Tuba = Contra / Contra = Tuba ?

I'm not an expert or anything, but I always thought that soprano and contrabass referred to the voice ranges in the ensemble. If that's the case, then it doesn't really matter if they're bugles or trumpets or tubas or what key they're in; you could still call them sops and contras. B)

Because the manufactures of these instruments UNDERSTAND the differeneces in how they make them.

You will NOT find a B flat horn listed as a BUGLE on the Kanstul or DEG website.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think I have ever been involved in a BAND activity where the conductor says sopranos or contras.The only time I ever heard of the Soprano and Contra being used as a "Voice" is when a B flat corps wants to be called that.

In general,,every conductor I have had the privilege of working under in a BAND activity would say trumpets and tubas when he wishes to address the Trumpets and Tubas.

I can only think of one time when this did happen.,,one conductor was speaking about a section of the music and he wanted the ALTO parts brought out,,he said..I want the ALTO parts here to really lead.Then he went on to say which instuments carried the ALTO voice.

no matter what tuning it had when it left the factory. if you have to pay to play it. and then suffer with bus trips, buss hair, no food, gym floors, cold showers, pain, don't know how in the #### you got that type of tan, strange lump on one shoulder, weeks/months without being able to see your folks or bedroom, low scores, high scores, lost items, live out of a bag-suitcase, etc... and have one of the BEST FREAKING TIMES of your life....

well that is how you sell Drum Corps to newbies... DC does still stand for Drum & Bugle Corps right?

Drack,

I was gonna just lurk on this one. I'm almost tired of hammering this subject, but I just have to say, I feel the pain, the emotion in your quote!

btw, Tom McD IS ol' drum corps. Yep, he has lotsa Bb time, too. I'm gonna leave now. Too emotional on this hot 'tater...<Whistlin' in soprano voice.>

Drack,

I was gonna just lurk on this one. I'm almost tired of hammering this subject, but I just have to say, I feel the pain, the emotion in your quote!

btw, Tom McD IS ol' drum corps. Yep, he has lotsa Bb time, too. I'm gonna leave now. Too emotional on this hot 'tater...<Whistlin' in soprano voice.>

Thanks for the nod, Cozy.

I have to add that, having been away from the activity awhile, I have to bow to the insights and experience of those still carrying it on.

With all the work it has taken to bring dc to where it is now; ya'll can call the instruments whatever you want!

I hope that I can just bring a little fresh perspective, having returned to the activity after a long stretch of experience in a different genre. And I hope that, as I report on our little experiment here in Albany, I may be able to add something to the discussion.

who says those were Bb bugles?

didn't they call those groups trumpet corps?

Yeppers. They even called themselves "band." -- A trumpet-playin' drum corps band. Snap a photo here. It's rare that you see me put "corps band" side-by-side." But to be true to the history of Canada, England, etc., yes, trumpet corps, trumpet band. Thanks to Bruce Lindsay, Mr. B, Tom Peashey, et al. for learnin' me.

Because the manufactures of these instruments UNDERSTAND the differeneces in how they make them.

You will NOT find a B flat horn listed as a BUGLE on the Kanstul or DEG website.

The differences are minimal; many of the parts are the same for both the Bb and G horns. Generally the name is just given to distinguish between the two keys of marching brass.

I'm not an expert or anything, but I always thought that soprano and contrabass referred to the voice ranges in the ensemble. If that's the case, then it doesn't really matter if they're bugles or trumpets or tubas or what key they're in; you could still call them sops and contras. B)

Andy and Ed are both correct!

Ed's post is proving a theory of mine. Through powerful marketing, we corps nuts are being reeducated, especially the younger generations who will have the task of carrying on our great traditions and, yes, innovations. We're going to have to accept new terms, new instruments, or just go out defiantly like Lothar. I've only got enough energy to worry about slammin' high runs while marching backwards and avoiding a contra bell implanting in the back of my head. I can't fight city hall, too. #### knows I tried.

