"C Trumpets"?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd try a set of 4-6 Eb trumpets on lead over C trumpets.

Or Bb Piccs - that might be interesting.

Completely off the topic of C trumpets (although I am intrigued about cornets), I seem to remember seeing some pictures from about 1978/79 in the DCI year book of the Madison Scouts, and at least a couple of people were playing something that I can only describe as a "trombone bugle." It looked like a 2-valve trombone, except for no slide (even a valve t-bone has a non-moving slide). Did the marching trombone take the place of this instrument, or were the '70s the "wild west days of drumcorps," where there would have been a "kitchen sink bugle" if Olds or Getzen could have made it? just curious.

Okay, to clarify for those who don't know, a "marching trombone" is, basically, an instrument wrapped like a baritone, with valves, that has the same bore profile as a trombone, as well as a smaller bell.

To clarify visually:

900002814.jpg

Olds Bb Marching Trombone

900002815.jpg

Olds Bb Marching Baritone

Now, to anwer your question, what you saw was probably either one of the newly legalized upright-valved marching baritones, or a 2-valve G marching trombone.