America The Beautiful

I left the junior drum corps scene in 1980, and have slowly been participating a greater and greater level each year for the last few years with the creation of GNODCA in New Orleans. I am beginning to have thoughts of us someday soon building beyond our current parade unit and participating in DCA shows in the South. Participation in our Mardi Gras parade this year by drum corps from near and far, as Gulf Coast Sounds opens to everyone each year has got me thinking. MAybe this idea has been though of, or is already being done. I have yet to see one DCA performance in my life, so pardon my lack of knowledge discussing the following matter.

I saw a short video clip at some point in the past couple of years of all DCI finalists playing a version of "America The Beautiful". Do any DCA corps play a common version as well? If so, is it the same version tha the DCI corps play?

I think that would be really cool, if it is not already being done, to have one common version of the song for all DCI and DCA corps, maybe the same version I heard all those DCI corps play to allow a combination of any/all DCA corps to play that song together, as well as any/all DCI and DCA corps to play it together.

Donny Allen wrote a great arrangement of "God Bless America" and I remember at one show a corps decided to take their own tempo and the whole thing was a mess. It was a great idea as well as a great arrangement but I am not sure if all the corps were doing it back then.

Any other thoughts?

Mass hornlines are great - IF everyone practices.

Given the incredibly limited rehearsal time the DCA corps have, taking time out to learn another piece of music is tough to do during the summer. That's why I am not in favor of it for DCA - if it won't sound good, its not worth it.

America the Beautiful was changed to America/O Canada, was changed to God Bless America (not sure we ever did that one though), was changed back to America/O Canada, was changed to Fanfare of Champions.

It's a good concept, but it is also a hastle for brasslines to be memorizing music that is not in the show. I think that the old school finales, where everyone plays their own piece was the best.