The Drum Corps season is upon us and I'm kinda bummed

First off, let me say that I'm a drum corps fanatic. And I mean F-A-N-A-T-I-C. It's without a doubt one of the greatest, most thrilling, awe-inspiring activities that humans have collectively accomplished from an entertainment and talent aspect, in my humble opinion.

Now, how on earth could someone possibly be bummed about the beginning of another DCI season who feels this way.

Here's why........because I never marched(corps anyway). And I could have. I auditioned for the Troopers(Snare) many, many moons ago. I made the line and was absolutely stoked. Me and one of my good friend(also snare) traveled out to Casper for a Winter camp. We both made the Snare line which that year was taught by Cadets age-out, Lou Boldrighini(who I believe marched Snare during the prior year. Lou was, obviously, an amazing player. If I remember correctly, the prior season the Cadets won the title scoring a perfect 20.0 in Percussion. His sticks were professionally engraved....CADETS 20.0. Regardless, that camp was a blast. The instruction, the road-trip to Casper and back. Improving so much in just three days. I'll never forget it. And that was the camp. Unfortunately, as we lived on the left coast, we weren't able to attend any other camps due to both logistical and financial reasons.

That was, and I kid you not, one of the biggest mistakes of my life. You see, I could've somehow, someway have found a way to march. But, at that time, being a student, it was so tough to make ends meet, and sadly, no funds were available from my family.

If only I could go back in time and have that spring and summer over again. It'd be so different. I would've sold every single earthly possession to raise enough funds to have marched. Don't get me wrong here, I'm a happy soul. I've got a very solid job making a very nice income, live in a very nice home, have a lovely wife and two beautiful daughters. But......there's no going back. There are no "re-do's". And that's a tough thing. What if's can be killers. I do wonder how my life might've been different had I marched. It wouldn't of mattered one bit that Troop didn't make Top 12 that year and ended up placing 19th. I find myself wondering all the time about the experiences of a lifetime that I missed out on. The sad thing is, I can't even remember ONE memorable thing about that summer. Nothing. I just worked. And in hindsight, I can't even say that my earnings from that lost summer were the difference in my staying in school or not. All I can remember now is what I didn't do and what I'll never be able to do now.......march and tour.

All I can say is if you're lucky enough to be able to march this summer, cherish every minute. Because before you know it, it'll all be over and your life will enter a new chapter of higher education, marriage, and 40+ hour work weeks and mortgage payments.

So....that's my rediculous little story. I'll tell you this much, if either of my daughters want to march(with ANY corps), they'll have Dad's 100% support. I can't tell you how happy I'd be to see one of them march, but that's a looooong way off. We'll keep you posted though. ;)

To all members of every Corps in every Class......congrats on making it and sticking with it! Have a great season! I'll be watching and cheering you on.

Edited by ross102591

I feel you man. I have at least two friends who had chances to march, but somehow logistics or the 'real world' got in the way of actually doing it. Whenever I talk to them and drum corps gets mentioned, you can just feel the *sigh* as they think about the opportunity they passed up for some reason or another. I was fortunate to march for two summers, and even then I feel like i wish I had more opportunities.

It's kind of a sad part of the world we live in that this experience is only available until you're 21. It's not entirely DCI's fault for making that rule, because society as a whole expects us to do something else with our lives when we approach that age. Yes, it's true that the world outside of drum corps is so vast and complex that it might be good for people to explore it. But having marched, I've found that there is absolutely nothing in this world can compare to the experience of marching a DCI season.

It's never too late to march, my friend ---> http://www.dcacorps.org/

All ages welcome. Way cheaper than DCI and it's weekends-only so you can keep your job and family. If you can't do competetive DCA consider an alumni corps.

Go march.

Jim

Here's why........because I never marched(corps anyway).

I know exactly what you mean, though I never made it into a corps. The season is always a little bittersweet for me as well. :(

I've been considering the All-Ages option more and more, though. If there was a corps a little closer to my area, I definitely go to check it out.

ross102591 - Wow, I can empathise to some degree. While I did have the opportunity to march jr. corps, I never got to march DCI. I was in the Marine Corps at age 18, and was over 21 when I got out. Always wish I could have marched with the Troopers too. Everything about the Casper corps was always so perfect to me.

But after the Marine Drum & Bugle Corps, I did Sr. corps. Now, Sr. and Jr. are NOT the same. But all-age is fun. It is exciting. The friendships are just as good as those in DCI. So, before you are gone from this earth...I hope you march.

As for what MIGHT have been, with the Troopers and you...my guess is it would have been..."the best!!!" :)

Ross - just re-read your post and noticed the left-coast thing. Check out SF Renegades. Good corps and they were looking for snares a week or two back.

Jim

and Lee said in his latest Renegades blog that you could still drop a line if you wanted to amrch snare with SFRenegades.

-C

two things one. why don't u just do a senior corps

two. can u be my dad because i doubt my parents will ever let me march

two things one. why don't u just do a senior corps

two. can u be my dad because i doubt my parents will ever let me march

We had a member from Michigan a couple of years ago in Dutch Boy and I'm sure you would be welcome there.

I'm a parent with two daughters that marched so here's my advice. Get all the facts, get the director of Dutch (or whichever corps you decide on) to be available to answer questions, and present all the evidence on why this would be a good thing for you in a mature, logical and respectful way, including what you are going to do to help with the costs (part time job, whatever works for you). A year or two in Div 2-3 may pave the way for you to get them onside for a Div 1 corps.

In the end, if it doesn't work you have to live by the rules of your parent's house, however much you may disagree with them. If you can't make it work, again there is always senior corps when you are living on your own and can make those decisions for yourself.

Cheers

Jim

Edited by kusankusho