Just got back from the Brass Reunion indoor alumni-corps concert in the Philly area sponsored by the Archer-Epler Musketeers.... a few ramblings, if I may:

It felt like a mini-Sunrisers reunion...... it was nice to see some of my old Sun pals from back in the day, either there as fans or participating with one or more of the corps.

Tony and Donna White, Marty "Stan" Roche, Frank Voltaggio, Chris Codd, John Arietano, Danny Burushkin, Jim and Marie Powers....... all of them real good people, except for Jim Powers, who is still a lowlife.

JUST KIDDING, Jim!!!!!

It was also nice to get to see a show as a fan, for a change ( or at least part of a show.... didn't get a chance to see every corps), rather than working at a show. I gotta admit, though... it feels weird for me to actually pay for a ticket! :P

Drum Corps Hall of Famer Riggie Laus of the Steel City Ambassadors can still flat-out get it done on a soprano, at 80 years of age. The guy puts on a clinic on how to play with a big, full tone.... all of this on an ancient valve-slide bugle. Wow!

The "real" Blessed Sacrament Golden Knights hornline showed up for this show. Sac's brass had an uncharacteristically rough night at the Baltimore indoor show a few weeks ago, but tonight they were back in "the impact zone." This alumni corps' lead soprano line would be the envy of many a competition corps, junior or senior. Great sound tonight!!!!

The host corps, Archer-Epler, sounded better tonight than at any time I've seen them in the past several years, IMO. I really appreciate the balanced sound of their hornline, which is a relatively small line compared to several other alumni corps. In Archer-Epler's line, no one's trying to be a hero and blow the bell off the instrument..... good, full sound across the board. Very nice job tonight!

New Jersey's Lambertville Volunteers continue to be, IMO, the "hardest-working corps in show biz"...... and one of the activity's best-kept secrets, too. A fairly small hornline handles some tough John Arietano charts very well. And John can still play a bit on soprano, to say the least.

Once again, it was nice to see (and hear) the Audubon Bon-Bons Alumni Chorus at the Brass Reunion.... the singing is a change of pace from all that drumming and bugling. :P In particular, the ladies from Audubon do a great job singing the Star-Spangled Banner.

Had a chance to chat at the post-show party with Chuck Quackenbush of Blue Rock and Rhode Island Matadors fame, now playing with Archer-Epler.... great guy, with some great stories from a bygone era of drum corps. There most definitely was some wild stuff going on "way back when"...!!!!!

OK... gotta go..... way too tired, fingers getting numb.....LOL

Fran

Edited by Fran Haring

Just got back from the Brass Reunion indoor alumni-corps concert in the Philly area sponsored by the Archer-Epler Musketeers.... a few ramblings, if I may:

It felt like a mini-Sunrisers reunion...... it was nice to see some of my old Sun pals from back in the day, either there as fans or participating with one or more of the corps.

Tony and Donna White, Marty "Stan" Roche, Frank Voltaggio, Chris Codd, John Arietano, Danny Burushkin, Jim and Marie Powers....... all of them real good people, except for Jim Powers, who is still a lowlife.

JUST KIDDING, Jim!!!!!

It was also nice to get to see a show as a fan, for a change ( or at least part of a show.... didn't get a chance to see every corps), rather than working at a show. I gotta admit, though... it feels weird for me to actually pay for a ticket! :P

Drum Corps Hall of Famer Riggie Laus of the Steel City Ambassadors can still flat-out get it done on a soprano, at 80 years of age. The guy puts on a clinic on how to play with a big, full tone.... all of this on an ancient valve-slide bugle. Wow!

The "real" Blessed Sacrament Golden Knights hornline showed up for this show. Sac's brass had an uncharacteristically rough night at the Baltimore indoor show a few weeks ago, but tonight they were back in "the impact zone." This alumni corps' lead soprano line would be the envy of many a competition corps, junior or senior. Great sound tonight!!!!

The host corps, Archer-Epler, sounded better tonight than at any time I've seen them in the past several years, IMO. I really appreciate the balanced sound of their hornline, which is a relatively small line compared to several other alumni corps. In Archer-Epler's line, no one's trying to be a hero and blow the bell off the instrument..... good, full sound across the board. Very nice job tonight!

New Jersey's Lambertville Volunteers continue to be, IMO, the "hardest-working corps in show biz"...... and one of the activity's best-kept secrets, too. A fairly small hornline handles some tough John Arietano charts very well. And John can still play a bit on soprano, to say the least.

Once again, it was nice to see (and hear) the Audubon Bon-Bons Alumni Chorus at the Brass Reunion.... the singing is a change of pace from all that drumming and bugling. :P In particular, the ladies from Audubon do a great job singing the Star-Spangled Banner.

Had a chance to chat at the post-show party with Chuck Quackenbush of Blue Rock and Rhode Island Matadors fame, now playing with Archer-Epler.... great guy, with some great stories from a bygone era of drum corps. There most definitely was some wild stuff going on "way back when"...!!!!!

Fran

Fran,

Who you callin' "real good people"...... :sshh: (and as for Jim.... b**bs )

I'm just getting back to normal (If, with my health, I can be referred to as "normal"....not that I EVER was normal.... :laugh: ) I'm uploading my pics and will make them available soon. (Even have a couple of that conversation with Chuck Quackenbush) Even though it does take it's toll out of me, Saturday was a great night of Alumni DC.

It was great to see Fran enjoy the show and have our faces "pealed" by some sopranos... Nice to get to talk with a few old Renegades (RCA from Mass.) and Sunrisers friends again. To enjoy a nice lunch with you Fran, Marty and Mattie. It has been too long...

Congratulations to all the Alumni Corps (and Bon Bons Chorus) great show...

Congrats to Marty 'Stan' Roche's induction into the PADCHOF as well as all of the 2006 Inductees

Yours in Corps,

Tony B)

Fran,

Who you callin' "real good people"...... :sshh: (and as for Jim.... b**bs )

I'm just getting back to normal (If, with my health, I can be referred to as "normal"....not that I EVER was normal.... :laugh: ) I'm uploading my pics and will make them available soon. (Even have a couple of that conversation with Chuck Quackenbush) Even though it does take it's toll out of me, Saturday was a great night of Alumni DC.

It was great to see Fran enjoy the show and have our faces "pealed" by some sopranos... Nice to get to talk with a few old Renegades (RCA from Mass.) and Sunrisers friends again. To enjoy a nice lunch with you Fran, Marty and Mattie. It has been too long...

Congratulations to all the Alumni Corps (and Bon Bons Chorus) great show...

Congrats to Marty 'Stan' Roche's induction into the PADCHOF as well as all of the 2006 Inductees

Yours in Corps,

Tony B)

Pics from the 2006 Brass Reunion..... :rolleyes:

(the show an also at the Archer Epler VFW Post # 979)

(Link for my Flickr Albums)

2006 Brass Reunion Pics

Tony B)

JUST KIDDING, Jim!!!!!

Fran

Pics from the 2006 Brass Reunion..... :rolleyes:

(the show an also at the Archer Epler VFW Post # 979)

(Link for my Flickr Albums)

2006 Brass Reunion Pics

Tony B)

Fran, Join our site if you are not a member already and add your summery of the show for us..I think some of the members would enjoy it...Thanks, Mar

The link is...http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/drumcorpsphotos2/

• 2 weeks later...

Fran, that wasn't really you wearing that awful orange tee-shirt was it? You got something for the color orange or something?!? LOL!

Couldn't get back east for the show this year. Perhaps in 2007 you'll get to hear me sing...

CU in Rochester...