Displaying your horns

JimF-LowBari

I would love to see a picture of that!

Ditto, plus I'd like to know how high the ceiling is. In my 1956 mass produced cheapo rancher I'd have to leave a path so I wouldn;t smack my head.

Dang, reading these reminded me I have a 1920s Nickle(?) plated trombone in the cellar too. Bought it at a flea market because it was made in my hometown (Harrisburg). Looks nice but a real piece of crap as the pieces don't lock together real well. Wierd mouthpiece too as it's cone shaped but flat where it connects to the shank. Looks like someone made it in metal shop. Hmmm, do I hang that up too or just hide it. :blink:

Time for a new avatar so I can show off B)

Edited by JimF-xWSMBari

Yes, by all means, share.

OK, OK :P Have a few days off this coming weekend, hope to look into joining Flicker or another site to post pics. Never got around to setting up our own website. Have some other DC related shots I've been wanting to share too. I'll post links here when I'm set.

Ooops, the group that sold me the last horns want a shot of me playing one for their records. Forgot to do that pic too. :blink:

Two suggestions:

They have lamp kits at Home Depot and you can secure the bell to a stand and work the wiring through and Voila!, you have a cool lamp. Seen these several places.

On the more adventuresome side, I have 4 Tympani (fiberglass shells) that were of no use to anyone and missing tons of parts so it would have been more expensive to fix up than scrap so I put them to good use. They are currently planters in my back yard with the rims standing upright over the back of them and Ivy working through and around the rims. This is on three of them and the 4th is designated for an old Trombone. I bought a fountain kit and have plans to set that up through the bell.

Gee and here I have the crazy idea of actually playing the things every now and then. :P

OK, just joined Flickr and started taking some pics of what I have. Here are a few of the three older horns. I'll change the pics as I get working on the display. Also when I get the time I should crop the pics for a better view. Bear with me folks. :worthy:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/14488996@N00/?saved=1

Edited by JimF-xWSMBari

That one valve tenor bari with the valve lock is a looker. DId you have it refurbished, or was it like that from the maker?

Horn was bought on eBay the way it appears, pure luck on my part. But the price did get within a few bucks of my limit. Have an idea some people saw that the horn wasn't shiny and though there was a problem with it. Shocker was the horn was advertised as mid 1950s and the valve lock wasn't mentioned. Also what looks like the original mouthpiece was included. Inside of the bell needs cleaned up badly but afraid to touch it with anything strong.

Wondered about the finish when I bought it but got the answer from Jeff Mitchell and others. It's the original flat/matte/frosted finish direct from the company (in this case Conn). From what I was told any horns that came out with imperfections in the finish wen thru the matte process. That is the outside of the horn was lightly sandblasted to give it that weird look and sold a little cheaper than the other horns. The finish floored me as I played a P/R Olds Bari with that finish in the 70s. And I'm sure cost had a lot to do with our (broke) corps buying them.