"C Trumpets"?

I'm really not a horn person at all, so please don't laugh too hard at this question, k... Can there be a "split line" of say, g and b flat or other keys together to get a larger playing range on the field? (This comes from my impression that each key has it's own range of notes-which may be wrong too, I don't even know what I'm talking about :P )

Yeah. You can do just about anything you want. You can mix the line if you want. At least in DCI you can. Now, I'm not clear on how the DCA rule works. I thought I heard somewhere (although it could just be my old age making me crazy) that DCAs rule only allows for Bbs and Gs? Is that right? Or do they allow for "any key" as well? I honestly don't know. This is my first year of involvement with a DCA corps and I haven't read the rule book yet.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is no real difference and timbre between a Bb and C trumpet,

Ummm????? Wrong! Very wrong! Don't you dare even bring "opinion" into it either. This is NOT a matter of opinion. C trumpets have a VERY different timbre and character to them. Bringing me to one reason (to answer spiniki further) that I really would NOT consider them for MCL. MCL does jazz (at least at the moment). The timbre and character of C trumpets do not fit jazz music. Although, there HAVE been experiments with them in jazz music. None that I have personally cared for.

Edited by torn8o

This is going to get good.

Fight in the yard. :)

Ummm????? Wrong! Very wrong! Don't you dare even bring "opinion" into it either. This is NOT a matter of opinion. C trumpets have a VERY different timbre and character to them. Bringing me to one reason (to answer spiniki further) that I really would NOT consider them for MCL. MCL does jazz (at least at the moment). The timbre and character of C trumpets do not fit jazz music. Although, there HAVE been experiments with them in jazz music. None that I have personally cared for.

Gotcha. Though I wasn't thinking in that context though, I don't really play jazz. Nor do I really know much about what is needed for "true" jazz sound. I was just thinking in the orchestral/symphonic realm.

Edited by Einstein On The Beach

Gotcha. Though I wasn't thinking in that context though, I don't really play jazz.

Familiar with the international trumpet guild? Some great articles on the subject of differing timbres of the various keyed trumpets (including how Bbs and Cs differ) from some of the leading orchestral trumpet players around the world. Might check it out.

http://www.trumpetguild.org/

You may have to dig through some archives.

OK, back to the topic now....my question?????? Already had one answer (thank you BorisTS). Any others?

Edited by torn8o

Gotcha. Though I wasn't thinking in that context though, I don't really play jazz. Nor do I really know much about what is needed for "true" jazz sound. I was just thinking in the orchestral/symphonic realm.

If you listen to some Arturo, Diz, Woody Shaw, Freddie Hubbard, Miles, Maynard, and Louis then you'll get a better idea.

Familiar with the international trumpet guild? Some great articles on the subject of differing timbres of the various keyed trumpets (including how Bbs and Cs differ) from some of the leading orchestral trumpet players around the world. Might check it out.

Is timbre the only difference between C and Bb? Well, besides pitch of course... I don't really know 'cause I've not played much C at all, but does the C not blow alot more freely than a Bb? If so, is that why orchestral players choose to play C so they can sit back there and wail on those donuts?

As to the original question, I don't see how it's possible that any purist who is against Bb's would be against C's MORE. I mean, they're both equally NOT in the key of G, as far as I'm concerned. So, go ahead and use your C on the field. My question is, HOW would you use it?