I've got issues... lol

Krista

Hey all! Thanks againg to all who have posted comments, suggestions, and those who messaged me on aim to inquire about how things were going! It's kinda nice to know that people whom you've never even met care enough to throw their two cents in and help me out! ^_^ ^_^

As for how the slurs are actually going...

I haven't practiced today. Yesterday, every time I turned around I was picking up my horn and playing for another hour. I think I wore myself and my audition peice out...b/c each time it got worse and worse! lol So, I've taken today off. BUT, I have played around w/all the ideas that have been posted, and thankfully that stupid evil C to E lip slur is getting better. Slowly, but surely. I tried using the alternate fingering... lol it obviously worked...but it was like cheating, and made me increadibly out of tune, and not only that, but it lulled me into a false sense of what the slur felt like. So, I resorted back to everything else. Anywho, that's the update...it's getting better...and it's gonna be even better by next weekend!

Thanks again to you all... I'll continue to keep you posted!

~Krista~

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The tounge and air are the keys to good lips slurs. OYur lips shouldnt change at all when doing slurs, or course your air supply should. When the partials get higher, so does your tounge and keep that stream of air going like a lazer beam through your lips. Always remember when playing anything difficult, stay relaxed! IT makes it just that much harder when your all tensed up and frustrated. Hope those get better for you.

The tounge and air are the keys to good lips slurs. OYur lips shouldnt change at all when doing slurs, or course your air supply should. When the partials get higher, so does your tounge and keep that stream of air going like a lazer beam through your lips. Always remember when playing anything difficult, stay relaxed! IT makes it just that much harder when your all tensed up and frustrated. Hope those get better for you.

What he said.

After almost 9 years playing trumpet...I'm still having issues w/ a c-e (on the staff) slur. It's always given me trouble! Only now, I've got to perfect it...and I have about 2 weeks to do it! Anybody have any suggestions or ideas for making that c-e slur any eaiser? :(

Taa-Eee baby!

practice!

you love it! lol

play it so much its impossible to get wrong.

:P

Not sure if you know the power of that post! Just thought I'd let you know...

And an update for you all... after a day & a half of not rehearsing at all, things are back to normal again. I think I keep getting more and more nervous, which is making me stress about my audition peice...but about 30 mins ago, I was sitting on my bed playing it... and I just thought, *$%& it, I know this peice like the back of my hand and my nerves will NOT stand in my way of playing the #### out of it! So, w/that new outlook my audition peice is sounding MUCH better! Oh yeah, still beating the technique/slur exercises to death! haha Eaiser every day... :)

Once more, thanks again... B)

Auditions: 5 days! (not that I've been counting for months or anything! lol)

I don't think more air is necessarily the solution. Faster air might be more appropriate. The difference being that higher partials require a smaller, faster column of air than lower partials. More air will just make you louder. You should try to keep your exhalation as constant as possible.

A few suggestions for faster air:

-Experiment with vowel sounds. For the C, think "ah" and for the E, think "eee".

-Another thing to think about is the position of the tongue. For higher notes, try raising the

back of the tongue. Imagine the tongue in the shape of a slide. As you play higher, the

slide gets steeper.

-Also, buzz the two notes on your mouthpiece or with just your lips. Then plug it back into

the instrument.

I hope these help.

I agree . One mor tip keep the mouth piece firm on the lips slight equal pressure on top and bottom to keep a good seal . Also find your pivot ( Pivot meaning where does your mouthe piece go on higher nots and lower notes ) example : With me on notes lower then low G ( in the staff ) i tend to move down and to the right on higher notes G ( top of the staff and up) i tend to move up and to the left . find you pivot and see where it moves it could be on the pitches you are having trouble with . If so try to minimize the pivot not letting the movement create problems with the pitch . hense alot of work cause my pivot hits at G top of the staff id doesn't cause as many problems as most people . Hope this helps if you have any question you can email me

Hey all... just wanted to add a few final thoughts before this weekend!! *YAY* 1st of all, I probably got the best advice from someone who decided to be increadibly nice, get my aim name off here, and message me just to tell me good luck this weekend! He, who shall remain nameless, told me to think of the higher notes being slured(up that is) to as "horizontal" as opposed to "vertical." In other words... think further in front of you, as opposed to higher. While when he 1st told me this I thought he might be nuts, I listened and did it, after all, he did march with the scouts! hehe BUT, this totally was the BEST advice for me. I think mentally, it broke the issue. If someone mentioned that in any previous post, I apologize, I've had so many ideas thrown at me... lol But this did seem to work the best for me, and parhaps might for others as well, which is why I posted it! Anyway, slur issue is a TON better! Thanks to you all!! :) :angry:

And on that note, I'm out...and off to practice some more! Thanks again to all of you for going well above and beyond being increadibly nice & helpful!!!

BTW, good luck & may God bless everyone auditioning this weekend!!! B)