National Dream Contest Roosevelt Stadium

b**bs

Mario: That was great but you made one serious omission. St. Lucy's Cadets! b**bs

RAY....my sincere apologies! I worote the essay several years ago, and you are the irst to pick up on this.....how could I forget our Eye-talian bretheren from Newark? In fact, one of our drum majors, Hank, went from Loretto to St. Lucy's. I promise to change the original text immediately....Madonna mia! Perdonarlo prego

mario

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:) Thanks, Fred. Absolutely great thread. We can start a whole 'nother one just on the Dream or Roosevelt Stadium. And that picture of St Lucy's? Truly historical. I almost marched with that corp, but couldn't get a ride from anyone. (I was eleven or twelve at the time and played soprano). But as kids we would do whatever it took to get to the Dream. A junior and senior show for one admission. Rain or shine.

I think it was '79 when the field was all mud. The Bridgemen came out with no pants on. The Skyliners left off their cadet jackets, John Grass walked on the field with the drum line and played the 'New York, New York' tag. Then a soprano played it back from each section of the stands. The rest of the corps was scattered through the stands and jumped up, shouted and ran down to the field as each one played the tag back. The crowd went crazy.

And that's just one Roosevelt Stadium memory. :)

what we did was play the traffic jam it was great.

ricky lane

sky 1974-2004

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

One of the closest finishes in the history of the Dream at Roosevelt Stadium had to be the senior portion of the 1968 contest. Out of the five senior corps, the top four were only four tenths of a point apart. This was a weird one to say the least.

To start with, the Skyliners finished last. Now, whether or not they had a bad show that day, when have you ever seen the Skyliners take last place at a Dream? The Hurc's win, with a very strong Reading coming second. That shook a few nuns in the stands. Cabs take third, and the Sunrisers fourth. Now the outcome looks to be, well, unusual, but remember, only four tenths separate the top four corps. All I remember standing one that field that afternoon at retreat, is how the Hurricanes when announced the winner, just looked around and chuckled as if to say, what the hell just happened. After the shock wore off, and the beer kicked in, it was quite funny to say the least.

• 1 month later...
TJ was funny!

Can anyone else add pix to this thread? AND what did anyone think of the Roosevlt pix?

RIP, Fred. Although I did not know you personally, I always found your posts to be interesting and informative.

Your enthusiasm for the activity will be missed.

Fred's obit was posted on the 'other' group. Only 47; what a shame.

Ray

Ray.....what the heck did I miss???????? Did Fred pass????

Jimbalaya

RIP, Fred. Although I did not know you personally, I always found your posts to be interesting and informative.

Your enthusiasm for the activity will be missed.

Fred's obit was posted on the 'other' group. Only 47; what a shame.

Ray

awwwwwwww.......man, RIP Fred......thanks Ray......hey I have a bunch of pix from the '63 Dream including Sky, Cab's, Buc's, Reb's, Archie (a few of them, eh) and the retreat with a corps looking spiffy in blue sports coats, grey slacks, blue shirts with black and red rep stripes.........wonder whi that woulda been?????

Jimbalaya

'You know who' posted his obit on RAMD earlier this week. I just happened to see it.

Ray

Edited by Jimbalaya

Musketeers, Upper Darby, PA

PAUpperDarbyArcherEpplerMusketeersJ.jpg

That's Preston Scouthouse behind the Musketeers,and the Caballeros behind the fence.

Edited by old ohio drum corps