A Death In Our Family

On August 1st, someone special to the Tri-Color family passed away. As we were trooping the stands at the Mystré home show, one of our trumpet players (Yukito Hucidiko) reacted to gun shots she heard outside of the stadium. No there was no horse race near by, or no race car events going on, these shots she heard were from outsiders in the area causing chaos. She passed out after hearing the gun shots, and it must have been a shock to her, because we had not been around any of that all season. We thought it was just something that would go over soon, but when we realized she passed out, was not breathing, and that her heart had stopped... We (the staff) looked at each other as we were running to the field, and knew she was gone... Some tried CPR, others screamed for help, but the members of the corps were already out of the zone, and well on their way to circle up. They still didn't know she had passed out (as she was the last person in the line). As she fell to the ground, she first tried to save her trumpet, and then her wireless microphone. It was almost as if she knew she wasn't coming back. The members huddled up around the brass caption head, and discussed how they did in that performance (not knowing the scores). I hauled behind over to them, and I was in tears! This was the first time this season that I was in tears! They knew something wasn't right, because I normally was excited after a performance like they gave. When I told them the news, it seemed as if we were standing on the Mississippi River--water would not stop! From that moment, we decided that we would do even more together, more than just walking back to our buses, more than laughing, etc... We decided we would become closer, we decided we would get inside of each other on another level. The members decided to put their horns in a block, and then hold hands in their ranks and files, making sure no one was coming through that block.

Yukito came from an environment in South Central L.A. where this type of behavior was typically expected. She lived a life a fear each day, not knowing if she would survive another day, where she would get her next meal, or if she was just living in a dream. It was her dream to march in a top 12 Division I corps from the moment she made love for the first time with DCI. She was with us just a few years ago when we finished 5th in DCP-I, and she has been on every ride with this corps sense.

Drum Corps was her escape away from the "real world" and she would always cuddle up with her stuffed bear that she got made her rookie year at one of those Bear Factory places in the mall. She named her Bear "Tri-Tone" which was supposed to be "Tri-Colors" mascot. As I write this, I am still drained, and can't figure out why!?

Our rapper was not involved in this incident. The shootings that took place, was over some prostitution going on in the city. We can not blame anyone, because this was a matter of shock, and no pain was inflicted on her. I wish I would have known she would go like this, I would have had her stay at our housing site, which was in another city--away from this drama.

Instead of 68 brass, we are now at 67, and we will not be closing her hole. Each member of the hornline will now fold over the white flap on their jacket, and the front of the jacket for the remainder of this season will remain black, with the right side dark green. We will also be putting the citation chords back on the left shoulder (first season uniform accessory).

Emerald Regime found out about this, and they will be playing their corps song "Sleep" by Eric Whitacre at DCP-I Along the Rockies. May she sleep in peace... In conclusion we will be playing our corps song "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" arranged by yours truly. Both pieces reflect Yukito very well, and we know she will be proud of the corps as they embark on their journey home. It is sad that she won't be able to experience DCP-I Champs in the birthplace of her own corps. She will be there with us in spirits.

Tri-Color has a special ending that they are going to put into the show...something that we used in our first year of competition when Yukito was a soloist for the closing movement of the show. Infact, it fits well with our concept this year, and we are sad we had to figure it out at this point and by this event.

We are not sure if we will be returning to Las Vegas again, even when these members age out (and the ones that still have time left), it may just be a rememberance if we go back, and it will be too emotionasl

Please keep Tri-Color in your thoughts and prayers.

Godspeed!

Tri-Color

S.I.P.

Sleep in Peace

Yukito Hucidiko

November 13th, 1983 - August 1, 2005

Emerald Regime found out about this, and they will be playing their corps song "Sleep" by Eric Whitacre at DCP-I Along the Rockies. May she sleep in peace... In conclusion we will be playing our corps song "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" arranged by yours truly. Both pieces reflect Yukito very well, and we know she will be proud of the corps as they embark on their journey home. It is sad that she won't be able to experience DCP-I Champs in the birthplace of her own corps. She will be there with us in spirits.

Are you doing this a part of your show that night?

Star would like to be on the field as a show of respect to your fallen member.

Are you doing this a part of your show that night?

Star would like to be on the field as a show of respect to your fallen member.

As each corps is released from the field, they will play their respective piece. It would be great to have Star on the field with us.