Best Phanom Reigiment Hornline

WoofInTheWoods

99 members have voted

1. 1. Best Phanom Reigiment Hornline

• Other year - see my comment below

Chuck, thanks for your comments on Phantom, espicially those on 96. I remember that show, we were so hyped after that show because we had pulled within .7 of Devs and almost 1.5 Cavies...we had a great show that night, Ill never forget it, but thanks for your comments....I must say I have enjoyed your arrangements over the years as well and wish you the best of luck. Thanks again for the kind words.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Man, I am listening to 2000. This hornline was incredible. They were no doubt the best G hornline in DCI that year. Easily top 3. That chord in the ballad is one of the best brass sounds I have ever heard in DCI. Compares to Star 90's first note. Great sound on the mello solo too. PR 2000 was awesome.

• 2 weeks later...
1989, then, in order, 1996, 1979, 1993, 1977, etc.  No question that 1996 is riveting and amazing, but 1989 has always been in my mind the standard of a perfect hornline.  Not just technique, but for feeling and emotion, they were walking on water.  Not that '96 didn't have its emotional moments, but I've always seen that show as a bleak portrait...a lot of it had to be painted in a very stoic manner--so a lot of the emotion came from audience response.  

'89 by a slim margin, IMHO.

1996 wasn't that original, or difficult. I easily placed 1989 above it.

1996 wasn't that original, or difficult. I easily placed 1989 above it.

Wasnt that original? I challenge you to get the original orchestral recordings and compare them to the arrangements we played and if its pretty d### close to the original scores of those pieces. In 89 Wren jazzed up the Largo section of New World dude, not saying I didnt love that show but 96 was pretty much note for note to those scores. If it wasnt so original or difficult then why did we win brass, not one but TWO nights in a row?

1989 all the way.  Although, not the perfect hornline.  One wuold have to go with Star for that. '93 Star is, IMHO, the best hornline ever.

I feel 90 Star of Indiana was better than 91.

Blue Devils 91 line was simply amazing !!

~G~

I like 1990 Star's show better...but 1991's hornline was ridiculous good...although in 1993 they were absolutely amazing. In my opinion, they definied what playing at piano means.

1989 Phantom Regiment was amazing. There were chords in that show where you couldn't tell where the sopranos ended and the contras began...it was just glorious sound. Very well balanced. 1993 was okay, but not as well balanced, in my opinion. 1996 was just plain awesome. Very clean, very precise...but that hang over at the end...why God, why!?!

I still find it amazing how people don't generally talk about the PR 2000 program and hornline. Good stuff. Very underrated.

I still find it amazing how people don't generally talk about the PR 2000 program and hornline.  Good stuff.  Very underrated.

The 2000 hornline sounded really good, especially in the ballad, but they never reached volume levels that really blew me away, which might be why they don't get some of the recognition they otherwise deserve. The balance and blend throughout the show was superb.

After quarterfinals and semifinals in 2001, I was wondering if that hornline was ever going to unleash its full sound, but luckily their finals show was great, and loud. :)

Michael Oldemeyer