Its time to step up.

I have been watching the Legacy series from start to finish, and I can't believe how many corps that WE have let die. Everytime you get a letter asking for a donation to your former or favorite corps, how many of you throw it away? I have seen the Bridgemen BEGGING for help in 1984s Drum corps world papers, and it DIDN'T happen. Guardsmen, North Star Troopers, Sky Ryders, Freelancers, Velvet Knights, Defenders, LI Kingsmen, Pride of Cincinnati, Imperial guard, Rivermen, San Jose Raiders, and on. If former members of any corps get a letter asking for help, 20.00 from each one may have saved any number of those corps. I keep seeing threads saying which dead corps would you like to see come back? They didn't have to die. Please think about that the next time YOUR corps asks for help and keep one more from dying. If 20.00 is truly going to break you and take food from your table, then you are excused, otherwise step up to the plate and keep drum corps from disapearing.

Gas money is a BIG one. I for one put whatever I have in change ones, fives or tens in to the gas cups at the sales booths. I try to go to the smallest or least known corps at the show and give them what I can. I am in no way rich, but what little bit a ten can do for me, it can do more for a greater number of people, in an activity that I love. WE can SAVE a lot of on the verge corps from folding.

As for death and rebirth of drum corps:

http://www.xkingsmen.com

Not only have we brought back The Kingsmen as an alumni corps, you folks will soon be treated to Kingsmen StarCorps, our re-launch of a competitive Kingsmen jr. corps.

Kingsmen Alumni Corps has been drawing our members back from all over the United States and, indeed, the world. Transportation funds affect us all, whether driving or flying in for practice, but we're making it to full corps rehearsals at least once a month right now and there will be plenty more in the push for 07, I can assure you.

My old truck gets about 10 miles per gallon in a tailwind and it'll cost me somewhere around $75.00 to fill both tanks to start the drive down south to get to rehearsal and maybe another $35.00 to complete the round trip.....so yeah, it's costly on a Veteran's Disability income.....but I'll be doing it for the next 15 months or so for one simple reason:

It's worth it!

See you "out West" at DCI semi-finals night at The Rose Bowl in 07, folks! From the field, too! My first time since the late 60s, btw.

This is gonna be good!

RON HOUSLEY

Kingsmen Alumni Corps 07

I have been watching the Legacy series from start to finish, and I can't believe how many corps that WE have let die. Everytime you get a letter asking for a donation to your former or favorite corps, how many of you throw it away? I have seen the Bridgemen BEGGING for help in 1984s Drum corps world papers, and it DIDN'T happen. Guardsmen, North Star Troopers, Sky Ryders, Freelancers, Velvet Knights, Defenders, LI Kingsmen, Pride of Cincinnati, Imperial guard, Rivermen, San Jose Raiders, and on. If former members of any corps get a letter asking for help, 20.00 from each one may have saved any number of those corps. I keep seeing threads saying which dead corps would you like to see come back? They didn't have to die. Please think about that the next time YOUR corps asks for help and keep one more from dying. If 20.00 is truly going to break you and take food from your table, then you are excused, otherwise step up to the plate and keep drum corps from disapearing.

Although I agree with your post and appreciate your passion for the activity, I must also point out that are you saving a corps by getting the alumni to support it, or staving off death. If the corps cannot put together a reasonable budget and meet it, then are you doing the kids there any favors by saving it for one more year. I marched in a corps where if you were the last 10 or so in the food line there was no food left for you. I just want to make sure that the corps that are alive are able to manage for themselves and not put the kids through a miserable summer.

Truthfully, Yes, I want to save sustainable corps, but seriously think about what kind of money a corps could posess if everyone of their alumni could send just 20.00. It would more than save those corps, even the ones on the brink. I know its just a thread for discussion, but it really could work. People just have to step up to the plate. Take the Troopers for example. They have been around ( just a wild guess to use a number to make a point.) 50 years. 50 years times 100 marchers(give or take) times 20.00 for a total of 100,000 per year. That would definitly help the budget. This is all guestimation, some would be able to give much more, but if you marched in a corps that is still active and haven't donated a dime, you should definitly hang your head in shame. When its all gone except the elite 10 or so corps we can thank no one but ourselves. See you at the shows.

Heh. I always found statements like that really odd.

I gave my summers to a corps, I gave my best performances to a corps, I gave my time, my dedication, and my soul to my corps. After I turned 21, they didn't want me anymore, except to give them money.

PHAT CHANCE!!!

On the other hand... you're absolutely correct. Life sucks, sometimes.

Heh. I always found statements like that really odd.

I gave my summers to a corps, I gave my best performances to a corps, I gave my time, my dedication, and my soul to my corps. After I turned 21, they didn't want me anymore, except to give them money.

PHAT CHANCE!!!

Sounds like my colleges.....

Including the MB of one where I spent all of one year.... :unsure: