quick question... not meant to stir the pot.

I know it's human nature, and I dont disagree with that.

What I do disagree with is hurting people's feelings because people decide since amps are present, the show automatically sucks. It's not a matter of age, it's just ridiculous. It'd be a lot more pracitcal, and a lot more "Friendly" to just say "Well, I think I liked what they did, but I just dont like amps," instead of "They suck, because they use amps."

get it?

~>conner

No, it only sucks when the front ensemble "out blows" the horn line. YUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

absolutely most eloquently put... :rock: I can't imagine this doesn't say it all in response to Conner's inquiry...

just don't march and you won't have to worry about it..

but i hardly doubt you'll worry about it much if you do march..

who said life was sugar plums and pretty flowers??

Life is like a bug hitting the windshield of a vette' going 120

One other thing to consider, along with Paul's post - I don't think anyone from the "old school" has ever said or implied that drum corps is "worse" today than in the past - just much different - and I agree with Paul that today's corps are faster, much better musically trained/educated, and that shows are far more complex.

So Connor, don't sweat the small stuff, just get out there and do it!

This may have already been said (I don't have time to read through this entire thread), but:

1. It's not always the "older guys" that are upset about the recent changes in DCI.

2. Not all "older guys" think all of the changes are bad.

You know what happens when we assume, right? (Hint: ###-u-me) :)

I marched in the "old days." It was hard. I've been a volunteer/observor for a number of the more recent "new days."

Ain't no way in h e ll that what I was physically expected to do back then is as hard as it is today - AND I WAS A MARCHING TYMPANI!!!

The duration of the daily practices, the speed, the twists and turns demanded of the body, the length of the touring season, sleeping on buses (we never did), astroturf and parking lots (we almost always practiced and performed on grass), etc., etc.

We played more notes as snare drummers, and we played with higher stick heights. That's about the only difference in terms of physical demand. But, it was at 128 bpm, up and down the fifty-yard line, much lighter drums, two-hour a day practices (two or three times a week, since we only toured about two weeks straight at any time during the summer), etc.

We ate in restaurants. We slept on cots or in the homes of host corps. I can rarely remember NOT having hot showers in the locker rooms (schools must have been nicer to drum corps back then!). Bus rides were an hour or two - not six or eight hours. We had shows every two or three days, not every single day!

I could have marched, physically, in a modern drum corps (though not reading music would have probably doomed me!). I know that some of my friends, howevere, would not have been able to physically keep up with the demands of marching, touring, practicing, etc.

I LOVE old time drum corps, even though I can now acknowledge that much of it was pretty sub-par in terms of its musicality, performance quality, etc. There is much about modern drum corps that I really, really do NOT like - performance-wise, but I understand why it is what it is - and most importantly that the kids who are participating nowdays LIKE IT THAT WAY.

So, I live with the fact that the guards arnen't as macho/daring as they seemed to be in my day. The drums are not featured nearly as much or as well (god I hate that "hide on the back sideline during the ballad" c r ap!!!). The horns don't blow my hair back (I'd sacrifice some quality for a loud sound more often). And even the drills, as totally captivating and imaginative as they are, don't always grab me, emotionally, as well as a company front did.

No, I can't sit through a four-hour drum corps show. I only find about 30 - 45 minutes (combined!) of entertainment in a Finals show. But I'm thrilled to be a volunteer, helping to provide today's kids with what THEY want out of these great drum corps experiences of today - no matter what my feeling of the performance is.

Regardless, they work harder than I ever did. I applaud them for that and fully acknowledge it without reservation.

sort of feel bad for bumping this topic... but I couldn't ignore this.

Thank you so much for that post... It was, in short, what I was looking for, all put together in one of the best posts I have ever read on any forum.

so for that, thanks a lot.

~>conner

I totally misread this...

I thought you somehow meant 72 was somehow their second non-finalist year.

Sorry...

i mean 02 was the 2nd. my bad

Edited by jeffsnewjetta

This may have already been said (I don't have time to read through this entire thread), but:

1. It's not always the "older guys" that are upset about the recent changes in DCI.

2. Not all "older guys" think all of the changes are bad.

You know what happens when we assume, right? (Hint: ###-u-me) :)

shhh the kids who come on here and disagree just dont know any better

:worthy:

thats what i think everytime i hear someone say kids who disagree have no clue

Thank you so much for that post... It was, in short, what I was looking for, all put together in one of the best posts I have ever read on any forum.

so for that, thanks a lot.

~>conner

Paul Milano is good about that sort of thing. He can make a post that can open your eyes and let you see the truth. When he speaks (if you are ever lucky enough to chat with him personally), not only will he move you to tears with his passion for drum corps, he will get choked up himself. He is among the wisest and most knowledgeable drum corps advocates to have in your corner. No matter what the topic is, I can guarantee you that Paul will have sage advice and words of wisdom that anyone in drum corps can learn from.

My own disclaimer - I did not read every response, but did glance them over, so pardon me if I overlap w/ what others have said.

I work for the Military, and have since 1989. One thing that you see over and over, is the older folks telling the younger ones 'you should have seen it back when' ; for example when I started in 1989, we still had nuke-loaded bombers on alert, untold megatons aimed at the Soviet Union, etc' It certianly is different now - look at today's headlines and see the new threat(s) we are dealing with.

It's the same thing w/ drum corps - someone said it was human nature. "Back when I was your age, this is how it was. You youngun's have it easy...'

All I can really advise is go out there, march wherever you can. I had an absolute blast in what would now be called a Div III corps. I don't think we ever (when I marched) won a show. But it was still something I (obviously) keep in touch with.

Paul – Right on the mark. I have just returned to the activity after a 30 plus year absence, and man is it ever different. Most of the changes I like, some are incomprehensible to me. But, it is what it is. If it doesn’t work for you, stay home. If it does, go see it. I chose to go see it.

Connor – Please don’t take this the wrong way but…

Toughen up. Life will be full of people expressing opinions you disagree with in ways you don’t like. Blow it off. If you chose to do drum corps (and you should), don’t worry about the fact that some people won’t like your corps’ product, they won’t and that’s it.

Do it for you, your corps-mates, and the audience. Enjoy the experience and embrace the lessons it will teach you, one of which is, if someone doesn’t like your corps or your show – screw ‘em!

Dude, go out, have fun, and take no prisoners. Good luck, you WILL enjoy it.