new Yamaha Mellophone...

ctbari

I see more than 1 of the corps are selling the Yamaha YMP-203MS mellophones that they just got last November, (& really haven't even used yet) and are replacing them with Yamaha's new YMP-204MS, that was just announced. Wasn't the 203 a new model announced in Jan. 2005? Did the corps have a problem with them? They seem to be selling them for a pretty good price... especially given their lack of use/abuse... unless they have a problem.

The 203 has been in the line since about 2001, I think; I bought one from WWBW in December 2003. The 204 is supposed to be greatly improved over the 203. The slot for the top-line F in the 203s is very narrow, and the lower range has been reputed to be very flat (I have the former problem with my horn, but not the latter). They've changed the length of the valve slides on the 204, and changed the bell flare (again).

The info on the 204 is on their website. There are great deals on the 203s out there. YEA is selling a peck of them off this spring and it appears that they are only 6 months old. Probably never seen a field. Great price for a solid horn.

I thought the intonation issues in the bottom register where just you Jeff. :P

The 204 is the best Mellophone I have ever played. It would be worth paying extra for.

I really want to try one of these.

• 4 weeks later...

exactly how much extra? and which corps were you refering to? or is there a need for asking, i can just assume can't I...

Last year a Yamaha rep came to my corps and gave a few of our mello players a chance to play a new prototype to get some feedback. The report I got on it was that it was better by far than their current models. They said it had a much nicer sound, seemed more open, and was just generally easier to play, especially fast. I'm assuming that that was this 204 being referred to.

exactly how much extra?

I mean that if I was given the choice between paying regular price for a 204 and getting a discount on the 203, it would be worth paying for the 204.

Whenever they become available!

387894.jpg

For those who haven't seen yet, this may wet your appetite.