DCI Today and Div II/III

MCA

i definitely agree w/ you.

in Fever we have a rule that we make the place look better when we leave than when we got there, and i always try to uphold that rule.

personally, i'm much more impressed by most Div. 2/3 corps than most Div. 1 corps anyways

Hey we always had that rule at bluecoats as well, and it is one reason why the corps tended to stay in the same schools when they revisited a city in other years because the organization was looked on with favorable regard.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think in general drum corps are awesome about that . . . but there are a couple corps that I can think of in particular (a couple div.2's and a few div 1's) that were really disrespectful at their housing sites and w/borrowed or rented equipment.

It is absolutely important for us to maintain a certain reputation with our hosts, but I don't think it's really an appropriate point in a Division-oriented discussion.

and i thought it was a very valid example

I agree as well.

At Memphis Sound, we also implore the same motto - leave the housing site looking better than it did when we got there. If that is at a camp, no one is dismissed until that goal is met. If it is on tour, we will be late to the show before we leave a housing site dirty - I can attest to that as there have definitely been a few close calls during the beginning of tour, while everyone is still learning the ways of the road. B)

• 2 weeks later...

I definetly remember our orlando site that Robin aka bluestarsmello is talking about.... that field was horrid and i had to do a hold in the show on top of one of the hills... i was sooo glad we got to use the schools field from then on. I remember a phone or some alarm going off a lot in the night and it was really weird sharing the bathrooms and showers with the guys cause we had scheduled hours for when we could be in there.

this past summer with cap sound we were in iowa (don't say anything bad about iowa i am from there and i know for a fact there are a lot better places in iowa.... my school housed Blue Knights in 2004 and they said they loved it there) The school was and elementry school.... THAT WAS CLOSED!!!!! and the contact person..... didn't exsist, there was a last name on the given and turns out it wasn't the right number and the name was of a person no one could find. so we could even get in it till mid morning. our rehearsal was on a play ground and instead of the scafolling our staff stood up on the jungle gym

• 5 weeks later...
No, the Div II/III champions have never done an exibition performance at finals. Both only participate in the mass playing of America/O Canada at retreat. Another good question I would like to know the answer to is why the Div II/III champions arent allowed to do an exibition.

On the contrary, the DivII/III champions have been performing in exhibition for a very long time - that is until two years ago. Watching the Div II/III champs, the occasional international corps perform, as well as the Marines was one of the highlights of the week - and a great way to kick of Finals. Now, it's just the mariens and lots of video.

On the contrary, the DivII/III champions have been performing in exhibition for a very long time - that is until two years ago. Watching the Div II/III champs, the occasional international corps perform, as well as the Marines was one of the highlights of the week - and a great way to kick of Finals. Now, it's just the mariens and lots of video.

I think 02 Magic made some Div 1 Directors mad.

:shrug:

I believe during finals week in Orlando in 2003, I saw a schedule on one of those update flyers that DCI prints during the week that had the schedule for Div 1 finals on it. I do believe that there was a time listed that said first exhibition corps steps off. I'm pretty sure that this was supposed to take place at the beginning of the show. The weather that day (and all week) was pretty rainy, so I assume that there wasn't enough time for exhibitions by Blue Stars and Esperanza so all they did was participate in the finale. After that year I don't remember seeing anything about a time for an exhibition corps to perform at Div 1 finals.

I just now noticed today's Forzato on DCI.org ( http://dci.org/news/news.cfm?news_id=5b144...bf-b02832dc9cb9 ) and it reminded me of this thread. It might not be a huge story or press release, but has anyone else noticed that it seems like more Div. II/III corps are getting their Forzato submissions posted? Memphis Sound has had 5 get chosen since returning in August and it seems that there have been even more Div. II/III related photos/features than last year. Just though I'd throw that out there - any publicity is good publicity I suppose.