Guardsmen (Schaumburg, IL) memories.

They did a KFC commercial:

guardsmen.jpg

I remember that commercial - how did they pick the corps they wanted?

The Guardsmen colorguard were truely great competitors. They were not always the cleanest on the floor, (or the field) but sure in the heck did not mind taking some risk when doing blind tosses. In 1981 the midwest ruled WGI with the our guard taking first, Phantom second, and the Guardsmen third. Regionals were great with us, Phantom and Guardsmen fighting it out for the top.

the guardsmen's colorguard were great!i remember all those fantastic shows from the early years,the guardhouse,that fabulous redhead sabre[wish i new her name],the ballet years,the staff:john hardy,jan uchida,adrian cinnamon.those were the seminal years and we owe alot to this guard for paving the way.does anyone else remember this guard?

That's my take on yelling out during a performance. Like the corps or not, don't do that. They are peforming, and deserve attention and respect.

I never approved of it either. I remember back in the day, people would yell out during quiet passages, so they could get their voice "on the record". The goal was to be heard on the recordings when they came out, and/or on the TV broadcasts. I know one fella (no names mentioned) who actually got his voice "on the record" He was so proud! He actually spent one summer plotting out his timing, so he knew EXACTLY when to yell, and what to say. <**> <**> <**>

Edited by rrheinlen

I'll be posting some old Guardsmen photos on old drum corps photos. Check 'em out.....

I never approved of it either. I remember back in the day, people would yell out during quiet passages, so they could get their voice "on the record". The goal was to be heard on the recordings when they came out, and/or on the TV broadcasts. I know one fella (no names mentioned) who actually got his voice "on the record" He was so proud! He actually spent one summer plotting out his timing, so he knew EXACTLY when to yell, and what to say. <**> <**> <**>

I SO disagree with this. When I was on the field marching as a teenager, I got the biggest thrill out of people cheering AT ANY POINT in the show. On the flip side, I hated it when all we got was "applause". Drum corps is an outdoor activity and in it's nature demands an outdoor audience. I not only disagree with the above philosphy but HATE IT and whish people would get it out of their head that they are at an opera when attending a drum corps show. For crying out loud, they sell hot dogs!

That's my take on yelling out during a performance. Like the corps or not, don't do that. They are peforming, and deserve attention and respect.

See, I see it the exact opposite. To me...when I was performing in drum corps, if all they are doing is "clapping", I felt like we were NOT getting attention and respect. I wanted the crowd to roar...ALWAYS! Again, nothing personal but I HATE the above philosphy. My gosh, check out the recordings of 95 Madison and tell me if that crowd was not giving Madison "attantion and respect".

And, as for shouting "during soft passages" - when I was actually ON the field...I was generally too focused to hear any of that very clearly. BUT...when I would get my recordings and hear someone yell MY NAME...it was the greatest feeling in the world.

So again, I totally disagree and HOPE...gosh I hope...the drum corps arena never becomes a concert hall atmosphere. It would ruin everything if it did.

OK...that's cool torn8o...but don't confuse the point. My point, and I think Roma's, too, was that it is disrespectful to shout out something derogatory or rude while

the corps is out there performing. Like when Dan mentioned someone yelling out "Boring!" to the Guardsmen's "Greensleeves" and everyone laughing in the section.

Look, I'm not a saint, either, but the point is that would have been a slap in the face to those kids performing it. And as for not hearing it because you're so zoned in, well, OK,

but I bet some did hear it. Also, I was kind of teasing Dan, because I am now marching with him... so I was tossing it back at him a little.

I'm all for shout outs as the show goes on... that's great!! You can clearly hear my name shouted out before the '79 Guardsmen DCI performance and during the '82

Madison performance, and that was great!! But for someone to yell out "Chicken S*@ks!" before Guardsmen's '76 show was maybe funny, but also rude. That's all I'm

saying. You know, like if someone shouted out before BD's show "You s*@k and you are boring!" and it makes it onto the recordings for that year or at some show

somewhere as a quiet passage is played that the vast majority of the audience would like to hear.

There is a clear difference between shouts of approval and joy, as opposed to yelling to "make it onto the recordings," or saying hurtful things because you personally don't

care for the corps or their performance/show/music. That's the shouting I'm talking (pontificating) about. :ramd:

You're certainly entitled to your personal opinion, though, so I respect your point of view. We just feel slightly different about two aspects of shout outs...

and now back to your regularly scheduled thread...

OK...that's cool torn8o...but don't confuse the point. My point, and I think Roma's, too, was that it is disrespectful to shout out something derogatory or rude while

the corps is out there performing. Like when Dan mentioned someone yelling out "Boring!" to the Guardsmen's "Greensleeves" and everyone laughing in the section.

Look, I'm not a saint, either, but the point is that would have been a slap in the face to those kids performing it.

Now, I'm in TOTAL agreement there. In fact, I even made a comment about that "boring" yelp on a post of my own a page or two over.

The bottom line for me is...

POSITIVE SHOUTING - ^OO^

NEGATIVE SHOUTING - <**>

We just feel slightly different about two aspects of shout outs...

Apparently, we don't. Again, if you bounce back a page or two on this thread - you will read VERY clearly what I thought of the stupidity of the guy who yelled "boring".

Edited by torn8o

Now, I'm in TOTAL agreement there. In fact, I even made a comment about that "boring" yelp on a post of my own a page or two over.

The bottom line for me is...

POSITIVE SHOUTING - ^OO^

NEGATIVE SHOUTING - <**>

Apparently, we don't. Again, if you bounce back a page or two on this thread - you will read VERY clearly what I thought of the stupidity of the guy who yelled "boring".

What Ggarrett said, he said for me too, torn8o. I didn't explain myself very well. What I have a problem with are "fans" who are only screaming for their own notoriety. I have screamed myself hoarse at every single show I have ever been to. I even get so caught up sometimes, I find myself giving the only standing ovation in the crowd.