Box Center Episode 23

Episode 23 of Box Center is now ready for download.

In this week's episode, we continue our build-up to the 2006 North American drum corps season, reviewing the latest BlueView and Behind the Star podcasts, both of which preview Blue Devils and Vanguard. We also peek into a week with Pacific Crest member Ben Cornejo. Finally, the European drum corps season continues with contest results from the Netherlands and the United Kingdom.

All this and more on Box Center Episode 23

Listen to it Now!

• 1 month later...

A word about the 1963 Geneva Appleknockers recording of "Crazy Rhythm". The soprano soloist was Drum Corps and Buglers' Hall of Famer Ken "Ace" Petersen. He is still going strong with Mighty St. Joe's Alumni at age 75 where I have the pleasure of playing along side him. He was my corps director in the junior corps forty years ago.

The man has to have had some of the fastest hands ever on the valve/rotor bugle. Check out his chromatic runs! I have always admired his sweet and effortless sound and "jazz sense". This man in no small part helped to legitimize the G bugle as an instrument capable of producing fine music. All of us in drum corps owe a debt of gratitude for the inspiration he has provided to generations of drum corps buglers.

Geoff Whiting