Quarters to Finals stats

so I'm not working today... and I find myself sitting in front of my computer--- checked out BK's AWESOME site (my favorite Div 1 site actually) and looked at some of the past few years statistics... and i wondered to myself... "what corps do better or worse at improving their scores from quarterfinals to finals??" "are there any trends?"... and whatnot... here is what i found looking at BD, Bluecoats, Cadets, Cavies, Madison, Phantom, and SCV from 2003, 2004, and 2005

EDIT- ok so my conversion from excel to DCP is really messing this up (the spacing is way off...) so i'll just post the abbreviated verson/results.. and use dashes and periods to sub for spaces...one sec

here are the results in order of improvement... the total and average are given...

(improvement from quarters to finals for each year)

----------------------2005----------2004----------2003----------total----------average/year----------

Bluecoats.............2.05...............1.55...............1.05..............4.

Cadets.................1.1................1...................1.65..............

Blue Devils..........1.025.............1.3.................1.................3.325...

Phantom.............1.55...............0.375..............0.5..............2.425

Cavies................1.125.............0.95...............0.3..............2.37

SCV....................0.975............1.075..............0.................2.0

Madison...............0.095............0.7.................0.45.............1.24

(whoops! i actually had BD and BC switched for 2004... now its correct... )

Edited by nero14

yeah i was planning on atleast going back to 2000, but BK's site didnt have the finals scores from 2002 as i was going backwards... so i just stopped at the last complete year i have... i think i could probably take it back afew more years... i just figure i've wasted enough time as it is today! ha

my opinion would be that things would even out a little more if you took it back 10 years instead of just 3... with staff changes and lots of other factors- i'm sure some that have done better recently would not have improved as much and some corps that didnt improve much over the last few years would have improved better...

Edited by nero14

can anyone say spirit??? I know for a fact that the year I marched, if I remember correctly that were the only corps to increase their score(at least out of the top 11) from quarters to semis...I'm not sure bout quarters to finals ...but I bet if you look at them each year, you would see the improvement.

I think that these numbers should take into consideration the actual room for improvement that each corps had. For example, if Cadets and Bluecoats both increased their scores by 1.5, but Cadets only had 3.5 possible points to make up while Bluecoats had 8.0 points to make up (i.e. reach 100), then the 1.5 point increase for Cadets is a much higher percent increase when based on the total points available to increase. With that said, I would be surprised if Bluecoats or a corps from the middle to lower top 12 did not average the highest raw point increase, they simply have more total points available to them.