WANTED: CG3S Mouthpice

randomnoise

I am looking for a Claude Gordon CG3S Trumpet Mouthpiece.

Can you help?

I am looking for a Claude Gordon CG3S Trumpet Mouthpiece.

Can you help?

What does the S stand for?Silver?

I have several in both gold and silver but will keeping all of mine.Its a great piece.I use it on the field and in the concert hall.

BTW in case you didnt know,, they are made by Kanstul.The best place to buy them on the net is Pick Music.The girls name is PC king and she is wonderful to work with.

Contact PC King: 717/266-0665 or pcking@pickmusic.net

Edited by camel lips

The S on bach's normally mean a larger throat. In conjuntion with a sharper rim and shallower cup in some cases. But the CG would probably mean a Conn mouthpiece. Not that I would know being a non-trumpet player.

The CG3S is a Lead players mouthpice - like a CG3, but shallower. I had one in Silver, it is lost. I now have one in gold, but it is pretty dinged up. Plus, I don't like gold mouthpieces - too slippery for me.

This mouthpiece is no longer made. BD's Lead Sops played on them in the 80's, but noone seems to sell them now. The Kanstul guys at NAMM couldn't help me. I have put a watch on eBay, but thought someone around here might have one they would part with.

Chris,

Kanstul should be able to make a copy of your gold plated CG3S in silver and it would brand spankin' new at that. If not, you could find a number of companies that would be more than glad to copy it.

My search is for a vintage Purviance 4*K4 in my never ending quest to find the right piece.

Jeff, Bush program consultant

Edited by Jeff

Chris,

Kanstul should be able to make a copy of your gold plated CG3S in silver and it would brand spankin' new at that. If not, you could find a number of companies that would be more than glad to copy it.

My search is for a vintage Purviance 4*K4 in my never ending quest to find the right piece.

Jeff, Bush program consultant

I checked with Kanstul about that.It would be $250 bucks to do a copy of the mouthpiece.

I found out lots of information about this mouthpiece that I will share with the public in about a week.Its very interesting the road that this thread has taken me down.

I checked with Kanstul about that.It would be $250 bucks to do a copy of the mouthpiece.

I found out lots of information about this mouthpiece that I will share with the public in about a week.Its very interesting the road that this thread has taken me down.

$250?????????? :worthy: Nevermind................

An old lead player friend of mine, who has more mouthpieces than anyone I've ever know, thinks the S relates to the shank and not the cup. He says that CG's were never made with a shallow cup as Claude Gordon was very much against them. But then again, he said you never know what you might find.

$250?????????? :laugh: Nevermind................

An old lead player friend of mine, who has more mouthpieces than anyone I've ever know, thinks the S relates to the shank and not the cup. He says that CG's were never made with a shallow cup as Claude Gordon was very much against them. But then again, he said you never know what you might find.

Jeff,,,that is the information I have been able to gather to date.I even have a email from Wayne Downey that says there was never a shallow cup version of the Cg3.

The s designation does refer to the shank.Kanstul made the s designation for Bach style tapers and a different designation for Benge style tapers.

I have a Cg3s coming in and plan on making a cast of each.I will publish those once I get the info together.

Looking long and hard at this.There is a cg10 that is a bit smaller and seems to be a bit shallower than the cg3.I have one of those on order just to play with.Also the Extream Brass website with Wayne Downey shows a WD! that is build simular to the CG3 and it is a bit shallower accourding to Wayne.I might give that one a try if this CG10 does not work for me.

Jeff,,,that is the information I have been able to gather to date.I even have a email from Wayne Downey that says there was never a shallow cup version of the Cg3.

The s designation does refer to the shank.Kanstul made the s designation for Bach style tapers and a different designation for Benge style tapers.

I have a Cg3s coming in and plan on making a cast of each.I will publish those once I get the info together.

Looking long and hard at this.There is a cg10 that is a bit smaller and seems to be a bit shallower than the cg3.I have one of those on order just to play with.Also the Extream Brass website with Wayne Downey shows a WD! that is build simular to the CG3 and it is a bit shallower accourding to Wayne.I might give that one a try if this CG10 does not work for me.

Benge supposedly made the CG models in 1,3,5,7,and 10 to correspond to Bach sizing, but I've never seen a 1 or 5. Claude Gordon played on a personal model that was a V cup with a 22 throat. The numbered models are C cups as is the WDTR1, which is in my collection.

Visit here for the mouthpiece. This site is run by Patty Gordon, Claude's widow. It's $52.45 in silver.

Hope this helps you out.