Finding Outdoor Places to Practice

Hi! Quick question. Does anyone from Raleigh NC know any good places to practice outdoors without getting complaints about disturbing the peace? I attempted to practice at East Gate Park today and while no one complained, the park is sorrounded by houses and my playing seemed to echo around the park. Any suggestions?

Elizabeth

Edited by Eaglesong

if by raligh you mean mrytle beach i can tell you the answer

if by raligh you mean mrytle beach i can tell you the answer

Well, I meant Raleigh NC, but-now you have me curious. Where, at Myrtle Beach?

Elizabeth,

Maybe you posted and I missed it. How'd your Carolina Gold visit go? Have you gone yet?

Here you are a newbie, and you already have some wisdom lotsa vets, mostly non-corps, never figure out: If you're going to play outside, one should do some practicing in same venue. Did Gold or someone on DCP suggest it? Plays tricks on you outside. Your volume may even go down as you don't have all the indoor reverb, and , of course, you're concerned about those neighbors. I have gone to large parks on week days.

I could suggest my fellow scuba instructor buddy's backyard, but his neighbors might balk. Wait! He's in Cozumel leading a scuba group this week for like his 30th trip to the Palancar Reef. Go to his house. Go left, 2nd right...Good luck!

Edited by CozyChopsCom

Elizabeth,

Maybe you posted and I missed it. How'd your Carolina Gold visit go? Have you gone yet?

Here you are a newbie, and you already have some wisdom lotsa vets, mostly non-corps, never figure out: If you're going to play outside, one should do some practicing in same venue. Did Gold or someone on DCP suggest it? Plays tricks on you outside. Your volume may even go down as you don't have all the indoor reverb, and , of course, you're concerned about those neighbors. I have gone to large parks on week days.

I could suggest my fellow scuba instructor buddy's backyard, but his neighbors might balk. Wait! He's in Cozumel leading a scuba group this week for like his 30th trip to the Palancar Reef. Go to his house. Go left, 2nd right...Good luck!

Was that English? wow.

Hey, a few places where I love to play my horn are some of the little office parks off of Falls of Neuse or Capital. There's a cool spot at Triangle Town Center diagonally across from the Target at Peyton Place. Its got a huge pond bordred by a waterfall and canopy seating on both sides. Most of the business have not been opened or leased out yet, so its still a relatively secluded area that's got great reverb. The top of the parking deck at Crabtree Valley Mall is pretty nice too. There's a cluster of office buildings in a little financial pocket on Spring Forest between Falls and Six Forks that's got a little pond/picnic area that stays pretty secluded in the evenings. At least no one's tried to sniper me from any of the buidings yet.

Elizabeth,

Dear CozyChops,

No, I haven't had time to post, lately. I haven't yet visited Carolina Gold but God-Willing, will be at the April 8th rehearsal next Saturday. No one suggested the playing outdoors to me; I figured that was just common sense. Besides, I can't be in Carolina Gold this year, so why not put myself in as close an atmosphere as possible? When I get comfortable with walking around while playing, I'm going to use some of the marching steps that I'll learn in Carolina Gold, that I don't already know. (My husband's taught me a few things from Marching Band; marching forward and backward, marking time, four-step turn, and a few others that I need to relearn because, "I need to concentrate on learning the trumpet well, first." Which is true. But-but-the marching gives me even more encouragement to learn my trumpet and the music. You know the feeling.)

But-despite cringing at the thought of whoever is in earshot, I love playing my trumpet outside. I love the great outdoors, anyway, no matter what the weather. Add my trumpet, great music, great marching, and a hundered or so people who feel the same way...I can't wait until next Saturday!!! Than on to 2007!!!...

Back to the original thread:

Anyway, one I'm sticking to North Raleigh, and two, I will not be the reason your scuba instructor gets shot...

Take care,

Was that English? wow.

Hey, a few places where I love to play my horn are some of the little office parks off of Falls of Neuse or Capital. There's a cool spot at Triangle Town Center diagonally across from the Target at Peyton Place. Its got a huge pond bordred by a waterfall and canopy seating on both sides. Most of the business have not been opened or leased out yet, so its still a relatively secluded area that's got great reverb. The top of the parking deck at Crabtree Valley Mall is pretty nice too. There's a cluster of office buildings in a little financial pocket on Spring Forest between Falls and Six Forks that's got a little pond/picnic area that stays pretty secluded in the evenings. At least no one's tried to sniper me from any of the buidings yet.

Dear Patrick,

Yea!! A fellow Raleigh person! You write the program and drills for Gulf Coast Sound? I've got some of they're audio recordings of previous programs recorded on my tape of Drum and Bugle Corps music. I taped that last summer.

Thanks. I may go check the Triangle Town Center location out tomorrow. (I'm off all day. Yea!!) ..The parking deck of Crabtree? Um, let me get just a little better, first.

This summer, I'm going to practice at Sanderson Highschool's football practice field. My husband attempted last summer to write a simple drill for me, but my playing still left A LOT to be desired. "Left-1-2-3-4-Hey, I thought you knew the C Major Scale!" Plus, I started practicing out there about two weeks before football training started. That idea ended fast. The parks around here would be okay if they wern't surrounded by so many houses.

(If ya'll are wondering why my husband isn't joining me, it's because one, he's trying to find a job right now, and two, he had a Band accident back in 1998 that ruined his lips for trumpet playing.)

Take care, and sorry about the rambling. I'm just so excited about this!

Dear Patrick,

Yea!! A fellow Raleigh person! You write the program and drills for Gulf Coast Sound? I've got some of they're audio recordings of previous programs recorded on my tape of Drum and Bugle Corps music. I taped that last summer.

That's fantastic. I'm really glad you enjoy our product. I hope you get a chance to see us in 2006 because I think our show will be really refreshing and different, but still unmistakeably "drum corps".

I think you'll find the sooner you get out there and fill up an open area with sound, the more confidence you'll gain. And it really doesn't matter how much experience or talent you take with you to the corps of your choice, but the amount of outside work you're willing to do and also that intangible known as heart will take you a long way.

Do you need access to a soprano bugle? I can probably help you out in that area.

Dear CozyChops,

No, I haven't had time to post, lately. I haven't yet visited Carolina Gold but God-Willing, will be at the April 8th rehearsal next Saturday. No one suggested the playing outdoors to me;

(snip)

Anyway, one I'm sticking to North Raleigh, and two, I will not be the reason your scuba instructor gets shot...

Elizabeth,

In corps, we practice a lot outside. Naturally, we perform mostly outside. Yet, as individuals, many spend little time outside practicing alone. You are ahead of the game understanding it's important to practice in the same venue we perform in, whether it's in corps rehearsal or alone.

I visit Raleigh a 2/3 times a year (last April and again on my way to the DCA Championships in Scranton, PA, and on my way home). My fellow scuba instructor buddy lives in north Raleigh. Small world.

Best of luck to you. If you march and play outside, be careful. Get some pointers from your husband and others. Like I told you before, walk around casually, even inside, while playing, then worry about proper posture and horn angle. Best of luck!