Virtually every post here is correct. Please, just learn the history. Kevin G. mentioned history. He's wanting to soak up more. Understand why some are so intensely emotional, just as "the other side" is. I prefer to think of the lifestyle concepts that Drack, Tom McD (even when they slightly disagree), et al. have eloquently rolled out.

Over the years when ever I have described Drum Corps to someone who has not marched or seen it live. I say "Think of it as a professional Marching Band"

The way I have always described it to people is "It is kind of like 'marching band on steroids' without woodwinds". Also, I would never think of calling a true contra a tuba, or a trumpet a sop. But I have slipped up a couple times with the high school band I teach and called the tuba section contras.

just had a thought. I know that the new batch of horns out there are standard horns and not old school DC bugles. but do we as DC Marching members want to call them anything other then Sops, Mells/altos, French, Euph, Baris, CONTRA's!!!!

my reason for this queston is to fold...

Over the years when ever I have described Drum Corps to someone who has not marched or seen it live. I say "Think of it as a professional Marching Band" but now with the words we are using... That is what it has become. Why??? I'm not putting down Marching Bands. But i have alway's figured that we set a higher standard. #### we pay to do this crap!!!!!

so yes, it's a trumpet by make. but in the hands of a fellow field warrior I will still call it a Sop. and a screachy one to boot!

any thoughts??

Drack Babe!

Contra is Contra is Contra is Contra is Contra is Contra is Contra is Contra is Contra is Contra is Contra is Contra is Contra is Contra is Contra is Contra is Contra is Contra is Contra is Contra is Contra is Contra is Contra is Contra is Contra is Contra is Contra is Contra is Contra is Contra is Contra is Contra is Contra is Contra is Contra is Contra is Contra is Contra is Contra is Contra is Contra is Contra is Contra is Contra is Contra is Contra is Contra is Contra is Contra is Contra is Contra is Contra is Contra is Contra is Contra is Contra is Contra is Contra is Contra is Contra is Contra is Contra is Contra is Contra is Contra is Contra is Contra is Contra is Contra is Contra is Contra is Contra is Contra is Contra is Contra is Contra is Contra is Contra is Contra is Contra is Contra is Contra is Contra is Contra is Contra is Contra is Contra is Contra is Contra is Contra is Contra is Contra is Contra is Contra is Contra is Contra is Contra is Contra is Contra is Contra is Contra is Contra is Contra is Contra is Contra is Contra is Contra is Contra is Contra is Contra is Contra is Contra is Contra is Contra is Contra is Contra is Contra is Contra is Contra is Contra is Contra is Contra is Contra is Contra is Contra is Contra is Contra is Contra is Contra is Contra is Contra is Contra is Contra is Contra is Contra is Contra is Contra is Contra is Contra is Contra is Contra is Contra is Contra is Contra is Contra is Contra is Contra is Contra is Contra is Contra is Contra is Contra is Contra is Contra is Contra is Contra is Contra is Contra is Contra!

b**bs

Whew! That was different!

Nuff Said! :P

I don't think I have ever been involved in a BAND activity where the conductor says sopranos or contras.The only time I ever heard of the Soprano and Contra being used as a "Voice" is when a B flat corps wants to be called that.

In general,,every conductor I have had the privilege of working under in a BAND activity would say trumpets and tubas when he wishes to address the Trumpets and Tubas.

I can only think of one time when this did happen.,,one conductor was speaking about a section of the music and he wanted the ALTO parts brought out,,he said..I want the ALTO parts here to really lead.Then he went on to say which instuments carried the ALTO voice.

I haven't run into many high school kids, or even college band members, that have much experience with Drum Corps, let alone G bugles. There's no reason to use words they don't understand.

And generally, Bb corps directors have been yelling directions at their sopranos and contras for years before they were ever teaching a trumpet and tuba line. Old habits die hard, a theory which is proved in many ways by this thread.