loudest show?

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just can't continue reading this topic without clearing up something first about magic of orlando

THEY SHOULD NEVER HAVE BEEN IN DIVISION 2!!!!!!!

First a little history lesson. In the few years before 2001 Magic Of Orlando was running out of money and in 2001 they did not field a corps. AT ALL. NO CORPS. NONE. At that time DCI had a rule stating that if a Division 1 corps folded, they had to compete in division 2 for a season to show that they were capable of competing at a high level. Also, they had to take a tour that was at least 10,000 miles(i believe that number is correct) because all division 1 corps are required to travel a minimum length tour. Also, they had to take (i think) top 5 in division 2 in order to be considered for division 1. Magic of Orlando has been a division 1 corps since before 2002 and since they didn't field a corps in 2001 they were forced to march in division 2 in 2002. They fielded a full 135 members with alternates and traveled a full length division 1 tour plus pretour/move-in. By the time finals rolled around they were almost 10 points past the rest of division 2 and they should never have been in that division. The rule was stupid and needs revision immediately so this doesn't happen again. I've marched division 1 and division 2 and to this day i feel that the 2002 season was unfair to all of division 2. In fact, i believe to this day that dci is incredibly unfair to division 2 and the 2002 season is proof. You CANNOT honestly claim that their show was the loudest in division 2 without adding the disclaimer stating that they should NOT have been in division 2. This is how division 2 placed in 2002

1) Magic of Orlando - 99.050 --------> Record Highest Score In Division 2 To Date, Then went BACK to division 1 in 2003

2) Capital Regiment - 96.500 ---------> Went division 1 in 2003

3) Mandarins - 95.800 -----------------> Went division 1 in 2003

4) SCVC - 94.350

5) Spartans - 93.900 -----------> Took 3rd in '03, Won in '04 and sorta took 1st and sorta took 2nd in '05, who knows, thanks dci for that one

6) Esperanza - 92.200 ---------> won in '03 and went division 1 in '04 to not even make finals, that was a bad idea

7) Patriots - 89.250 -------------> took 2nd in '03 and folded in '04, really great people

8) East Coast Jazz - 88.000 -------->took 4th in '03 and 2nd in '04, sorta took 1st and sorta 2nd in '05, thanks dci for screwing that up for div 2

9) Jersey Surf - 87.750

So as you can see, 2002 had some interesting points of interest . . . . .

Magic shouldnt have been div 2

cap reg and mandarins went div 1 to not even make finals, those were bad ideas

esperanza went div 1 2 years after, another bad idea, not even making finals

the patriots future looked promising, only to fold 2 years later

2 years after 2002 DCI manages to somehow crown 2 different champions, this is one of many many instances of DCI being a bunch of tools

so i can't say the loudest div 2 hornline was magic, because i didnt consider them div 2, especially since they took 11th in div 1 the same year

As far as my opinion on the loudest div 2/3 show, id hafta go with spartans '03, the end of the ballad was the loudest thing ive heard in a while. plus the bassline run only topped off the emotions going into the hit. 2003 was a good year, 2002 sucks

Guess what? In '02 they were in Div II whether you agree with it or not.

2 years after 2002 DCI manages to somehow crown 2 different champions, this is one of many many instances of DCI being a bunch of tools

There isn't anything wrong with E, Cap Reg, and Mandarins going div I. I don't really think that was a bad idea.

I just can't continue reading this topic without clearing up something first about magic of orlando

First a little history lesson. In the few years before 2001 Magic Of Orlando was running out of money and in 2001 they did not field a corps. AT ALL. NO CORPS. NONE. At that time DCI had a rule stating that if a Division 1 corps folded, they had to compete in division 2 for a season to show that they were capable of competing at a high level. Also, they had to take a tour that was at least 10,000 miles(i believe that number is correct) because all division 1 corps are required to travel a minimum length tour. Also, they had to take (i think) top 5 in division 2 in order to be considered for division 1. Magic of Orlando has been a division 1 corps since before 2002 and since they didn't field a corps in 2001 they were forced to march in division 2 in 2002. They fielded a full 135 members with alternates and traveled a full length division 1 tour plus pretour/move-in. By the time finals rolled around they were almost 10 points past the rest of division 2 and they should never have been in that division. The rule was stupid and needs revision immediately so this doesn't happen again. I've marched division 1 and division 2 and to this day i feel that the 2002 season was unfair to all of division 2. In fact, i believe to this day that dci is incredibly unfair to division 2 and the 2002 season is proof. You CANNOT honestly claim that their show was the loudest in division 2 without adding the disclaimer stating that they should NOT have been in division 2. This is how division 2 placed in 2002

1) Magic of Orlando - 99.050 --------> Record Highest Score In Division 2 To Date, Then went BACK to division 1 in 2003

2) Capital Regiment - 96.500 ---------> Went division 1 in 2003

3) Mandarins - 95.800 -----------------> Went division 1 in 2003

4) SCVC - 94.350

5) Spartans - 93.900 -----------> Took 3rd in '03, Won in '04 and sorta took 1st and sorta took 2nd in '05, who knows, thanks dci for that one

6) Esperanza - 92.200 ---------> won in '03 and went division 1 in '04 to not even make finals, that was a bad idea

7) Patriots - 89.250 -------------> took 2nd in '03 and folded in '04, really great people

8) East Coast Jazz - 88.000 -------->took 4th in '03 and 2nd in '04, sorta took 1st and sorta 2nd in '05, thanks dci for screwing that up for div 2

9) Jersey Surf - 87.750

so i can't say the loudest div 2 hornline was magic, because i didnt consider them div 2, especially since they took 11th in div 1 the same year

As far as my opinion on the loudest div 2/3 show, id hafta go with spartans '03, the end of the ballad was the loudest thing ive heard in a while. plus the bassline run only topped off the emotions going into the hit. 2003 was a good year, 2002 sucks

Kool-Aid

Yeah 04 was loud, but very forced even for 30 horns IMO. 05 they marched 55 and they were LOUD with a very good sound.

FYI and to clear up our numbers from last year, we marched 56

18 10 10 18

we had a trumpet hole for three weeks due to a member leaving and the spot filling...

and thanks for all the compliments!