quick question... not meant to stir the pot.

thanks everyone... I appreciate it.

~>conner

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

*DISCLAIMER* it's become hard to find a thread where someone isn't expressing displeasure.

my question to the older folks of DCP is this...

How do you think you make people feel who march nowadays, and are going to begin marching soon?

Rarely do I find threads that are complimentary of today's drum corps.

That's not only being rude to people who march, but it's also just plain immature.

I'm asking why you all do it, because I just want an answer... Why can't everyone just love drum corps, and quit complaining?

thanks.

~>conner

Well, you are fifteen, thats probably why you dont have the answers yet. I bet some fifteen year old will ask YOU the same thing when you are 30+ . I also dont believe you arent trying to "stir the pot" most people here give the reasons why they dislike some of the things about todays band.....er, drum corps... so I think you are trying a little, no ??

And, to what degree someone likes something or dislikes something, and it doesnt jive with the same level as yours, doesnt mean someone likes it any less, or more...."Why cant everyone just love drum corps" is pretty rude on your part since you are deciding how much people like something becuase they have a place to vent or discuss things about ana ctivity they helped build for you !

Based on number of shows, ticket sales and the rest of the criteria.....more people are speaking in real life, and a lot louder than anyone is one here.

Hope there is an activity for you to show displeasure with in twenty years, Wonder what you will "hate" then ??

~G~

point taken, but partially ignored.

~>conner

no offense Michael, but I'm not about to be lectured by someone who just promised to go get a hotdog during a show that they have never seen, because they are

satisfied in knowing you aint mising much since you really fell in love with this activitty for the brass/percussion sound, not mediocre sound systems or voice overs when you should be hearing instruments, or silly non-sensical speaking or more gimmics.

and if this thread was meant to stir the pot, then there would have been a lot more # signs.

~>conner

Part of what you are seeing is a phenomenum of the internet messages boards. Some people tend to abandon all filtering in their communication. In the name of "honesty" they post their opinions without regard for the feelings of those who might read them. They have the perspective of an adult and the approach of a adolescent in some cases. It is too bad.

At the same time I think there are plenty of people on these boards voicing their opinions clearly without being offensive.

Your best barometer of whether people enjoy and appreciate what you are doing is not a message board, but rather their reaction in the stands. I believe you will find that most of the people complaining here will be in the stands clapping.

Connor, another thing to keep in mind is that message boards in general tend to attract people who have something to say, and in general people who are unhappy and discontent have more to say than people who are happy. This is true in all aspects of life - for all the "Squeaky Wheels" out there, there are a lot more wheels that have no need to squeak.

If you want to find affirmation of the activity, go to a real live show and listen to the applause and cheers. THAT is the way to gauge the success of a corps' show, not the rants posted on a message board. Back when I marched (I can't believe I just said that!) the internet didn't exist so there was no way to gauge fan reaction other than by how many times they stood up and went nuts during a performance. While messages posted on a board like this might last longer in time, the emotional impact of seeing an entire stadium of people cheering for what you and your friends just did burns a much deeper and more meaningful memory into your soul. Hopefully someday when you march you'll get to experience that joy firsthand, and when you do I suspect you'll be much better prepared to handle an occasional negative comment from someone with a different opinion.

(edit - heh, nice to see the gentleman above me voicing the same general thoughts. Guess I type slow!)

Edited by mattvk

no offense Michael, but I'm not about to be lectured by someone who just promised to go get a hotdog during a show that they have never seen, because they are

and if this thread was meant to stir the pot, then there would have been a lot more # signs.

~>conner

Thats right, and a pretzel too ! I , as a paying customer, will do as I choose, and opt out of a fiasco otherwise known as todays "modern drum corps" . Idont have to like it, it doesnt mean I cheat on my taxes, kick cats, yell at old ladies crossing the street, or steal my neighbors TV guide. It just means I dont want to see some aspects of an activity in which I love, helped support and still do, and was a part of. Its not a crime and Im not rquired to go ga-ga over every aspect of it.

We are all individuals, we all have different likes and dislikes, and the only thing we should try to do is respect that. I dont have to like a particular show, and you dont have to come to the hot dog stand with me while its on. But, we are both there arent we ??

~G~

you can do as you choose, and I, of course, can't stop you. While I dont really agree with your stand on drum corps, I do respect it to an extent, just like I respect your opinions (again, for the most part.)

no hard feelings, just wanted to say what I thought needed to be said. This thread has obviously generated some good discussion, and I do not regret starting it.

PS- I still think you should give The Cadets a shot. but if you dont, that's your choice. just saying.

~>conner

Connor, another thing to keep in mind is that message boards in general tend to attract people who have something to say, and in general people who are unhappy and discontent have more to say than people who are happy. This is true in all aspects of life - for all the "Squeaky Wheels" out there, there are a lot more wheels that have no need to squeak.

If you want to find affirmation of the activity, go to a real live show and listen to the applause and cheers. THAT is the way to gauge the success of a corps' show, not the rants posted on a message board. Back when I marched (I can't believe I just said that!) the internet didn't exist so there was no way to gauge fan reaction other than by how many times they stood up and went nuts during a performance. While messages posted on a board like this might last longer in time, the emotional impact of seeing an entire stadium of people cheering for what you and your friends just did burns a much deeper and more meaningful memory into your soul. Hopefully someday when you march you'll get to experience that joy firsthand, and when you do I suspect you'll be much better prepared to handle an occasional negative comment from someone with a different opinion.

(edit - heh, nice to see the gentleman above me voicing the same general thoughts. Guess I type slow!)

I do understand what you're saying. I will never forget when I got to see Madison 04, and when the DM turned around and started screaming... the crowd went nuts. Shortly after I attended that show at nightbeat, I joined these forums, and noticed all the negative opinions about Madison 04... right after I heard a crowd of around 5000 went nuts over it!

so, yeah, I completely understand what you all have to say about that.

~>conner