marching styles . . .

i am going to audition for the 07 edition of the memphis sound

and they use the "stright leg technique"

are there any div 1 corps that march this style?

the reason i ask about div 1 is that vids of div 1 corps are easier to find.

also, since marching style of a corps is liable to change at any time, if anyone knows of years of a specific corps where the corps marched this style, please tell me

me friend thinks its similar to what we use at my high school [he calls it glide step] but until i see it for myself, i cant be sure.

i dotn wanna go into th e audition without knowing how i need to march in the audition

any help is appreciated . . .

thanks

-austin

Dude, I would recomend going to the audition with an open mind. Don't try to learn a technique from a video of another corps. Stay in step and take instruction, you'll be fine. You have all winter and Spring to get good at it.

yeah i understand that, but the reason behind this is just to get an idea of what im going to be doing

my reasoning is if that if tis different from what i do now, it miht be a good idea to go ahead and learn how to do it, that way i dotn ahve to worry about learning something ELSE come audition time

and if my friend is right and it IS what we do at my high school, then ill feel much safer and much mroe confident when the audition comes as well

There is a handful of corps that use that technique. Blue Devils and Cadets are your best bet for a good idea of what it is. The other posts are right though....just go into the camp with an open mind. They won't cut you because you don't use their technique at your high school or whatever. No worries.

Every corps audition process I know of approaches the marching portion as a "clinic". That is, they teach everyone at the same time, with the understanding that everyone comes from different backrounds. The audition is not so much how well you can achieve the technique as how well you rehearse/respond to instruction. Since you have some amount of basic marching experience, you are more than equipped to handle the "audition".

With that being said, you might not want to practice the technique before you go there. Corps' visual techniques are constantly evolving, and there are changes made from year to year. You may not realize it, but even the top corps are tweaking their techniques, both in music and marching, from season to season. These changes are even more drastic with any staff changes. Since you can't completely bet on a complete visual staff sticking around, you can't bet that the corps you're auditioning for won't change their technique between now and then.

I'd echo the above advice to just "expect anything". Going in with an open mind will help you 10x more than any technique practice. Also . . . practice your horn :)

Much Luck!

-meghan

I wouldn't use the Cadets style to audition for any corps but the Cadets... corps SAY they are straight leg... but that probably means they are most like the Blue Devils... Cadets march the wooden sodier technique...

I wouldn't use the Cadets style to audition for any corps but the Cadets... corps SAY they are straight leg... but that probably means they are most like the Blue Devils... Cadets march the wooden sodier technique...

It really isn't that different that what the Crossmen do...or what they are supposed to do. The Cadets do what they do well and it is "straight leg" technique. We could get into specifics but there are many variations of this technique. I doubt you could find two corps that use the same exact technique.

my reasoning is if that if tis different from what i do now, it miht be a good idea to go ahead and learn how to do it, that way i dotn ahve to worry about learning something ELSE come audition time

Don't sweat it man, you're getting too worked up about it.

Corps know that their members are going to come from a lot of different backgrounds and styles. I garantee you, you will not be cut based on whether you nail the marching technique. Its done in a clinic format.

Corps are way more interested in your work ethic and your playing. They know that marching can and will be taught.

i am going to audition for the 07 edition of the memphis sound

and they use the "stright leg technique"

are there any div 1 corps that march this style?

the reason i ask about div 1 is that vids of div 1 corps are easier to find.

also, since marching style of a corps is liable to change at any time, if anyone knows of years of a specific corps where the corps marched this style, please tell me

me friend thinks its similar to what we use at my high school [he calls it glide step] but until i see it for myself, i cant be sure.

i dotn wanna go into th e audition without knowing how i need to march in the audition

any help is appreciated . . .

thanks

-austin

I HIGHLY suggest you just practice the technique you know currently. Trying to learn a technique off of a video could lead you to learn the technique incorrectly, and causing you to have bad habits that may be difficult to break. Going in not knowing the technique is much better than going in with the attitude "I know this technique.", as you may ignore some of the intricacies.

I think most corps would rather have a clueless "rook" to teach, rather than a know it all bando to correct.

Edited by VKCanosUSMCContra