This one is For the Kids Adding Woodwinds Or Guitars

Ok this one is for the younger ones in the Activity when I say younger ones.. I mean 12-22 year olds that are out here reading.

First off I love what you all are doing. I love that you are in this activity and keeping it going. I am just curious as to how you all see drum corps. Since I am getting "up there" in Age 41. I know times are different so I was wondering the following things. So if you can help me out..

What is Drum Corps to you?

If Woodwinds or Guitars where added would that make you think of Drum Corps different.

Would you still March etc..

Again to all of you out there marching I wish you all a great season and experience.

To those that want to march. Do it man. No matter how big or small the corps do it. You will get something out if one way or another..

Thanks again

Oh and to the older folks I know alot of you have your thoughs on this but really Let the younger ones answer. sorry if it sounds mean..

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Drum Corps to me is the never-ending pursuit of perfection. The only way to get all of the wonderful memories that everyone talks about, and the only way to be able to enjoy doing what you do iis to be good at it. To me, Drum Corps is hard work for the sake of the members and the audience.

If Woodwinds, Guitars, anything not brass gets in I would absolutely refuse to march DCI. DCA here I come. I already wish that we were still in G, but I can see the reason behind the switch. Woodwinds etc. nope not me. In terms of how I would think about the activity, I would still be fine with the activity in general. Like I said, there's DCA. But DCI, I would hate it.

Well, I may be in the minority here, but I feel that drum corps is drum corps, not marching band, or anything like that. It has it's own identity, and needs to be kept that way. IMHO, amps are ok, but only for small things, like amping the pit, or really light and short voice things (basically, 2005 Bluecoats = Good; 2004 Crown = Bad). However, I know I'd probably would still march if there were woodwinds, but it would be harder for me to get myself to do it, since it's not what I originally intended to do in my summers. Fall is the time for marching band, IMO, and summer is the time for corps. They are different, and should be kept that way.

I'd still march, for the sole reason that my high school marching band is torture to do because I love the activity so much (don't get me started...), and I want a place to really feel like I belong because I love marching. It would just be different.

Edited by crashhelmi36

I doubt any of the major changes will take place before my ageout in 2008. I had never heard of the amp proposals until I first joined these boards back in 2004, so I don't know exactly how long it took for them to pass, but from what I've read, it was quite some time. That's my reasoning on that one...

I'll be honest and say that I wasn't particulary fond of our encore music this summer (if you saw it, you know what I'm talking about). However, it was fun to play for the audiences, and the crowds (especially Pittsfield) seemed to really get into it.

Do I think it will be the end of the world if electronics eventually pass? No, but once the woodwinds come (hopefully never), I'll have different feelings on the situation.

drum corps to me is an educational and entertaning activity that has pretty much taken over my life

i feel that woodwinds would completly change the activity and take it somewhere i wouldnt like it

if woodwinds we added i would not march in that corps or league

although i do support marching band and find that also entertaning

just drum corps more

i would probably still march...but i wouldnt be proud of the product especially from a historical standpoint...its getting farther and farther from drum corps...and more like...anything goes musical (and electronic) performances that happen to be on football fields....

I would still march, but always refer to the "old days" when they weren't allowed. I was a woodwind player myself, and my stance on the issue will always be, if you want to march drum corps, learn brass or a drum or color guard. Sacrifice your chops, I know hundreds of music major ww players who do it. I switched to bari and have since made it my major instrument, so I think it helps kids to find "that" instrument for themselves.

What is Drum Corps to you?

It would have to be a family working towards the greater good. That's as general as I can put it. It's not exactly the most well thought-out response, I know...

If Woodwinds or Guitars where added would that make you think of Drum Corps different.

Yes, I would think of "drum corps" as marching band. I would feel as if drum corps lost the "intense" factor it still has...sort of. Woodwinds make me think of prancing unicorns and rainbow-colored lolipops. You don't need a different instrument to be creative.

Would you still March etc..

I'd still march, but I would be royally ###### off.

To me, drum corps is about the lessons you learn. It's about the skills you aquire. It's about meeting your most lifelong friends. It's about dedication, excellence, and rewards.

Drum corps is also about traditions and the history of the actvity we hold dear. It's about being a part of something bigger than yourself that only a few people have ever been privileged to share. I'm a firm believer in tradition and respect for history and the people that came before--- for these reasons I have a hard time agreeing with the acceptance of woodwinds in drum corps. The ideals would still be there, but the flavor of drum corps would never be the same. It would be marching band, and I would not march if they were accepted, simply out of protest. Guitars and electronic instruments, while hard for me to swallow, would be easier to accept.

Hmmm.......I already don't like the way DCI is heading. I don't so much mind the amps. But it is drum and bugle corps for a reason. We are not a choir. That being said I don't like the whole amped vocal stuff. But that's not the question.

If woodwinds and guitars were passed, I would absolutely not ever march DCI again. I respect all instruments (ok maybe not all, silly flutes. :P ) but they have no place in drum corps. There's plenty of people who have converted from woodwinds to brass to march drum corps. One of my friends switched from clarinet to trumpet, and even she claims that woodwinds would be the worst thing to ever happen to dci. Now, I've been in this activity for a while, as my signature notes, and in most scenarios I would say that I'd never be able to stop marching. I've already gone against what my parents wanted, but this I would stop marching over.

It is something special that we have here. There are plenty of organizations that aren't for everybody. Boy Scouts and Girl Scouts are separate, so why can't Marching Band and drum Corps? it's just the way things are.

as for some other things, like encore and retreat I wish that DCI would take some input from the members, and when I say this I mean seriously consider what the members have to say, rather than just the corps directors. After all, this is an activity for US is it not? There are many things that have happened over the past few years that many corps members don't agree with. Kind of sad. oh well.