SCV birthday dinner

I like the concept of the show title, opener really fits that well. Their second piece swings, a real change of pace from the past few years. Battery sounded pretty good too. Cadet corps has some good challenging Phillip Glass pieces to work at. Cadet corps battery played the opener with their hornline and sounded very complimentary to the piece.

And the spaghetti was good too..........

Yes, SCV's Birthday Dinner performances went very, very well. Many DCI VIP's attended the event this year as well. The A-Corps hornline played excerpts of Movement 1 and Movement 2, as well as Send in the Clowns. The A-Corps battery and pit played Movement 1 (I believe), and the Vangaurd Cadets played their first 2 pieces, along with their battery also playing an additional warm-up for us. The combined hornlines played If You Believe, and we also watched a video of the Santa Clara Vanguard winterguard from the current season (they were fantastic and I KNOW Gail Royer was smiling down - their show has a gypsy/fiddle theme).

Since we arrived in Santa Clara on Saturday, we had two opportunities to watch them perform their opener drill. Let's just say it's different (in a VERY, VERY GOOD way!!!) from what they've been doing in the past. They were sweating like pigs after their opener, and it couldn't have been more than 50 degrees outside!!! They're planning on taking full advantage of the fact that they started learning drill back in February.

I also spoke with Jeff Pearson for some time and he said that the staff this year really clicks well, and that longevity is the goal with the current staff members. So all in all, the Vanguard organization seems to be firing on all cylinders again this year!

Pee Wee out... :blink:

Edited by PeeWee

Glad to hear this!! :)

awesome..... and there is nuthin like the famous G.R. spaghetti sauce and washing it down with an always wonderful clowns.

• 2 weeks later...

Finnally got around to trimming and posting some audio clips (.wav) from the Birthday Dinner weekend. They're in the Media ssection on here:

<link removed as per request - RK>

Cool stuff! Enjoy!