DCI DVDs should be in Netflix.

It would be brilliant. If you assume that the people who rent it from Netflix were never going to buy the DVDs, then DCI might very well get more revenue out of it than they get today. If people rent instead of purchase, then it does mess up the model. The ability to rent them would only increase the odds of me buying more DVD sets. I absolutely love the idea of previewing a DVD through someone like Netflix before making a purchase decision.

The problem of people just "keeping" the DVDs, in this case, is not a concern. Why? Because I'm willing to bet most fans won't be content with just 3 of the multitude of DVD (sets?) out there, and there's no way... at least no cheap or easy way... to trick NetFlix into giving you ALL the DCI DVDs... sorry kids, you have to send the 3 back to get 3 more.

all i know is that would be great i would deffidently subscibe to netflix if it were to happen, maybe ill send an email or make a phone call....idk

I bought all the historical VHS DCI offered once (back to 1988), and I bought the DVD's that had shows I was interested in seeing in that format (scattered 80's, the 77-79 years, 1991), but DCI is most probably not getting anymore sales from me for $39 dvd's. I've already stopped buying the new ones, which are way too expensive for me to buy anymore. The ones I have get limited use as it is.

If DCI put their dvd's on netflix, I might consider renting some of them (especially the ones from the 70's).

I doubt they'll offer that option, though...they'd consider it sales lost. It's not the case with me (since I'm not buying anymore dvd's), but that's probably the most likely outcome. I figure, if you wanted those dvd's by now and are already involved in the activity, then you'd have them already. How many years ago did they start offering them?

Another thing is...If you are new to the activity, then a dvd rental of DCI might get you into a corps or spread the word about the awesome entertainment DCI provides. I remember I used to borrow the 88 VHS tapes from my band director...they got me interested in corps. Being able to show my family what it was, via the tapes, helped a lot.

After all, it's about the kids, isn't it? If it could help get kids into corps, then that'd be cool. Netflix could make a suggestion to everyone who rents "drumline" for instance, that they should check out DCI's dvd's. Maybe a trial run of a few? Or those compilations from the theatres? Those would be good for offering via rental.

My 2 cents.

Edited by festive

After all, it's about the kids, isn't it? If it could help get kids into corps, then that'd be cool. Netflix could make a suggestion to everyone who rents "drumline" for instance, that they should check out DCI's dvd's. Maybe a trial run of a few? Or those compilations from the theatres? Those would be good for offering via rental.

That would be brilliant. They don't have to offer the entire catalog, but putting the Countdown DVDs on there would be a great marketing move. It advertises the entire activity, as well as the video backcatalog that DCI would like to move. I don't see the negatives on this idea, especially when confined to the Countdown DVDs.

Legacy DVD's should be 20 bucks. I felt ripped off paying 40 dollars for 1997. I could see DVD's flying off the shelf at that price. HELLO DCI MARKETING FOLKS!!! I would definitely buy more at a reasonable price. And where's the ITUNES type option. I generally only like a handful of shows a year. WGI now has an option where you put your choice of shows on a dvd for 20 dollars. effing genious!