pick your favourite years - part 3.

Pick your favourites:  

68 members have voted

1. 1. Velvet Knights

2. 2. Suncoast Sound

3. 3. Star of Indiana

• Blast!

VK: i thought 88 fit them perfectly...precision and a sense of humour. one of the best playing vk's ever fielded.

the mighty Suncoast: although i love a florida suite and the 88 year was incredibly innovative (a real 93 star type of concept) i went with 86. Their hornline and percussion were just fantastic...a very difficult show that never really stopped...just one tune to the next.

Star: hmmmm.....93? what a suprise. although 89 was very agressive and 90 was just unbelievable with their drill and book, 93 is a historical presentation that will be talked about around the campfire for years to come.

NIce choice of corps that are no longer in the activity.

1988 Velvet Knights, like being an actor, to bring comedy to a performance activity is much harder most times than being straight. In 1988 VK tied all the pieces together with a brilliant hornline and great show.

1985 Suncoast from this list. I would have chosen 1983 if I had the choice. But 1985 was fun, great guard and hornline. Mr. Smith put himself in a different level of composer with this work!

1993 Star, great show, and really set the activity on its ear. They changed the way drum corps would program their shows from then on.

Velvet Knights 1988 was a very good corp.

Suncoast 1989 a Florida Suite music was great, never a dull moment in the book.

Guard was years ahead of its time the full tri-ad and Jazz Modern feel, a basic black costume........ The g ard book, with full body and equipment, same style star would use years later when Gumbert went there from Suncoast to Star 1993.

there were a few visual innovations in suncoast's 89 presentation (Kevin Ford, I believe) and that's what got them into finals. There is absolutely no comparison of 85....89 lacked the music, hence why they watered everything down and played so square.

I actually LOVED Suncoasts 1987 My Fair Lady, but that wasn't a choice, so I went with 1986. 1985's Florida Suite was awsome too.

VK 87 was awsome, right VKGary?

Star 1990 had the best series of power chords in a drumcorps show!

Oh, and I really like Freelancers' 1990 Batman show, though many of the ideas were taken from previous years!

Man, Freelancers, SkyRyders, & Muchachos should have been added to this list!

Edited by jjeffeory

I eenie meenie minee mo-ed Star 1990, 1991, and 1993

ended up with Star 1990