Old photos - don't know who they are...

Was there ever a corps from baltimore named the Hurricanes. I figured it wasn't CT Hurricanes. I thought maybe it was a smaller corps from Balto. My husband's grandfather was the director of Sacred Heart DC that was affiliated with the church of the same name back in the 50s. I was told that there were oodles of little corps around back then. Like I said, I have no clue. I do have old pics of Sacred Heart though. I'll add them soon.

Thanks,

Chalet

Here is the link to 57 Legion PRELIMS which HURCS WERE AT!:

http://www.corpsreps.com/scores.cfm?view=s...&showid=1957102

Hope all this info Helps and doesn't just confuse! Thanks!

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Compliments of www.dbcna.com. Less detail than corpsreps but they have listings of older corps that corpsreps doesn't have. No slam on corpsreps, dbcna just goes back farther.

Hurricanes All girls (spon) AL James C. Ludwig Post 139 Baltimore, MD Junior corps

The listing doesn't have years when the corps existed so they don't know.

Edit: Just looked and see a Sacred Heart Boys and Sacred Heart Girls listed for MD but absolutely no info except the names.

Edited by JimF-xWSMBari

#1 DM unis look like the Brigs, but I do not recall the corps ever wearing dark pants.

Photo # 1 is Definitely NOT the Hurcs, but Quite possibly the Syracuse Brigadiers! Any older Brigs care to comment on the DM's Uniforms... Looks like the ones in use in the current corps Honor Guard!

Give me some time on the All Girl Corps!

Corps In Red...Not sure!!!

I did NOT see ANY corps in any of these that looked like the Hurcs??? don't quite Understand the written thing there...you might try the Hurcs Tribute Site...address is in Dave Sherry's over Links List.

Still trying a few of these myself, but these are CERTAINLY PRICELESS!!!!! :blink::blink::blink:

Thanks Much for sharing them!!!! ^OO^ ^OO^ ^OO^ ^OO^ ^OO^ ^OO^ ^OO^

#1 DM unis look like the Brigs, but I do not recall the corps ever wearing dark pants.

Yeah, you are correct..I don't either but 57 was 2 yrs before I was Born...and the DM's DO look like what I remember the corps wearing in the 60's...also in the 60's Alan Smythe (Sp?) used to wear different color pants than the corps proper, so maybe I AM confused..........any other older Brigs out there care to comment..OR does anyone have a picture of the 57 Brigs???

Compliments of www.dbcna.com. Less detail than corpsreps but they have listings of older corps that corpsreps doesn't have. No slam on corpsreps, dbcna just goes back farther.

Hurricanes All girls (spon) AL James C. Ludwig Post 139 Baltimore, MD Junior corps

The listing doesn't have years when the corps existed so they don't know.

Edit: Just looked and see a Sacred Heart Boys and Sacred Heart Girls listed for MD but absolutely no info except the names.

Thanks for the info on that site. I emailed him to see if he wants to see the pictures. I have three pics of Sacred Heart performing. They must be from the 40s-50s. My mother-in-law was a little girl when the corps would perform. She was born in 1945. My husband's grandmother said that the corps would perform around the community. There were several other churches in the area that had corps as well. Don't know if Sacred Heart ever performed outside of Baltimore.

Sacred Heart DC Highlandtown (part of Baltimore), MD 40s or 50s. My husband's grandfather was the director. There is a sign on the building that says Glenn Martin Company. There is an aiport in Essex (just outside of Baltimore) that is named for Martin.

c41753df.jpg

scan0012.jpg

scan0013.jpg

Here are the final three. One picture has 1957 on the frame (Wildwood). Enjoy! Any help would be great!

scan0008.jpg

This one says "Hurricanes Baltimore MD - A.L. Nationals 1957" on the frame. It's obviously in Wildwood. Not sure if the photo is in original frame. Anyone know about this corps at all? It looks all girl.

scan0009.jpg

This is the same parade as the previous all-girl honor guard.

scan0010.jpg

The first photo is of the Skokie Indians Senior corps at the AL Nationals held in Atlantic City in 1957.

Can't help on the other two.

Ray

Thanks for the info on that site. I emailed him to see if he wants to see the pictures. I have three pics of Sacred Heart performing. They must be from the 40s-50s. My mother-in-law was a little girl when the corps would perform. She was born in 1945. My husband's grandmother said that the corps would perform around the community. There were several other churches in the area that had corps as well. Don't know if Sacred Heart ever performed outside of Baltimore.

OK, dbcna is always looking for updates for their site. I sent in a few a few years ago for PA corps and they were happy to get them.

Am I mistaken or didn't the Skokie Indians' unis get passed along to the Chicago (Des Plaines) Vanguard?