• Other year - see my comment below

was that '96 or '96 that you voted for?  I wasn't quite sure!eh.gif

69 I think. %-)

J

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1989, then, in order, 1996, 1979, 1993, 1977, etc.  No question that 1996 is riveting and amazing, but 1989 has always been in my mind the standard of a perfect hornline.  Not just technique, but for feeling and emotion, they were walking on water.  Not that '96 didn't have its emotional moments, but I've always seen that show as a bleak portrait...a lot of it had to be painted in a very stoic manner--so a lot of the emotion came from audience response.  

'89 by a slim margin, IMHO.

1989, then, in order, 1996, 1979, 1993, 1977, etc.  No question that 1996 is riveting and amazing, but 1989 has always been in my mind the standard of a perfect hornline.  Not just technique, but for feeling and emotion, they were walking on water.  Not that '96 didn't have its emotional moments, but I've always seen that show as a bleak portrait...a lot of it had to be painted in a very stoic manner--so a lot of the emotion came from audience response.  

'89 by a slim margin, IMHO.

Well said. '89 was a very close 2nd to '96.   '89 was definitely the most emotional and exciting.  '96 was emotional in it's own right but cleaner.

I'll never forget when I went to the pre-show clinic at Lake Highlands in Dallas in '89.   When I got out of the car in the parking lot and heard the first sounds of the PR hornline I thought, "wow, that's good"!

Nothing more chilling than the sounds of a hornline in the distance.

'93 could have been better if one person had been watching for the release in the opener.

Yep, it was especially prevalent at '93 Quarterfinals.  I think it was a middle horn that hung over... so bad that half the audience when "ewwwww"!

If that happened to me I would be sooo depressed... Man that hurts just thinking about it. Feels like I have a knife in my heart... must... gooo.... now.....

Hey all,

Just a couple brief memories of Phantom's brass line. . . I can't pick just one, but 1989, 1993, 1994, 1996, 1981, and 1982 stand out in my memory for these reasons. . .

Having grown up in the Midwest and having seen many, many performances by Phantom over the past 22 years, there are certain things that stand out in my mind.

In 1981 there was an early season show in Green Bay, Wisconsin at the Packers stadium.  It was the Top 9 from DCM Finals the year before. . . so it was:

1 Madison Scouts

2 Phantom Regiment

3 Cavaliers

4 Blue Stars

5 Geneseo Knights

6 St. Croix Rivermen

7 Guardsmen

8 Colts

9 Pioneer

Seeing Phantom perform "Spartacus" for the first time that year was simply awesome.  You could tell right there that this was going to be a hornline to be reckoned with later in the season.  

1982:  The "playoff" at DCM Finals in DeKalb, Illinois.  Most of you know the story. . . Phantom and Madison tied for 1st place at DCM Finals that night. . . and had a tiebreaker performance that is now legendary.  Well, it was getting late, and a lot of people couldn't stay.  I was still marching with the Colts, and as soon as we got off the field and out of uniform, we went RUNNING back into the stadium to catch this performance.  My friends and I got into about the 3rd row on the 40 yard line in what is simply the best stadium for Drum Corps in the Midwest.  The opening fanfare blew our hair back and was simply frightening in its ferocity.  When they finished the show we realized we had been holding our breath for the last 30 seconds of the show -- let it out, and just started screaming.  

1989:  I was in Milwaukee, Wisconsin at a mid-June show.  Caught PR from the front track.  Full frontal assault by the cleanest and most powerful baritone section I've ever heard.  My buddies and I all sat in awe, and declared we has just seen the best brass line of the year that night.

1993:  We were in DeKalb, Illinois for the DCM Prelims.  Feeling pretty good about our early season run at the Colts, we were lined up at the gate ready to do our Prelim performance.  Phantom was on the field.  Up to that point, the season had been "okay" for them, but they were not hitting on all cylinders every night.  We caught the last few minutes of the show.  We were skaken to the bone.  PR stormed the stadium that day in a performance that simply dazzled, amazed, and blew people away.  They had not just turned it up a notch -- they were at late season performance level.  Truly glorious!

1994:  Preview of Champions Finals:  Madison, Wisconsin.  In what has become another legendary performance, it rained.  Boy did it rain.  And Phantom came to play -- possibly the best brass performance of the year for them that night.  The Debussy silenced the stadium in tear-jerking fashion, and the crowd went crazy at the end.  Blend of brass sounds was wondrous, and the contra sound proclaimed "watch out -- we're still here".

1996:  The Carolina Crown home show in Charlotte, NC in August -- last regular season show.  We didn't see Phantom much that summer.  I remember seeing them in Streator, Illinois early that year and thinking. . . they are in big trouble with that opening.  What I saw from the top of the stadium in Charlotte took my breath away.  The simplicity, the power and projection of the soprano line, the pride. . . it was all there. . . and we all knew something special had just happened that night -- and they were a serious contender to walk into Orlando.

2000:  East Rutherford, NJ -- last regular season show.  I was now with the Crossmen, and we had been relatively even with Phantom during portions of the year.  I had just come back out on tour after a 2 week layoff and my ears were fresh again.  I was enjoying the resurgence of the Crossmen brass program and hopeful that we might be catching Phantom soon.  Well, Phantom took the field and within the first 15 seconds of the show I knew it was over.  The sound quality, projection, and intensity of the program made me just shake my head and say "maybe next year, Crossmen".  As a Phantom fan, I can truly say I was happy to hear the brass program begin its return to prominence!

Chuck Naffier

Phantom Phan