Guardsmen (Schaumburg, IL) memories.

AWESOME!! Man that chart rocks!! Sweetness... ^OO^ :::diggin' out my G-men '79 DVD to see Geno cooking on the shaker!!:::

AWESOME!! Man that chart rocks!! Sweetness... ^OO^ :::diggin' out my G-men '79 DVD to see Geno cooking on the shaker!!:::

I gotta go do that, too!!!

'79 Rawks!!

This is my memory:

Meeting up with Guardsmen friend Bob Callahan after a show in 1980, he asked if he could see our new SCV busses...

I gave him a tour. Took him by our 'Miss Amana', asked him if he wanted anything... only a cup of milk.

Asked him once again, as I had done for the past two years, "Callahan, come out and march SCV. It will be your age out year."

He did, and brought another Guardsmen buddy, Mitch Hogopian...They both have SCV 1981 Green Feathers.

This is my memory:

Meeting up with Guardsmen friend Bob Callahan after a show in 1980, he asked if he could see our new SCV busses...

I gave him a tour. Took him by our 'Miss Amana', asked him if he wanted anything... only a cup of milk.

Asked him once again, as I had done for the past two years, "Callahan, come out and march SCV. It will be your age out year."

He did, and brought another Guardsmen buddy, Mitch Hogopian...They both have SCV 1981 Green Feathers.

yeah well while you were showing him the SCV busses... here's what our busses were doin':

mini1980color19.jpg

mini1979244.jpg

And here's Mitch (while still a Guardsmen):

mini1979108.jpg

(Thanks Tom Scheffler for the pictures!)

Rockin' on those shakers during "Tiger of San Pedro" ... 1979 Guardsmen.

I'm the snare drummer with the scary calf high tube socks on at the far right!

mini1979011.jpg

I remember touring with Guardsmen in 1978. We were back and forth with them and we were all thinking "WTF???"

Tiger of San Pedro - one of my favorite Latin charts ever.

Remember seeing the guard at WGI when they did the toy soldier show. (1979?) Cape Cod Coliseum. They were AWESOME!!!! (Insert Zingali scream here...)

Daring color guard on the field. I think our rifle line used to watch them rehearse and would try to learn a few tricks. (OMG - here comes LancerFi !!!! HIDE!!!!!)

I don't remember seeing them in 1976, but that's a great story!! I'll have to eventually get the DVD and give them a watch.

:doh:

• 3 weeks later...
At the last Guardsmen reunion in Madison, 1976 prelims was of course discussed. The corps actually tied for 10th place-then indeed had to come back 3 hours later to march Finals. That's something that will never happen again.

Back in 1976, DCI Prelims were held during the day with Finals that night. The order of appearance in Prelims was determined by when the DCI office received the paperwork for each corps signing up for Prelims. Over the winter, whichever corps got their application in first for the following year's event went on last. The Guardsmen ended up going on 3rd from last in the late afternoon. They put on the best show of their year and then waited around to hear the score. They knew they needed an 82.8 to come in 12th. When the score was announced as "83...." the place errupted and no one ever heard the rest of the score.

There were 2 goals that were set for the Guardsmen in 1976 - make DCI Finals and beat the Cavaliers. Never caught the Cavies but 1 out of 2 ain't bad.

After the show of the year in Prelims and the emotional high of making Finals, there was a very short window of time to turn around for the night show. So, the people in charge fed the corps, drove around looking for a practice field and then tried to do a couple of run throughs of the show before driving back to Franklin Field. It was a disaster. There is no wonder in my mind why the Finals score dropped almost 10 points - they left everything out on the field that afternoon.

But they had to beat some very good corps to just make it into Finals: 15th was Royal Crusaders who were finalists in '75 (9th place), 14th was the Garfield Cadets and 13th was the Troopers.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Though I marched in the early 1980's, I never saw the Guardsmen live. I have, however, fallen in love with their recordings from the mid-late 1970's and think their brass line was phenomenal...rich, confident, disciplined yet energized. It was wonderful playing.

A corps friend of mine from the time (1982, I think it was) had been in corps for years and I remember him lamenting over the Guardsmen's demise that season. There seemed to be some special importance in his feelings which, as it turned out, were almost prophetic as so many corps (many of which achieved greatness like the Guardsmen) would fold over the next few seasons. The early 1980's was hard on many corps.

Regardless, I love my Greensleeves and Tigers recordings and thank all the kids and staff who made those performances happen. Godbless.