate everyone and gone ahead and played Rite of Spring that year. They would've really loved us then :P

Ironically, that may be the ultimate reason why the show failed to land with the audience (at least when I saw it). It FELT like the org was sort of dumbing themselves down in an attempt to be popular rather than being who they were. Sort of like those albums where classical singers try and show how populist they really are by singing show tunes and pop hits. Not a good fit.

The kids were spectacular, Chuck Naffier once said he considered that hornline one of the best ever, and the drumline was dealing as well. (If I had Bob Dubinski in my face 24/7 I'd have been dealing too.)

The show itself...not so much. With the exception of Chester (the chorale/drum feature) I've always considered the in-your-face 'rah rah, America is great' message something I'd go out of my way to avoid at Epcot. Extremely well played, just not my cup of tea as far as design goes. YMMV, as always.

I didn't mind the patriotic theme of the show, and the playing was wonderful. It was the scrim that I found way over the top - a distraction, much like last year's picnic tables, etc. out of the Cadets. In contrast, I found the Cavies' show very appealing - no gimmicks. I was glad Cavies won. To me at that time, it seemed like a victory for straight ahead drum corps.

Edited by Jim Anello

Ironically, that may be the ultimate reason why the show failed to land with the audience (at least when I saw it). It FELT like the org was sort of dumbing themselves down in an attempt to be popular rather than being who they were. Sort of like those albums where classical singers try and show how populist they really are by singing show tunes and pop hits. Not a good fit.

Totally agree...It was like the KISS disco album.

I will say this. I didn't particularly like our music choice.... I really wish we hadn't tried to placate everyone and gone ahead and played Rite of Spring that year. They would've really loved us then :P

I think you just described what I was trying to say better than I did. I actually loved the angular abstract stuff from 1991 and 1993. The patriotic thing, though, seemed a bit forced, to me, from up in the stands.

I think you just described what I was trying to say better than I did. I actually loved the angular abstract stuff from 1991 and 1993. The patriotic thing, though, seemed a bit forced, to me, from up in the stands.

Yep...I have a hard time watching the video. When I listen to the CD, I listen just to enjoy the performance itself and the cool ways that Jimmer layered things. Of all the "post-pink" Star shows, I probably listen to '92 the least.

I really think if Zingali was around, things might've been more integrated and more palatable from a visual perspective (less sugar). Instead, Dr. Kryszecki (bless his heart) was kinda left to fill the creative void unchecked and go hog wild with the "glitter." In the end though, it would still be a patriotic show...a very narrow bridge to navigate over an ocean of cheese.

It was awesome. My 2nd favorite (well 3rd favorite) Star show after 1991 and 1990. Very tight race for the top 3. Wouldn't have argued with any of the three winning or any of the three (Cadets, Star, Cavies) taking 3rd place. Star's show was definitely my favorite of the year. Such complex and deep brass writing - best in DCI during that era.

To give you an idea HOW good their horn line was, I remember our horn tech Richie Hodge actually MADE us go sit in the stands to watch them because "THAT was what a hornline SHOULD sound like!!"

Thanks!

I believe we played the pieces very close to original and tried our best to display our technique and did not water down the pieces. As said above by another I wish we would have continued on our show selection course but we did not and can not change that. From purely listening it is my favorite to listen to the brass technique but falls in 4th for me to watch the DVD. I will say that 91' is my least favorite to listen to of the 90's shows.

The finals DVD is the real finals performance. IN the semi finals version you can hear Barry Hudson calling out hit numbers as we had labeled I believe 12 impact points in the show. There was not a big missed release or anything at finals that needed to be covered up.