Cadets '96 Olympics Performance on Google Video

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=28...331584631&q=dci

I personally had never seen it, until today. I have to say....they did an absolutely unbelivable job performing their show with the circumstances they were given. They performed their closer, and then some skit/parade march with some American comedian I hadn't ever heard of. They did a great job not only marching and playing their show, but selling their whole "character" for the skit while still projecting themselves as a very professional ensemble. Of course the snobby British annoucer ("oh, it appears that there a joke underway") fails to give them any credit at all after they finish. "The Cadets of Bergen County......I won't say...uh.....the best performance I've seen....at Olympic arenas.....but I must say....as I said at the start....make your own judgement." Somehow it took him 30 seconds to complete that tremendously ###-holey statement. They were portrayed as extremely militaristic, and only answer/respond to specific commands. Gotta love how an undescribably difficult show (WITH NO YARD LINES OR HASHES....I can't even imagine having absolutely NO frame of reference) and a well-sold routine afterwards is taken as a huge joke, and obviously from my perspective, unfortunately highly underappreciated. I suppose that's the difference between people who understand it and those who don't.....it's sad, but true.

I guess that's one of the reasons why DCP is around, though. In that case, I'll use this thread to say it....bravo, '96 Cadets. What you did at the Olympics IS appreciated, especially considering everyone on here knows how difficult that must have been. Difficult as a performer to pull off a field show in that gigantic ocean of a field, and difficult as people who put so much energy into a lifestyle and activity, to be essentially laughed at on a global spectrum (that was the intent, at least....you could see that some fans really did appreciate it, and you could see fans getting up to give a standing ovation afterwards). Well done, ladies and gentlemen.

Oh, and I wasn't too surprised that they chose not to include that crazy move out of the company front (the one they also did in '95)....as that moment was approaching, I was thinking to myself "no, there's no way they're going to do it." Didn't like the musical replacement, but it's completely understandable. I couldn't believe the last few sets looked as good as they did; that's what a summer of rehearsing does for you. Interesting to hear that part after the drum break without the phasing, now that I figured out where to listen for it; it's amazing how QUICKLY they fixed the tear on finals night. That's one of the biggest differences between band and corps, I suppose. Regardless of all that, I must also say....the hornline (think about how far they had to project) and drumline sounded pretty great, and the color guard looked incredible, just like they did on a real football field. 2:44 to 2:54 on this recording....I LOVE those chords. :)

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I. Love. This. Show.

And actually, I think I'm pretty sure this was before they put on the "real ending," this is when they still moved the company front forward using an excerpt form the beginning of "The Happy Ending" as a nice chorale before segueing into the those chords...not sure how much later, though, they took that out and decided to add some crazy drill, with a huge silence before the chords. Not sure which is more effective or which I like better...

But yeah. How they did that with no yardlines or hashes I'll never know. Can anyone who was in this show give a litle insight?

And also......they wound up coming in third, by only .5. Aside from having to learn this huge routine, they also obviously had to spend time performing it. They also didn't have a great run on finals night, apparently (judging by the fact that this extremely talented ensemble had a musical tear on finals night, for example). Does anyone else think that it would have been much more than a slight possibility that distractions and bad nights aside, they had a great chance of taking (or sharing in, perhaps) the title that year? Interesting thought...

Wow wish we could get footage of when the 27th Lancers performed at the 1980 Lake Placid Winter Olympics on ICE..talk about no hashes or marks..could you imagine? :)

Wow wish we could get footage of when the 27th Lancers performed at the 1980 Lake Placid Winter Olympics on ICE..talk about no hashes or marks..could you imagine? :)

While ice is definitely something I can't imagine performing on, and any show that's performed without hashes or yardlines is commendable; it's still incomparable. Different eras, different extents of velocity within the program, different brass arranging (mid-90's Cadets of Bergen County shows are among the most complicated, challenging hornbooks ever written), shows designed to be judged under different criteria, etc.

Yeah, that British announcer was an arse.

The show was incredible. And it's hard enough

to guide to a form with yardlines...especially

long diagonals...yet they pulled it off without yardlines

or hash marks!

Edited by madalumni

The one good thing I can say about the BBC vid is that at least they show the whole thing, unlike the American station broadcasting it.

While ice is definitely something I can't imagine performing on, and any show that's performed without hashes or yardlines is commendable; it's still incomparable. Different eras, different extents of velocity within the program, different brass arranging (mid-90's Cadets of Bergen County shows are among the most complicated, challenging hornbooks ever written), shows designed to be judged under different criteria, etc.

Who is comparing? I'm just saying the fact that anyone can perform on ice like what they did, no matter what era, is incredible. And they were the first to perform at the Olympics btw.

I also thought that you were always taught to be able to perform without any hashes or yardlines, to know your spots so well you didn't necessarily need them..at least Zingali used to teach us that when we marched. Was Marc with them then?

That would be called "form marching". It really comes in handy when you are rehearsing condensed drill in a gym on stormy days :)

I'd like to see 27's performance too. Did they have motion picture cameras back then? :P

<RUNS TO DUCK AND COVER FROM LANCERLADY> :unsure:

That would be called "form marching". It really comes in handy when you are rehearsing condensed drill in a gym on stormy days :)

I'd like to see 27's performance too. Did they have motion picture cameras back then? :P

<RUNS TO DUCK AND COVER FROM LANCERLADY> :unsure:

"Form Marching" =Leading off the people you're next too...your peripheral vision..yeah..that's it.. :P (Sometimes that's the only way you could march a Zingali/Sylvester drill..).

I've tried to get footage of it, I know the Olympic people have it but man it's hard to get a hold of..Yes in 1980 they had cameras...(smarty pants).. :P