Best chord of all time?

:58 in Phantom '89, the first "angry" chord of the show.

Somehow I forgot to mention Crown '01. 2:21, when the mellos come in after the low brass, before they resolve to the fifth of the chord. That's my favorite motif of the opener, how the mellos seem to occasionally resolve up to the 5, and sometimes just hold their suspension (or hold their note without resolving down, like at 4:05. They spend almost the whole opener jumping around between passing tones and other random acts of intentional and outstandingly orchestrated dissonance. The chords make the show for me, for the most part.

One of favorite chords of all time is from 4:19 to 4:23. Huge goosebumps everytime, without exception. I think its a minor-major 7th?? I could have that backwards, but I don't think so.

I also really like the chords from 10:36 to 10:42, when the brass comes back in after the 32 count drum break/horn attacks. The tension leading into the brass re-entry was well-done from a G.E. standpoint, and the first chord coming back in was definitely a good one.

Edited by Jared_mello

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hands down that G Maj #11 at the end of Star 93

Goosebumps everytime

My all time favorite chord is from SCV's '04 show, in the closer right after the trumpet trio. 6:47. I heard that one finals night from 3rd tier of Mile High Stadium... just about knocked me over.

• 4 weeks later...

So anyone want to let a completely uninformed English major know what the chord at the end of the Tank drill move in BD 01 is? It's about at 9:25 on the recording.

Pardon me if this should be really obvious and simple. I have very little knowledge of music theory. I apologize.

It blows my mind that nobody has mentioned this yet...

Spirit of Atlanta 1980 - The last chord of "Georgia"

Kids, just ask your directors and staff? MOST experts will tell you that it has never been any better than that.

AGREED!!! :laugh:

One of my favorite chords ever is the last chord in BD 2000's ballad at 6:30 I believe. Just perfect in every way. Same goes for the last ballad chord in Cavies 2000 as previosly mentioned.

Kudos to 85 BD's Liferaft Earth stuff as well.

Another hair-raising moment for me is the last few chords of Madison 90 right after the drumline setup into the push at the end. One of my all-time favorite drum corps shows!

So anyone want to let a completely uninformed English major know what the chord at the end of the Tank drill move in BD 01 is? It's about at 9:25 on the recording.

Pardon me if this should be really obvious and simple. I have very little knowledge of music theory. I apologize.

It's cool. That's just a "power chord". I don't know which notes specifically, but it's just a root and fifth. Your standard drum corps/rock and roll chord :P

EDIT: Wait, I do know what notes they are now that I'm actually not being lazy, it's E and B.

Edited by dcpguy1111

6:58 to 7:00, during SCV '96, La Mer. Wow.......definitely a "blow you back in your seat" chord, and I love the little progression leading into it too. Anyone else remember this one?

The SCV '96 is definitely the next show that's going to grow on me over time. I hadn't listened to it in around a year or two, and have become much more familiar with Debussy's source material recently.

I also love the opening chords to Cadets '96, An American West. Once the brass comes in to accompany the pit, makes it even better.

Edited by Jared_mello

It's cool. That's just a "power chord". I don't know which notes specifically, but it's just a root and fifth. Your standard drum corps/rock and roll chord :P

EDIT: Wait, I do know what notes they are now that I'm actually not being lazy, it's E and B.

I kind of thought it was an open fifth, but just wanted to get affirmation/confirmation.