The Cadets of Bergen County '96 - best contra line ever.

I think the Cadets had a better contra line that year. They moved a LOT more, played better contextually in the ensemble, had more challenging parts, and during the impact moments, I felt they had just as much power.

I'm disqualifying Cadets 96 on visual grounds, Jared. Sorry, bro.

I'm going to disqualify all Star and/or Phantom lines on the same grounds, though 05 Phantom comes close to meeting my ridiculous standards. :) I want to see contras jazz running and performing rapid, flawless direction changes like they're marching with nothing on their shoulders.

I'm a fan of BD 99, though I'm still waiting for their drill writer to treat the contra line like they're official members of the BD hornline for the entire show. Cadets, Bluecoats, SCV, etc. are doing it. It's BD's turn now. I know those dudes can handle it.

If I remember correctly, Boston had a contra line that moved really well in 04.

Which visual grounds.....individual performance? Moving as an ensemble? Feet? Posture?

Oh, and I'll also disagree because of relative lack of clarity as a section, and overblowing throughout most of the show. For the first example I can remember off the top of my head, listen to the last chord. ::listens:: Ok, there's overblowing at 11:08, after the euph takes its turn to stick out, listen to the tuba follow suit. There.

Next? Haha.

Wait, wait, wait. Hold on.

Are you saying that Phantom's low brass overblows? Seriously? Never noticed.

Anyway, repeated viewings and listenings of Spin Cycle has led me to believe that at the very least ONE of the best contra lines I've ever seen/heard is that of Cavaliers 03. Tons of visual demand (seriously, that show is freaking nuts) with a lot of technical passages played VERY well. I have not heard many contra lines that can play that well together with such proficiency. As I've said about the 03 show before, the design team knew they were going to have a lot of returning members and that the new members would be pretty talented. The contra section definitely gave the goods.

IMO, they didn't even have the best contra line in 1996 (Phantom Regiment... anyone ?).

Anyway, the best contra line ever is Star of Indiana 1992.

End of discussion.

Amen

:blink: Star of Indiana Contra lines 1989-1993 :huh: